Join our zoo community

The Wilds The Wilds - Park News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 17 Dec 2008.

1. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

The Wilds is now home to the only 3rd generation White Rhinoceros on the continent. There is currently a study occuring the zoos across the country to determine factors related to the lack of breeding by captive bred White Rhinoceros. Lara Metrione, the principal investigator of this project, has spent the last year traveling across the country observing rhino behaviors in various zoos for a month at a time. Hopefully she can find some correlations in factors related to successful breeding.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was wondering about the Indian rhino breeding programme at The Wilds. Whom has left the collection recently (2008/2009) as a male has gone 'AWOL' here!

I suspect the likely contender is Himal - who has now sired 3 calves - as Assam is a no-hoper (and too over-represented genes at that) and Rustam is supposed to be the next sire for the 3 Indian cows at The Wilds. I suppose Rustam has already been in with Manjula (the calf born in 2005 to Dailey) and will shortly also be made acquainted to both prove cows Dailey and Sanya.

Anyone has any updates on the Indian rhinos?

3. Ungulate

Ungulate Well-Known Member

You are correct, sir! Himal moved this past November (2008) to the Montgomery Zoo in Alabama. Unfortunately, I don't have any other updates ...

4. Buckeye092

Buckeye092 Well-Known Member

I finally went to the Wilds for the first time today. Here are a few updates on the park.

1) The Wilds now has only 1.1 Dholes. One of the males has gone to San Diego so hopefully they will see some breeding soon if the Toronto dholes aren't related to the San Diego ones.

2) The Park recently welcomed 3 baby Scimitar Horned Oryx, 10 American Bison, 2 Persian Onager, and 1 Asian Wild Horse.

3) They have a new male Indian Rhino - I'm not sure who but they should restart their breeding program soon.

I'll post pictures later.

5. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

I think the male Asian Wild Dogs (dholes) are actually from the Toronto Zoo's 2006 litter

6. EvilKittie

EvilKittie Well-Known Member

wow alot of bison ;O

7. Buckeye092

You are correct - all three (2.1) are from Toronto.

8. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Well-Known Member

I need to get back to the Wilds. I've been meaning to go it just hasn't worked out. What other carnivores do they have now? There were none on my last visit a number of years ago.

9. Buckeye092

The current Carnivore collection includes:
    1.1 Dhole
    4.5 Cheetah
    2.3 Cape Hunting Dog

10. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are the dholes hard to see? The carnivore cages look pretty big and wooded. If I drive 4 hours to the Wilds,the dholes will be the main reason.

11. Buckeye092

The dholes are very easy to see and are well worth the trip. I'll post some pictures later of my last visit.

12. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I got a postcard from their staff recently saying "we hope to have cheetah cubs this summer." Maybe it will happen in time for our 2009 ZooChat USA trip (since it looks like Ohio will be the trip poll winner).

13. Buckeye092

I'll be traveling to the Wilds again tomorrow. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures again and I'll report on any breeding updates (Possible Cheetah Cubs and if the Indian Rhinos Have been put together). Im also going to post a "walk through" since no one has done that yet for the park.

If anyone wants a specific picture or update feel free to post before tomorrow morning. I'll see what I can do.

14. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Any photos of the Indian rhinos would be cool. Would you find out how many they intend to house there and have now.

Are they using one of the imported bulls from India that came in the shipment via San Deigo zoo?

15. Zoogoer2000

Mark, one of the females at The Wilds is Patrick and Indira's third and final offspring from 1999

I know you saw Sanjay in 97 and really liked the rhinos so i just though i'd let you kn ow about all this

16. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Yes Thanks for that but I knew, lol, I think she was the very first IR to be used for AI work and delivered a calf which died at birth

17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Could not quite follow your exchanges ...

At NY Bronx it is Sanjay (b. 1994). At Wilds it is Sanja (b. 1999).
    The AI female is Niki (b. 1991) at Cincinnati.

Off topic: I do feel that Cincinnati need to get an unrelated bull a.s.a.p. in order to be able to breed natural too ... (it seems sad that 2 highly desirable cows in the right age classes have remained without access to one for so long).

18. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

I agree with what you have said, maybe the SSP could swap a bull with the EEP?.

19. Zoogoer2000

Nikki was Toronto Zoo's first calf (b 1991) and she was also the first indian rhino born in Canada. She was also the first ever indian rhino to conceive thorugh AI (Although her calf was stillborn)

Sanjay was the second calf (b 1994) and the only male calf of the three

Sanya was the third and last calf of the three (b 1999)

Nikki is at Cincinatti

Sanjay is at Bronx

Sanya is at The Wilds

20. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thanks Zoogoer