Join our zoo community

The zoo from hell

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by DavidBrown, 13 Mar 2013.

1. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you could imagine the worst possible zoo that you could ever find yourself in, what would it be?

David Brown's Zoo from Hell would feature 3 exhibits:

1. Brown rat nocturnal walk-through exhibit. My memory of the brown rat exhibit in the London Zoo nocturnal house still gives me the creeps.

2. Small, yappy dog immersion exhibit where the dogs yap and growl at you as soon as you get within 50 feet of the exhibit. Isn't it fun when you walk by someone's yard or car and their miniature dog barks and growls at you? Imagine the joy of that replicated in a zoo!

3. Pigeon walk-through aviary. Come get pooped on by flying rats!

Newt and StoppableSan like this.
  2. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Australian Reptile Park already has it. It's called Spider World. I love snakes but can't bear to go near spiders, irrational though I know it to be.

Generally not a fan of terrestrial inverts of any type, except maybe stick insects, praying mantises and the like. They just don't appeal to me in the same way that the vast majority of vertebrate species do. Not sure why.

3. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Before the revamp of the small mammal house at London Zoo, the nocturnal section contained Striped Possum, Kowari, Pigmy Glider, Slow Loris, Pigmy Slow Loris and Fat-tailed Dwarf Lemur.

How they all ended up leaving and Brown Rats were chosen to be the first species on view is something that is beyond me.

Kakapo likes this.
  4. arcticwolf

arcticwolf Well-Known Member

Here are a few exhibits that I thought of:

1: box jellyfish and electric eel touch tanks
    2: cassowary walk through enclosure
    3: walk through mosquito exhibit
    4: bee, wasp, and hornet encounter (like a butterfly house but with a bunch of angry bees, wasps, and hornets)
    5: daily army ant walks (kind of like how some zoos take their penguins for walks around the zoo)

Newt, Beastking04, ZSH and 4 others like this.
  5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

6. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, the theme is somewhat similar, but I was hoping that people would imagine the worst possible whole zoo that they would least like to visit (or have actually visited) based on personal fears and annoyances.

7. Chlidonias

I guess I'd have to say an empty zoo (i.e. with no animals). I can't imagine any other zoo being hell for me. Even if it was only filled with sleeping lions I'd still get something out of it.

ifesbob and birdsandbats like this.
  8. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What about an overnight stay with sleeping in a huge dent filled with vampire bats...?;)

9. arcticwolf

arcticwolf Well-Known Member

I thought of some more exhibits for my zoo from hell.

6: canoe ride through hippo exhibit
    7: swim with the crocodiles exhibit
    8: antivenin exhibit (get bitten by a venomous snake and hope that the antivenin works)
    9: camel reverse feeding station (instead of you giving them food, they spit food on you)

Newt, ifesbob and Canihelpyou? like this.
  10. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

Not quite as creative as the rest of you, but my worst zoo would have no primates in sight and be full of ungulates (but no exciting ones).

It would also give priority viewing to s reaming children, and not have mayonnaise to go on my chips! :)

11. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My ideal zoo is full of ungulates. Although I do agree that I wouldn't want to see a zoo with no primates. I prefer ketchup on my "chips" so I suppose that wouldn't be too pleasant.

12. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Touch-pools are quite populair at the moment so why not a touch-pool filled with piranhas and if possible the accient onces from the movie :)

Van Beal likes this.
  13. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

A cockroach, millipede and spider zoo with touch tanks. < shudder >

Van Beal likes this.
  14. Chlidonias

15. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Continuing the touch-pool theme, what about crocodiles & hippos?

16. Cypselurus

Cypselurus Well-Known Member

Be a target for archerfish! Put a scuttling cockroach on your face and hope the archerfish's aim is dead on, and not going into your eyes, nose, or ears. And that's if the insect doesn't go to those places first.

Birdsage, Van Beal and Mr Gharial like this.
  17. EmmaT

EmmaT New Member

Depending on the reason the zoo was empty this could be my idea of the zoo from hell or the zoo from heaven.

If there were no animals because all species had been wiped out and therefore there were no animals to conserve in the zoo I agree that would be my idea of the zoo from hell.

If the zoo was empty because conservation efforts had succeeded, and all the animals which were in the zoo had been returned to live in their natural habitat and were thriving there with no interference from any of their non-natural predators, I'd be very happy to have an empty zoo as a reminder/tribute to conservationists success. :D.

ifesbob, Birdsage and animal_expert01 like this.
  18. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That last part would be nice, although I think you would still need animal "ambassadors."

19. beastdoctor

beastdoctor Active Member

The yappy dog exhibit idea is not my idea of a fun zoo exhibit either.

Birdsage likes this.
  20. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A zoo designed for and filled with nothing but annoying bunny huggers!:eek: Mainly, if the Bronx Zoo became that! shutter

Also, if I went to a zoo supposedly filled with tons of rarities and then found out that they all left before I got there and there was nothing left but all common zoo species I've seen plenty of before!

~Thylo:cool: