Join our zoo community

The zoo i want to start

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by ungulate nerd, 20 Jul 2012.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

calm down Malayan Tiger. Ungulate Nerd doesn't need you getting so angry about his dream. Support him, sure, but calm down about it. Ungulate Nerd is actually pretty mature about taking criticism on board and learning from it.

2. Malayan Tiger

Malayan Tiger Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that one can "learn" from another telling them to stick to a computer game instead of the real world. The ones we should be angry at are the critics of the wonders of Zoology, the ones who do not have hope for zoos!

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I suggest you listen and learn from Chlidonias friendly warning!!!

4. Malayan Tiger

Forget the argument, but I still think one can make a zoo if they set their mind to it.

5. Malayan Tiger

Forget the argument, but I still think one can build a zoo if they set their mind to it.
    Lets get back to the meaning of Zoochat: friendly discussion of animals and zoos with no hostilities from those opposing the hopes of others.

6. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Only one person was getting all heated and arguing and it wasn't me!!

7. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't think we should argue back and forth whether or not this could happen. He's got a long life ahead of him,and who knows what could happen? It seems foolish to make assumptions about the future when we can't see it. I think we should support him and give him constructive criticism to help him achieve his goals instead of doubting him and telling him to "stick to Zoo Tycoon".

8. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sadly it is all too true that 'anyone can build a zoo' and there a lot of miserable animals who are paying the price.

9. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Judging from recent reports about private zoos in the Ukraine and Russia, the best advice one can give to "ungulatenerd" is: get a job that earns you tons of money, invest cleverly, then go to said countries and build your zoo there...And maybe ask Gérard Depardieu for some advice on this behalf. ;)

And if I may be brutally honest: the postulated idea of a "stamp collection" like species assembly with special focus on rare species, in particular ungulates, has become a lapsed and outdated concept ("like Moscow in the 1960s/Hanover in the 1980s..:" sic!), no longer compatible with most of modern zoo husbandry, terms of official international animal acquisition, public/political expectations regarding zoos etc. etc.-at least in most of the 1st World. One can be divided on whether this is a good thing or not, but it is taking place. So maybe a better defined, realistic and original concept (a petting zoo with hands-on experience for city-dwelling kids and rare domestic breeds, an American "Night Safari" / Nocturnal Zoo, a zoo/botanical garden displaying and educating about invasive species in CA ...) might be more grounded on reality?

Last edited: 8 Jul 2014
  10. golden lion tam

golden lion tam Member

Take real Steps

You might want to contact The Non Profit Learning Institute, they have given me some real good advise on starting a zoo.You can contact me at millerszoosanctuary.org.