Join our zoo community

The zoo

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by torie, 29 Jan 2008.

1. bigcat

bigcat Member

CWSR is currently waiting on accreditation from ARAZPA certainly the pair there are able to breed with a new male born November 2006 but breeding is on hold now until CWSR is part of the official ASMP breeding program

2. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

AMEN to that, :D wish it could of been sooner

3. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

I enjoyed the show and I think it is very similar to the NZ and Melbourne ones. I'm hoping to see something about the lioness that was originally born at Auckland. It focused on four storiedsin this episode. The introduction of the pygmy hippos, the dhole cubs and their difficult birth, a lion at Dubbo with a broken tooth and the gorgous and fascinating numbats and their reitroduction to the wild.
    Numbats and bilbies would have to be my favourite Aussies. Both are extremely rare and I hope that neither are ever lost.
    Next week there is something about giraffes (one of my favourite exotics)

4. torie

torie Well-Known Member

another very interesting episode featuring casey the leopard seal, an andian condor and a girraffe birth but next weeks episode looks to be very very interesting as it features Arna and Gigis move to dubbo

5. jay

I'm suprised that episode three will have Arni and Gigi as this happened not very long ago.So these episodes are not very old at all.
    The condor was Leslie.
    And Casey the male leopard seal

6. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The presenter also said there was an 18 month gap between the condor avoiding capture and the show it appeared in in the episode, so we might be seeing things that happened at very different times. . . but will be interesting,

7. torie

torie Well-Known Member

well the Arna and Gigi thing was interesting i think they handled the situation very well and didnt focus on the negitive aspects of life in a circus but more on their new life and the love that their handlers felt for them. the only negitive thing i have to say is that the show focuses only on the positive and if the story doesnt have a happy ending they just leave it off. take the dhole story for example, the ZOO finished the story at a shot of two pups being handraised but make no mention of the fact that one of the pups later dies in a freak reaction to an injection. the othe is the birth of the Binturongs this week they say that three pups were born, 2 boys and a girl but the zoo only published in the media from the time of the birth 1 female neither the ZOO show or the zoos write up of the episodes makes mention of what happened to the two males? people deserve the truth and i think those who watch this show understand that animals die and it is often no fault of the zoo so the full story should be told.
    but thats just my opinion

8. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

taronga zo, god love it, is sometimes a tad defensive. i believe honesty is the best policy, and even taronga lovers like me get annoyed by it at times. people like us can see through the rhetoric and sensationaliam, and i guess when the greens make up whatever story suits the zoo feels its ok to use its discretion......

9. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

The Arna and Gigi bit was most interesting and proved that the circus staff genuinely had affection for the elephants ( and were not the "heartless brutes" that some would suggest.)

Yes, Taronga is a bit defensive, but probably paranoid after all the **** that's thrown at them by noisy, bleeding heart minorities.

10. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

oh come on - lets be honest here, taronga spills just as much bull@#$* as the anti-taronga camp does.

you end up with two sides distorting truth to suit their own agenda and NEITHER camp is telling it how it is.

the same just happened with melbourne. nasty allegations come out, the zoo categorically denies the lot. and as we all know, some of those allegations are indeed very true.

11. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

True,true, in fact if Taronga and Melbourne were being completely honest they would admit that their "new" elephants are in Australia not mainly for conservation purposes but were imported to attract the public. (Babies are a bonus!)

THATS why they are never all going to be shipped off to some fanciful 1000 hectare Elephant Park at Wagga or Wodonga.

12. patrick

*sigh* sometimes i just wish i had never heard of an "elephant".

i miss the days when i wasn't so jaded.

13. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Pat I think you are very close to the mark with what you said

14. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Did anyone see todays episode.
    I've missed the last two 'cos of work.

15. jay

Yep
    The stories were Rocket the black rhino getting her eggs 'done', removed for AI
    A green turtle ythat couldn't sink
    The birth of a certain baby gorilla
    And people with snake paranoia being cured at the zoo, including a staff member who worked with seals buut went hysterical over snakes.

16. torie

torie Well-Known Member

hi Pat,
    Taronga does a summary of each weeks episodes after they have aired including keeper profiles and small follow up stories on some animals. tonights episode isntup yet of course but they are usually updated really quickly and it should be up by tomorroe or tuesday

The Zoo

17. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

Next weeks-

Keepers are watching closely as Libya the fennec fox is due to give birth any day. Jimiyu the giraffe plays rock star for a day as he heads to Sydney. A helpless baby owl has arrived at the wildlife clinic and it's up to vet staff to teach her how to fly and hunt for food. And vets work desperately to save Miles the fur seal who has arrived with serious injuries.

zoo - TV Guide - Yahoo!7

18. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

Seven wants a second series of THE ZOO. saw it for the first time tonight, shame it was the last episode. very feel good. lol
    though i gotta say Dora the Indian Rhino is one ****ed up animal. since he has arrived here he has had feet problems, an infection in his horn and now his eyes. just hoping it isnt another 'tapirish' style problem, although the vets cleared it up with antibiotics.
    the zoos work beyond its fences continues-was great seeing the endangered rehab albatross returned to the wild.

19. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Tonights episode was great, again. I love Dora, He's my third favorite zoo animal in the world (after Bong Su and Mek Kapah)
    And thanks Torie and Jay for that website.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2008
  20. patrick

i despise the seven network, so have never watched "the zoo". that bloody evil mel from sunrise hosts it too doesn't she?

anyone ever noticed how the seven network alone was responsible for the celebritification of a certain paulene hanson? the plug her book on sunrise, refer to her constantly as a "battler" (i think a racist is rather more accurate), threw here on dancing with the stars, chucked david oldfield on celebrity survivor....

evil, evil rubbish. thus i automatically hate the tv program "the zoo"