Join our zoo community

The Zoochat Photographic Guide to Mammals - Index

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by TeaLovingDave, 3 Jun 2018.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The Zoochat Photographic Guide to Mammals - Index

As will have been noticed, over the last year or so a number of comprehensive studies of mammal taxonomy have been posted by Zoochatters - in particular @Chlidonias , @lintworm and myself - and we have started discussing the concept of expanding this out to cover extant mammals in their entirety. This will both act as a valuable resource, and highlight the diversity of species represented within the Zoochat gallery - along with where there are gaps in representation which potentially could be filled by future uploads to the gallery.

However, the convenience of this resource will be limited if it remains - as has been the case thus far - scattered throughout the forum. As such we have decided the time is right to post an index of those groups which have been covered in these threads, along with noting which threads are in-progress and the groups remaining to be covered. Each major mammal group will list the thread/threads which deal with the taxa concerned, but for more specific convenience will also list each family classified within the group with hyperlinks to the precise posts in which the family is discussed.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2018
    Terry Thomas likes this.
  2. TeaLovingDave

Last edited: 4 Jun 2018
  3. TeaLovingDave

UngulateNerd92 likes this.
  4. TeaLovingDave

5. TeaLovingDave

Last edited: 3 Oct 2021
    UngulateNerd92 and Brum like this.
  6. TeaLovingDave

Last edited: 15 May 2020
    UngulateNerd92 likes this.
  7. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

TinoPup and Kakapo like this.
  8. TeaLovingDave

Possibly, but it would be incredibly impolite to tread on @lintworm 's toes by creating another thread which would contain the same photographs, taxonomic information and so forth purely to have a thread which "looks" the same as the other ones.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2018
  9. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If anyone is wondering, @lintworm 's thread (Ungulate Taxonomy Revised) only talks about African bovids, so another Artiodactyl thread would be needed for the rest of the species within the order (hippos, deer, non-African bovids, camelids, giraffids, pigs, peccaries and the pronghorn).

10. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Please consider deleting the word 'official' from this thread. An 'official guide' is almost an oxymoron. Are we going to get a less authoritarian 'provisional guide' with opposed parties threatening to knee-cap or disappear ZooChatters who use the wrong name?
    Just call it a guide.

bongorob likes this.
  11. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And as Ungulate Taxonomy is pretty much a minefield, all the background and references help to form an informed opinion. There arecnot many places where such an concise overview of current knowledge is accessible.

In due time the other families will be dealt with as well, you just need a proper dosis of patience.

ThylacineAlive and TheGerenuk like this.
  12. TeaLovingDave

Patience :p as @lintworm has noted, he intends to deal with the other members of the Artiodactyla in time, along with the Perissodactyla, in line with his intention to cover those species discussed within Ungulate Taxonomy.

I think the only portion of the Artiodactyla which is not covered by the book in question is the Cetacea, so this may merit another thread.

Knowing some of the members of this site, one cannot rule this out :p

13. birdsandbats

Are only mammals being covered? I would also like to see some threads done for birds.

And totally not just so we have a Passerine thread longer than The Nonsense Thread :p

14. TeaLovingDave

By definition only mammals would be covered in a mammal taxonomy project :p I'd quite like to do an owl taxonomy thread at some point, but it wouldn't come under the purview of this thread.

birdsandbats likes this.
  15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Yeah, I'd like to do birds as well - but that'd be a long way away yet. The mammal guides take a lot of work.

The Passerines wouldn't be a single thread anyway, obviously. They would be divided over multiple threads.

16. birdsandbats

17. TeaLovingDave

It is worth noting, incidentally, that we would actually like to be notified by PM if someone wants to deal with a group in case the group in question has already been allocated/reserved by someone else. Also, to put it bluntly, so that we can judge whether the person asking is capable of doing a good job and completing the task :p

The thread by @Kakapo is more than welcome, however.

jayjds2 likes this.
  18. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Hmmm... Well, my apologizes, but since I know that admins here see every new thread shortly after publication, I tought that additional notification was unnecessary. Sorry! In the case of the cetacean thread I think that is not a perfect job but more due to the very lack of images (lack of species, lack of alive specimen pics, or lack of good quaility photos showing the entire animal instead just a back or fin over the water surface) than for lack of capacity.

19. TeaLovingDave

I have updated the index to include links to the cetacean and New World primate families which have now been covered, along with links to the threads discussing same.

20. TeaLovingDave

I have updated the index to include links to the Old World and New World primate families which have now been covered and a note that the primate threads in question have been completed, along with links to the Chiropteran families which have now been covered and a link to the thread discussing same.