Join our zoo community

The Zoochat Photographic Guide to Monotremes and Marsupials

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Chlidonias, 10 Apr 2018.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

That's great. I'll add in the two new photos (I'll retain the taxidermy photo by carlos55 as well).

For the ear colour of babies, I really wasn't sure one way or another and reference works don't tend to mention the ears except for adults.

Giant Eland likes this.
  2. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Chlidonias Great thanks!

Yea I had no idea and originally was just going off what the staff at the Rio Zoo had given me for an ID.

iNaturalist is quickly becoming a favorite reference of mine. They didn't have any photos of D. imperfecta on there to compare with. However given the location of the zoo and age of the animal I'd assume it was found locally which gives D. aurita the greatest likelihood.

3. Chlidonias

Just looking through the photos of New World marsupials used in this thread, 13 of the 17 photos are by @Giant Eland...

4. Chlidonias

A new paper has split the Australian populations of Sugar Glider Petaurus breviceps into three separate species (ariel, breviceps, notatus). I can't read the paper other than the abstract but a 2009 paper on Petaurus genetics, on which they partly based their work, found two divergent clades in Australia (equating to the new P. breviceps and P. notatus) plus found that ariel was more closely related to other Petaurus species; and found five divergent clades amongst the Sugar Gliders in New Guinea. I'll be making some changes to the Petaurus post in this thread to reflect this but it will be a little messy because I don't have access to the new paper in full and the New Guinea forms haven't been given any new name(s) as far as I'm aware.

However I think there are photos of all three Australian taxa in the galleries, as well as photos of New Guinea animals (and a 2019 genetic study I found says that probably all the animals in the USA trade are from the Sorong area in New Guinea: The origin of exotic pet sugar gliders (Petaurus breviceps) kept in the United States of America).

2009 paper: https://www.researchgate.net/public...pialia_Petauridae_in_Australia_and_New_Guinea

2020 paper (abstract): Integrative taxonomic investigation of Petaurus breviceps (Marsupialia: Petauridae) reveals three distinct species

2020 popular article: A rare discovery: we found the sugar glider is actually three species, but one is disappearing fast

Last edited: 18 Jul 2020
  5. Chlidonias

The Petaurus post is this one (#47): The Zoochat Photographic Guide to Monotremes and Marsupials

The only photos of wild Sugar Gliders were taken in the Northern Territory (so P. ariel) and in Victoria and tropical Queensland (so both P. notatus).

For the "true" P. breviceps there are no wild photos. The only photos which may show them are of a museum specimen at Queensland Museum (if it was collected locally) and live animals at Wildlife HQ (if they were collected locally), but I have no data on the origin of either. Both photos are by @WhistlingKite24

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The popular article linked in the last posts says "Krefft's glider has a clearly defined dorsal stripe" and "The sugar glider, with a less-defined stripe..." which suggests that the second photo above is P. breviceps (less-defined stripe) and the museum photo isn't (clearly-defined stripe) but this feature doesn't appear to be reliable to me as an identification tool and wild photos of animals outside the range of P. breviceps can also show less-defined dorsal stripes. I've linked both photos within the Petaurus post but not the images themselves as I'm not sure.

I left the New Guinea populations under P. breviceps for want of somewhere better (otherwise I'd have had to head them as "Petaurus "breviceps" New Guinea" or something like that), and used a new photo by @Deer Forest2 from Qinhuangdao Wildlife Park in China as the Sugar Gliders traded in Asia are from New Guinea. (This replaces the photo I had used previously by @Maguari because it shows the whole animal).

[​IMG]

6. Chlidonias

I have now read the new paper on the Sugar Glider splits. Interestingly they also mention another genetic lineage in The Kimberley in Western Australia which exists alongside P. ariel and may be another cryptic species but the data for that one is extremely limited; and some unusual results from Cape York Peninsula which fall more-or-less within P. gracilis (the Mahogany Glider) genetically but are morphologically quite different, being only a quarter of the size.

They mention in passing the five genetic clades in New Guinea as found in the 2009 paper, but otherwise concentrate solely on the Australian populations.

I have put the Wildlife HQ photo (shown in the post above) in as a representative of the new split P. breviceps. It seems that with regards to the dorsal stripe in P. breviceps, it is only sharply defined on the head and then indistinct or absent on the back, whereas in P. notatus it is quite obvious as far along the back as to the hind legs. Also P. notatus has an obvious tapering tail, whereas P. breviceps has a tail of consistent width (this can't be seen in the Wildlife HQ photos, but I found a Youtube video of the same animals). Both features - dorsal stripe and tapering tail - can be seen in the photo below of a wild P. notatus in tropical Queensland which is used in the Petaurus post:

[​IMG]

It seems like the white tail-tip may also a distinguishing feature, although I'm not sure this is reliable. It seems larger in P. notatus and small in P. breviceps. Interestingly, New Guinea animals seem to all lack the white tail tip (as can be seen in the photo in the previous post) so this is probably an easy way of distinguishing New Guinea from Australian animals at least.

7. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does the new paper--which you said describes 5 clades which do not correspond with the traditional subspecies ranges--give new ranges for the taxa? From my understanding, Sorong is on the tip of Bird's Head Peninsula which is very deep within the traditional range of papuanus while tafa is restricted mostly to Papua New Guinea in the middle of the island. Again, this is based off of the now-outdated ranges, but I'm curious as to where you got the classification of tafa from.

~Thylo

8. Chlidonias

The 2009 paper discusses the New Guinea clades (the new paper merely mentions this in passing). The link to the 2009 paper is a few posts above and is open-access, and it has maps etc - including one (Figure 5) of the New Guinea subspecies versus genetic clades. However, I mixed up the numbers for tafa and papuanus so you are correct and I will fix that error!

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  9. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Until now!!

10. Chlidonias

11. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

Apologies, but surely this has to be some Phalanger. sp, no? It seems there's quite a few images in the ZC gallery which all seem to depict Phalanger rather than Strigocuscus.
    Only this one (and the other of probably the same individual) by Giant Eland look like definite dwarf cusucs.

Chlidonias and animal_expert01 like this.
  12. Chlidonias

I'll check this out when I have some time, and come back to it.

WalkingAgnatha likes this.
  13. Chlidonias

A new photo of Guianan Four-eyed Opossum Philander opossum by @RatioTile has been added into the thread (post #98 here: The Zoochat Photographic Guide to Monotremes and Marsupials).

[​IMG]
    Gray Four-Eyed Opossum (Philander opossum opossum) - ZooChat

The only photos of Philander previously in the Zoochat galleries were taken at Plzen Zoo but I don't know the country of origin of their animals so the actual species is unknown to me. (What was known as the Grey Four-eyed Opossum P. opossum has been split into four species - the "true" P. opossum is now restricted to the Guianan region in northeastern South America).

RatioTile and WalkingAgnatha like this.
  14. Chlidonias

I believe you are correct about the Tarsier Botanika photos. Unfortunately Phalanger species are very confusing (in terms of taxonomy, physical appearances, how photos are labeled on the internet, etc). I have been looking through Flannery's various books on possums without reaching much of a conclusion. It does seem like every small cuscus in an Asian zoo is just labeled as "Sulawesi Dwarf Cuscus", which is annoying.

I don't even know if the ones at Batu Secret Zoo which you linked to are actually Strigocuscus. What are you basing your "look like definite dwarf cuscus" upon? The hind-toes look more like a Phalanger species, and dwarf cuscus are supposed to be brown (or reddish in the Peleng species); they also have fur on the dorsal surface of the tail, although it is very fine and may not be apparent in a photo.

The photos by Alex at Tarsier Botanika look like they are probably one of the group which used to be Common Cuscus (now split into many species) - interestingly his collection of photos of "Sulawesi Dwarf Cuscus" from that visit also include a reddish animal which will be some other species again - The photosession at Tarsier Botanika in Tawala, Philippines).

The only photos I am "sure of" (in quotation marks, because I'm not completely sure!) are the ones of a possum at Taman Safari Bogor labeled as Sulawesi Dwarf Cuscus which, given the white tail, actually depict a very fat Northern Common Cuscus, e.g. the photo below:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Jan 2023
  15. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looking back, I saw the photos of echidnas, and they seem to be unusually variable. Could there be unrecognized species?

Short-beaked echidna from New Guinea has little fur but spines, while Tasmanian form has lots of fur with scattered spines.

Western long-beaked echidna in Moscow is thin, gray and has few hair and few spines on legs, in contrast to fat, black, hairy and much more spiny one from Batu. Although the Moscow echidna could be geriatric?

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

It was actually not all that old when it died; from memory the various animals at Moscow (there were six imported in the mid-1990s, but all but one died rapidly) were quite sickly. There are several other photographs of the last Moscow animal on Zootierliste which show more body hair than the photograph in this thread would imply.

upload_2023-1-30_17-23-59.png

17. Chlidonias

18. Chlidonias