Join our zoo community

The Zoochat Photographic Guide to Monotremes and Marsupials

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Chlidonias, 10 Apr 2018.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have just uploaded a scan of a slide of Doria's tree kangaroo, which I took at Wilhelma, Stuttgart in August 1973, into our Gallery. I uploaded another image from the same visit some time ago; it shows a small kangaroo which was labelled as Dorcopsis muelleri when I took it, but Zootierliste suggests that this animal was actually D luctuosa (although it also suggests that Stuttgart held Dorcopsulus macleayi at that time too). I know very little about marsupial taxonomy and I cannot vouch for these identifications, although I also saw the Doria's at Blackpool which looked very similar, but I draw them to your attention.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2018
    AWP, Chlidonias, jayjds2 and 2 others like this.
  2. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If spiders were more popular in zoos, they could lead to a long thread on the world-wide web.

birdsandbats and ThylacineAlive like this.
  3. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No idea, but I think @AWP might be on the right track! Zootierliste tells me the subspecies was formerly held in a few other collections as well. The day I saw this animal we asked a volunteer if she knew how many sugar gliders were present, and apparently back then there were still 5 animals (2,1,2).

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In the late 1970-ties - beginning 1980-ties ( don't know the exact dates but can try to find out ) Rotterdam had a special exibition about New Guinea and Australia and got most of the animals you mention directly from Australia.

ThylacineAlive and Vision like this.
  5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Thanks very much. I have added the Doria's Tree Kangaroo, and I'll look at the wallaby a bit later.

gentle lemur likes this.
  6. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know, the Notogaea Exhibition of 1977/1978. I read the book about Blijdorp's history some years ago. Rotterdam also got some Northern Island brown kiwi's from the New Zealand government for this exhibition, being the only European zoo at that moment with kiwi's. Some marsupials however arrived some years later (if I'm right the brown bandicoots and a quoll species).

I can't remember which rarities of Down Under were present at my first visit to the zoo, because I was still a little child at that time. I know I have been looking for Tasmanian devils and Brush-tailed Rock Wallabies during later visits in the nineties because they were still mentioned on the map, but by that time these species were already gone.

7. Chlidonias

I had a look at this. Zootierliste says something like "were previously considered D. muelleri". Until the 1980s D. luctuosa was generally included within D. muelleri, which explains that. So I've added the photo into the thread as D. luctuosa.

gentle lemur likes this.
  8. Chlidonias

Some new marsupial photos have been added to the galleries by @Najade - including Short-eared Rock Wallaby, Western Quoll, and Dibbler, all at Perth Zoo - which have replaced some of the photos I had in this thread previously (so apologies to @devilfish, @LaughingDove, and @Hix respectively whose photos of the above three species were replaced).

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  9. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@Chlidonias
    I uploaded a couple pics of extinct species from the South Australian Museum if you wanna use 'em...

ThylacineAlive and Chlidonias like this.
  10. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Rotterdam Zoo published a nice little booklet, in English, in connection with this exhibition

"Notogaea: A Historical Zoogeographic Account of Australia, New Guinea and New Zealand"

According to this publication, the exhibition took place during the winter season 1977 / 1978.

Frustratingly, this booklet doesn't provide a comprehensive list of all the species featured in the exhibition.

11. AWP

I read something about the species featured in the exhibition some years ago, not sure it was in the book of the zoo or some kind of newspaper of magazine article. I'll see if I can find it back.

12. vogelcommando

Found a list in the book Iets grootsch & buitengewoons ( the names are not alway very clear so not all species are given to species-level ) :
    -Kultarr
    -Goodfellows tree-kangaroo
    -Matschie tree-kangaroo
    -Doria tree-kangaroo
    -Quoll ( several species ) ( spotted for sure )
    -Bandicoots ( several species )
    -Bruyns pademelon
    -Sand wallaby
    -Kowari
    -Tasmanian devil
    -Potoroo ( several species, Tasmanian for sure )
    -Red rat kangaroo
    -Hairy-nosed wombat
    -Ground cuscus
    -Tasmanian short-beaked echidna

other animals from this region recieved during this period :
    - dwarf casuaries, Australian cranes, kiwi's, birds of paradise and many more. I was at that time a regular visitor of Blijdorp so must have seen most ( or all ) these species ) althrough I don't remember all of them anymore ( but a good number of them :) ).

13. AWP

I'm trying to acquire the Dutch version of the booklet @Tim May mentioned, with a map included. If I succeed, I'll post a overview of the kept species and their location.

14. AWP

I recieved the booklet with species list today. Not all species mentioned bij @vogelcommando are from the actual Notogaea Exhibition (are you sure about Kultarr?). When I have time, I will put a species list in the Dutch section.

vogelcommando likes this.
  15. vogelcommando

I only provided the list mentioned in the book Iets grootsch & buitengewoons and there Kultarr is mentioned but surtainly not sure if it was realy there.

16. AWP

Some time ago I have been looking in the "Vrienden"-newsletters online to find out the former collection of the Henri Martin-huis, so I know that Blijdorp got new species of quoll, bandicoot, bettong, wombat and cuscus in the 1980's, after the Notogaea Exhibition. According to ZTL, Kultarr was never kept in Europe, so I have my doubts on that one.

17. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is an "Australian Crane" a Brolga or a Sarus Crane?

18. vogelcommando

In this case the Brolga is ment.

animal_expert01 likes this.
  19. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I uploaded three more pics of species that aren't represented yet. The pictures aren't the greatest quality which is why I didn't put them up before, but I guess something is better than nothing...

Chlidonias likes this.
  20. Chlidonias

Thanks.

For others, until I add them into the thread the photos can be seen here:
    Brush-tailed Phascogale (Phascogale tapoatafa) | ZooChat
    Herbert's Rock-wallaby (Petrogale herberti) | ZooChat
    Unadorned Rock-wallaby (Petrogale inornata) | ZooChat

(EDIT: and they are now in the appropriate places in the thread)

Last edited: 1 Jun 2018