Join our zoo community

The Zoochat Photographic Guide to Monotremes and Marsupials

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Chlidonias, 10 Apr 2018.

1. Dannelboyz

Dannelboyz Well-Known Member

I will see if I can find photos for a few subspecies on this list...

I know I have wild photos of Tasmanian brushtails (fuliginosus) and I may have photos of both these and the Tasmanian subspecies of ringtail possum from Wings Wildlife Park, but I'll need to check that. I unfortunately didn't take a photo of either the wild Eastern barred bandicoot I saw in Tasmania, or the rescue at Wings Wildlife Park.

I do have a very blurry photo of a wild breviceps subspecies of sugar glider, but it isn't much good for anything. The individual at Healesville Sanctuary is a rescue, so I am sure it is also breviceps.

I also know that the Leadbeater's possums on display at Healesville Sanctuary are wild-caught individuals from Lake Mountain, so the photo is certainly of the nominate subspecies.

ThylacineAlive and Chlidonias like this.
  2. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

ThylacineAlive and Chlidonias like this.
  3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I've added the Derby's Woolly Opossum (it was a different subspecies to the Colombian one already depicted there which was good).

But your Marmosa mexicana looks like Marmosa zeledoni to me?

4. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes at the time the guide of the night tour said it was Marmosa mexicana because I'd assume he was treating zeledoni as a subspecies same as IUCN does. But based off of HMW I'd have to agree with Marmosa zeledoni.

The whole thing just makes me even more confused about which classification scheme to follow for my own personal life list.

5. Chlidonias

I've added it into the thread as Zeledon's Mouse Opossum. Marmosa zeledoni and Marmosa mexicana actually overlap quite a bit in distribution, so it is pretty clear that they aren't just subspecies.

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  6. Chlidonias

I've added in some more photos of museum specimens taken by @WhistlingKite24 at the Queensland Museum (they can be seen all together in the gallery here: Queensland Museum | ZooChat).

I'm not particularly keen on using taxidermy specimens unless they are of historically extinct species, but many will otherwise go undepicted in the threads.

The "new" species I added in were Cinnamon Antechinus (Antechinus leo), Common Dunnart (Sminthopsis murina), Northern Hairy-nosed Wombat (Lasiorhinus krefftii), Long-tailed Pigmy Possum (Cercartetus caudatus), Honey Possum (Tarsipes rostratus), and Bennett's Tree Kangaroo (Dendrolagus bennettianus). The Honey Possum was the most "important" as it represents a monotypic family.

7. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are there any Northern Hairy-Nosed Wombats on public display in Australia or are they all in private breeding centers?

~Thylo

8. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

There are unfortunately none in Australian zoos, as far as I know.

9. Chlidonias

There are none in captivity. The wild population is mainly at Epping Forest National Park, and there are a small number introduced to the Richard Underwood Nature Refuge. I think the only way to access either is via volunteering.

There is a place in Queensland called Safe Haven which wants to get Northern Hairy-nosed Wombats, but they have none currently. Not sure that they ever will.

10. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Huh, I was always under the impression that there was a small captive breeding program for them. That's quite disappointing to hear otherwise. It's good to hear the national parks their in seem very well protected if one can only access via volunteering. Are they both large enough to sustain a growing population or do they face similar issues as the Javan Rhino?

~Thylo

11. Chlidonias

Both reserves are fully-enclosed. The Epping Forest one is a scientific reserve so is restricted entry. It is only small (31.6 km²) but the wombat population is a relictual one. I don't know anything about the Richard Underwood Nature Refuge, but it is also small I think. However the situation isn't the same as for Javan Rhinos - the total population of the wombats is tiny (c.250 animals) but there is also ample opportunity to create new populations in other areas when the population is large enough.

Regarding captive breeding, this was pretty poor for any wombat species until relatively recently.

12. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That Honey Possum barely looks like the real thing.

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  13. Chlidonias

Maybe you should go back and get a photo of a wild one :p

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  14. Najade

I’ll see what I can do.

Chlidonias likes this.
  15. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

[​IMG]
    You're right, Najade. Perhaps Danny Rose will play for England this afternoon. I don't think Gareth Southgate included a honey possum in his squad.

Najade likes this.
  16. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

In regards to the feathertail glider specimen, I emailed the museum and they were not 100% sure of its origins. They said and I quote, "The specimens that you mentioned are actually part of a display that’s about to be dismantled, so we’ve going to examine them to confirm their identification. I’ll let you know what we find. From my initial observations the tip of the tail doesn’t look quite right for this species, but the specimens are old and may be damaged."
    I will post their verdict once they get back to me.

17. Chlidonias

All I know is that it used to be labelled as being the "original" Feathertail Glider species, so they've obviously changed the name label since the split. Whether it was for a legitimate reason or not I can't say.

18. Najade

Zootierliste has all Feathertails in Europe as Narrow-toed. Do we know if that’s actually true?

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  19. Najade

Now you’ve got the real thing ;)

WhistlingKite24 and Chlidonias like this.
  20. Chlidonias

Last edited: 16 Jul 2018