Join our zoo community

The Zoochat Photographic Guide to Storks

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Sarus Crane, 10 Jan 2019.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

We're doing a "what I have seen" now? Cool.

I have seen 15 out of 20.

I have seen eight species wild:

Asian Openbill Anastomus oscitans
    Painted Stork Mycteria leucocephala
    Black Stork Ciconia nigra
    Asian Woolly-necked Stork Ciconia episcopus
    Storm's Stork Ciconia stormi
    Black-necked Stork Ephippiorhynchus asiaticus
    Greater Adjutant Leptoptilos dubius
    Lesser Adjutant Leptoptilos javanicus

Also Milky Stork Mycteria cinerea "wild" in Singapore and Malaysia which I don't count on my list because they were escaped/not-established birds.

Additional six captive species I have seen are:

Yellow-billed Stork Mycteria ibis
    Abdim's Stork Ciconia abdimii
    White Stork Ciconia ciconia
    Oriental White Stork Ciconia boyciana
    Saddle-billed Stork Ephippiorhynchus senegalensis
    Marabou Leptoptilos crumeniferus[/i]

The five species I haven't seen at all:

African Openbill Anastomus lamelligerus (I don't think I have at least)
    Wood Stork Mycteria americana
    African Woolly-necked Stork Ciconia microscelis
    Maguari Stork Ciconia maguari
    Jabiru Jabiru mycteria

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  2. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm so glad you enjoyed this post Vogelcommando! Storks are my favorite and as someone who's been looking forever online to find a good husbandry manual for storks could you give me some pointers on their husbandry? The one AZA is creating is taking forever to peer review proof! I'm saving up for a big backyard aviary one day. The species I'm really fascinated with the most are Jabirus, Lesser Adjutants, Marabous, Saddlebills, Painted, and Asian Openbills the most in terms of husbandry. You're SO LUCKY you got to take care of them! I'm guessing perhaps you might've worked at Vogelpark Walsrode because they have lots of waders??? Which species can/cannot live alongside with other storks and other birds? Minimum outdoor temperature requirements? What are their dietary requirements? If you could answer these questions, I'd really appreciate it!

I haven't seen any Greater Adjutants alive either :( although when you're holding a study skin of one in a museum setting you feel really small. Hopefully one day I'll get to visit Assam or Cambodia and see them alive or maybe there will be a North American SSP for them at some point.

ThylacineAlive and vogelcommando like this.
  3. Sarus Crane

Species I've seen in captivity:
    African Openbill
    Yellow-Billed Stork
    Painted Stork
    Abdim's Stork
    Woolly Necked Stork
    White Stork
    Black Necked Stork
    Saddle Billed Stork
    Marabou Stork

The species I've seen in the wild:

Wood Stork

Species I've seen in museums:
    All 19 species

Every time I see Wood Storks I never take it for granted. My favorite memory so far of Wood Storks is from summer 2017 when a flock showed up in the retention pond outside my old house. I had always wanted to see them in my neighborhood (they'd never been sighted in there before) and I had been looking for a job. The day after I officially got the job they were outside as if they wanted to say congrats. This article explains the symbolism of storks and I totally agree with these two in terms of why they showed up the day after I got a good job:

"This is a time of renewal and rebirth in our lives."
    "Expect a new arrival – a special delivery in our lives."

I spent about day with them over a period of 2 days and by gradually getting closer and acclimating them to my presence I was able to get within 6 feet of them and we just sat there together on the grass by the water for a good hour and a half and I felt at complete peace! I feel so grateful and privileged to have been able to have this opportunity that I'll NEVER forget.

UngulateNerd92 likes this.
  4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes Sarus Crane, I've worked at Walsrode as well as at Pairi Daiza and here I was lucky to collect a lot of experience with storks ( and lots of other birds ! ).
    Lots of questions and I will send you the answers by PM Oke ( can take some time because I'm a bussy man :) .
    For a printed manual I remember the British Zookeeper Assosiation published somewhere in the 1990s a manual about storks and other large wading birds - I should have it here somewhere and as soon as I find it I will tell you the exact title of it.
    Found also this intresting PFD on the net - already a little old but still intresting :

http://alouattasen.weebly.com/uploa...niiformesphoenicopteriformes2008-a02ad3a4.pdf

5. Sarus Crane

Thank you so much!!! I usually have a busy schedule too I totally understand and can't wait to learn everything you have to share! Both Walsrode and Pairi Daiza are on my travel list of zoos to visit. I really like Walsrode's Grey Crowned Crane exhibit. It looks very scenic and park like.

ThylacineAlive likes this.