Join our zoo community

The Zoochat Photographic Guide To The Pelecaniformes

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Sarus Crane, 29 Jul 2019.

1. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Cochlearius

Boat-Billed Heron (Cochlearius cochlearius)

A commonly seen small heron in zoos and the only member of its genus, the Boat-Billed Heron or Boatbill as it’s referred to is known for its uniquely shaped bill which is in the shape of an upside-down boat. The scientific name cochlearius derives from the Latin word cochlearium which means “spoon in the form of a snail shell”. This small heron is nocturnal by nature and its large eyes help it hunt for prey in the dark. Its primary habitat is lagoons, swamps, and estuaries. It is listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.

There are five subspecies of the Boat-Billed Heron which range from Mexico to South America. They are C.c.zeledoni, C.c.phillipsi, C.c.ridgwayi, C.c.panamensis and C.c.cochlearius. C.c.zeledoni ranges in west Mexico. C.c.phillipsi lives across east Mexico and Belize. C.c.ridgwayi ranges from south Mexico to Honduras. C.c.panamensis is found in Costa Rica and Panama. C.c.cochlearius (the nominate subspecies) ranges in the northern and central regions in South America. All subspecies show the definitive boat shaped bill with the black cap of feathers on the top of the head.

Photo of C.c.ridgwayi at Cotswold Wildlife Park & Gardens by @Javan Rhino

[​IMG]

Photo of C.c.panamensis in Panama by @Vision

[​IMG]

Photo of C.c.cochlearius in Prague Zoo by @Maguari

[​IMG]

Good view of the species iconic bill at Blackbrook Zoo by @Writhedhornbill

[​IMG]

AWP, Mo Hassan and Vision like this.
  2. Sarus Crane

Tigrisoma

Bare-Throated Tiger Heron (Tigrisoma mexicanum)

One of three species in its genus, the Bare-Throated Tiger Heron is the one you’re most likely find as it favors more open habitats than the other species. The genus name Tigrisoma derives from the Latin terms of Tigris “tiger” and soma “body” because of the juvenile’s plumage to appearing like that of a tiger. This heron is about the size of a Botaurus bittern and is built in very much the same way with shorter legs and a long neck which is often hunched in posture. This heron can be easily distinguished by its relative the Fasciated Tiger Heron by its more greyish colored plumage. It is found from Mexico to northwestern Colombia and is listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.

Monotypic

Photo of an individual in its typical posture in Costa Rica by @Maguari

[​IMG]

Photo of an individual in Costa Rica with its neck raised by @ralph

[​IMG]

Closeup view of an individual showcasing its neck pattern in Costa Rica by @savetheelephant

[​IMG]

3. Sarus Crane

Fasciated Tiger Heron (Tigrisoma fasciatum)

The smallest species in its genus, the Fasciated Tiger Heron is the one you’re most likely find in foothills along fast moving streams searching for fish and large insects to eat. This heron can be easily distinguished from its larger relative the Bare-Throated Tiger Heron by its more brownish colored plumage. It is listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.

There are three subspecies of the Fasciated Tiger Heron which range from Costa Rica to Guyana. They are T.f.fasciatum, T.f.pallescens, and T.f.salmoni. T.f.fasciatum (the nominate subspecies) ranges in extreme northeastern Argentina and southeastern Brazil. T.f.pallescens lives in northwestern Argentina. T.f.salmoni is distributed from the Caribbean slope in Costa Rica and Panama, east and west of the Andes in Colombia, south through eastern Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia, and in northern Venezuela.

Photo of a juvenile salmoni in Ecuador by @ronnienl

[​IMG]

Closeup of an adult salmoni in Costa Rica by @Newzooboy

[​IMG]

4. Sarus Crane

Rufescent Tiger Heron (Tigrisoma lineatum)

The most colorful species in its genus, the Rufescent Tiger Heron is the one you’re most likely to encounter in the Amazon basin. This heron can be easily distinguished by its rich rufous red head, neck and chest plumage. It is listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.

There are two subspecies of the Rufescent Tiger Heron which range from Central America to most of South America. They are T.l.lineatum and T.l.marmoratum. T.l.lineatum (the nominate subspecies) ranges from Honduras south to northeast Bolivia and Amazonian Brazil while T.l.marmoratum can be found in southeast Bolivia to south Brazil and north Argentina.

Photo of an individual in Vogelpark Niendorf by @Tomek

[​IMG]

Photo of an individual's head and neck in Bioparque M'Bopicua by @devilfish

[​IMG]

AWP and animal_expert01 like this.
  5. Sarus Crane

Tigriornis

White-Crested Tiger Heron (Tigriornis leucolopha)

The sole species in its genus, the White-Crested Tiger Heron is found in the equatorial rainforests from west to central Africa. This heron can be easily distinguished by its dark brown and golden mottled plumage with its iconic white feathers at the top of the head. It is listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.

Monotypic

There are currently no images of this species in the galleries.

6. Sarus Crane

Zonerodius

Forest Bittern (Zonerodius heliosylus)

Another singular species within its own genus, the Forest Bittern is endemic to New Guinea. It appears very much like a Tiger Heron and is also referred to as the New Guinea Tiger Heron. It is listed as Near Threatened by the IUCN.

Monotypic

7. Sarus Crane

Zebrilius

Zig Zag Heron (Zebrilius undulatus)

A small shy species that prefers to stay hidden in dense foliage, the Forest Bittern is endemic to Amazonia as well as Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia. It is listed as Near Threatened by the IUCN.

Monotypic

8. Sarus Crane

Ixobrychus

Little Bittern (Ixobrychus minutus)

One of the smallest bitterns, the Little Bittern is an Old World species that you’re most likely find in reed beds in wetlands hunting for fish, frogs and other prey items. It can be distinguished by its tawny colored feathers on its underside which are contrasted by the black ones on the back and wings. It is listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.

There are three subspecies of the Little Bittern which range from Africa to Eurasia. They are I.m.minutus, I.m.payesii, and I.m.podiceps. I.m.minutus (the nominate subspecies) ranges in Asia, Europe and northern Africa. I.m.payesii lives in sub-Saharan Africa. I.m.podiceps is a resident of Madagascar.

Photo of an individual in Wroclaw Zoo by @sooty mangabey

[​IMG]

Frontal view of an individual in BestZoo by @Kakapo

[​IMG]

Cassidy Casuar and Yoshistar888 like this.
  9. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

Awwww its so cute

10. Sarus Crane

Black-Backed Bittern (Ixobrychus dubius)

Once considered a subspecies of the Little Bittern, the Black-Backed Bittern is an Australasian species that you’re most likely find active at dawn and dusk in reed bed habitats. It can be distinguished by its similar plumage to the Little Bittern. It is listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.

Monotypic

11. Sarus Crane

Cinnamon Bittern (Ixobrychus cinnamomeus)

One of the larger species in the genus Ixobrychus, The Cinnamon Bittern is named for its cinnamon hued plumage. Living in reed beds, its favored prey are frogs and amphibians along with fish. Widely distributed from India and China to Indonesia with an estimated population of about 2,000,000 birds, it is listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.

Monotypic

12. Sarus Crane

Stripe-Backed Bittern (Ixobrychus involucris)

This bittern has a lifestyle similar to the others of its genus and is endemic to South America. It is easily distinguished by the dark noticeable stripes on its back. It is solitary by nature and is listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.

Monotypic

13. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

I have added this species now:

Goura likes this.
  14. Sarus Crane

Junklekitteb likes this.
  15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I'll add in whichever photo of the above you want to use.

Sarus Crane likes this.
  16. Sarus Crane

Thank you. I like the one with both of them.

17. Sarus Crane

Least Bittern (Ixobrychus exilis)

One of the top three smallest herons in the world, the Least Bittern lives in both North and South America. It is easily distinguished by the dark greenish black patch on its back and head as well as its very small size. It is solitary by nature and is listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.

There are five subspecies of the Little Bittern which range from North to South America. They are I.e.exilis (the nominate subspecies), I.e.pullus, I.e.erythromelas, I.e.bogotensis, and I.e.peruvianus. I.e.exilis ranges in North, Central America and the Caribbean. I.e.pullus lives in northwestern Mexico. I.e. erythromelas lives in in eastern Panama and around eastern coasts of South America south to Paraguay. I.e.bogotensis is found in Colombia and I.e.peruvianus is found in Peru.

Photo of an individual hiding in reeds by @jbnbsn99

[​IMG]

Photo of an individual in Mexico by @ralph

[​IMG]

18. Sarus Crane

Yellow Bittern (Ixobrychus sinensis)

The Yellow Bittern is a resident of East and southern Asia to Indonesia and can be distinguished by its dull yellowish colors and smaller size. It is solitary by nature and is listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.

Monotypic

Photo of an individual in Sri Lanka by @Terry Thomas

[​IMG]

Photo of an individual in the suburbs of Bangkok, Thailand by @LaughingDove

[​IMG]

19. Sarus Crane

Von Schrenck's Bittern (Ixobrychus eurhythmus)

The Von Schrenck's Bittern ranges from China and Siberia to Indonesia and can be distinguished by its rufous and yellowish colors and small size. It is solitary by nature and is listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.

Monotypic

20. Sarus Crane

Dwarf Bittern (Ixobrychus sturmii)

This small bluish-grey bittern is endemic to Africa. It is the same size as the Little Bittern and is listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.

Monotypic