Join our zoo community

Themed zoo

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by FelipeDBKO, 25 Mar 2016.

1. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

If you were to build a themed zoo, like a savannah safari, aviary, aquarium or a giant reptile house, what would it be?

2. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Giant reptile park, with quite large enclosures for not so much species of reptiles (about 30 species).

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Moderator Staff Member

4. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member

The biggest reptile house on the planet for 1,000 species of snake, 1,100 species of lizards, Tuataras, 150 species of turtles and tortoises, and every species of crocodilian.

5. FelipeDBKO

Cool. :cool:

6. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

The aquarium is always a classic, though it is pretty common. I'd probably go for a bird park, lots of bird species from around the world. Mostly it would be separated by region, such as North America, Africa, etc., but there would be areas following other themes. It would have cool educational shows, interaction opportunities, (carefully supervised, of course!) research into conservation and breeding, wild bird rehabilitation, and even a pet bird sanctuary type of area where rehomed pet birds would either have a permanent home at the zoo or would be adopted out to suitable owners.

I've also had ideas for a North American themed zoo, and a Texas themed zoo.

7. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member

A big safari park housing species from North and South America, Asia, Africa, and Australia. Huge enclosures where animals are able to express natural behaviors. A good mix of ABC and uncommon animals would be ideal.

8. FelipeDBKO

I think that I would build a massive reptile house with reptiles, amphibians and arthropods. Or a massive aviary.

9. elefante

You would like Reptile Gardens in South Dakota. Other than a prairie dog exhibit outside, nothing but reptiles, amphibians, invertebrates, and birds.

10. Falanouc

Falanouc Well-Known Member

A zoo for invertebrates only, with the widest variety of invertebrate species kept anywhere in the world.

11. FelipeDBKO

Good idea ... That's something we don't see very often.

12. thecheetah805

thecheetah805 Member

I always thought it would be cool to have a jungle or rainforest themed zoo, with really heavy planting all around and water sprayers to increase the humidity so it actually feels like you're in a jungle- obviously it would be hugely expensive but it would be cool

13. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member

Primate zoo 100%; with almost all of the species living on large islands with heated indoor houses. A nocturnal house would be home to various species of night monkey and loris, as well as a few species of bushbaby, and tarsiers and some species of nocturnal lemur (including aye-ayes).
    The animals living on islands would include species of lemur (greater bamboo, Alaotra reed, ring-tailed, both species of ruffed, diademed, silky, crowned and golden-crowned sifakas, blue-eyed black lemurs, mongoose, crowned and red-fronted brown lemurs), New World monkey (including multiple species of spider monkey, black and red howler monkeys, uakaris, bearded sakis, some titi species, white-faced sakis, various species of woolly monkey, woolly spider monkeys, some species of capuchin and dozens of species of marmoset and tamarin), Old World monkey (multiple species of macaques, hanuman langurs, lots of species of langur, proboscis monkeys, doucs, snub-nosed monkeys, mandrills and drills, around ten species of mangabey, some baboon species, colobus and lots of guenon species), gibbons (all 17 species) and great apes (both species of orang-utan, eastern lowland, mountain, western lowland and Cross river gorillas, breeding groups of all five subspecies of chimpanzee, and bonobos).

14. FelipeDBKO

15. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member

I agree with this - but I think you are overdoing the number of species. My dream collection of primates would concentrate on fewer species and avoid many that are just too hard to keep in captivity.
    In the nocturnal house I would want pen-tailed tree shrews (I'm still counting them as primates), Demidoff's galagos and angwantibo with the aye-ayes and a couple of tarsier species: I might fit in fork-marked dwarf lemurs too.
    I would just want a few marmosets and tamarins, with one species each of capuchin, howler, saki, titi, uakari and woolly monkey.
    I would choose a nice variety of guenons (say 5 species) in large groups as they are under-represented in zoos today, with patas, talapoins and black crested mangabeys too. I'd have to have drills, mandrills and geladas, with stump-tailed and moor macaques (and perhaps a couple of others), but I don't think I'd miss baboons too much. I would restrict colobinoids to Angolan colobus and one langur species (Gee's if I had the choice). I might also try to do a deal with the Chinese Government for golden snub-noses, but I wouldn't pay Edinburgh prices for them.
    I think it would be sufficient to concentrate on a few species of apes. I would prefer dwarf and silvery gibbons, Sumatran orangs, bonobos and Eastern lowland gorillas.
    I don't think that many visitors would complain that there were not enough primate species, but I certainly wouldn't call it the World Primate Centre ;)

Alan

16. FelipeDBKO

Good choice for the species.

17. FelipeDBKO

Hey, do you speak portuguese?

18. elefante

I speak Spanish, but not Portuguese. Sorry.