Join our zoo community

Theoretical walkthroughs

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Mr Gharial, 17 May 2021.

1. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

Simple: Ask your questions about if certain animals could go in walkthroughs. Maybe it's already been done before, otherwise we could theorize!

2. Mr Gharial

So, as a tiny rule let's not ask about the obvious ones, like lemurs, penguins and kangaroos.

I'll start us off with Aardvark, don't think I've seen it done before, but I'm curious if it would be possible in a nocturnal house, with the animals would be active as well

JigerofLemuria likes this.
  3. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

They are not known as an aggressive species, and in my experience not too bothered about the public. If this is possible after all: https://www.longleat.co.uk/ticket/aardvark-vip-experience . Though there might very well be a chance that the aardvark would just want to be scratched by the public a lot of the time, not very educational I would say.

JigerofLemuria and Mr Gharial like this.
  4. Mr Gharial

Burgers' zoo also stated that they were very calm animals, I just wasn't sure and thought it might be an interesting walkthrough. Though maybe not educational, are any walkthroughs really educational? Sometimes you just need to do something extra for the guests

5. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

I would say there is a slight difference between allowing people to get closer towards animals, which is useful to let people become invested into these animals, and allowing them to pet them.

6. Mr Gharial

Fair, I had an idea for a walkthrough enclosure with Aardvarks, Galagos, Springhares and Brush-tailed porcupines in a nocturnal house, I thought it would be quite immersive

Van Beal and marmoset23 like this.
  7. marmoset23

marmoset23 Active Member

vervet monkeys could make a great walkthrough. Traveling in Kenya I came across many of them and they are rather gentle unlike baboons or other old world primates.

BenFoxster likes this.
  8. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

Aren't they also known as great thieves when they get used to people?

pichu likes this.
  9. marmoset23

marmoset23 Active Member

I didn’t have that experience. I think macaques do that more often.

10. Mr Gharial

Well, they are known for stealing food, but that's true for most monkeys.

Seeing that there's already walkthroughs for similar-sized and even larger monkeys, I think it would probably be fine, though it would need to come with a "watch your bags" sign, as should all monkey walkthroughs

11. Amphibiman

Amphibiman Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have heard of some zoos doing Galapagos tortoise walkthroughs. It must be impressive to walk among fully grown tortoises like that. Plus, I do believe for a fee that you can feed them.

I am not a HUGE fan of small snakes. I prefer them bigger so I can see them and they can't easily sneak up on me. That being said, I have heard that there are snake walkthroughs? I don't know how those would work or even how popular it would be, but I believe they are a thing.

I love Brookfield Zoos fruit bat walkthrough.

I would also be interested in possibly seeing a walkthrough for aardvarks as well. They are some of my favorite animals and I cannot get enough of them.

12. Mr Gharial

I've seen (not in person) Spurred tortoise walkthroughs, but not giant tortoise walkthroughs, do we know where this is?

13. Amphibiman

I wish I could remember. I believe it was the Cincinnati Zoo, but I can't be sure. I'm not even sure if it there any longer.

14. Amphibiman

I did a quick search just now and there is a news article for one in Cincinnati, but it is from 2012, so I don't know if it is a thing any longer. I see one for Hickory Zoo as well. Never heard of that one.

15. Amphibiman

Never mind about Hickory Zoo. I played the video and it is for Planet Zoo. lol. That's what I get for using my tiny phone.

BenFoxster likes this.
  16. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have heard of sloths being in tropical or butterfly houses, which I would say count as a walk through. In those or in butterfly houses vertebrates that may be seen include various birds, Red-footed tortoises, iguanas and similar animals

17. Amphibiman

Arizona Sonora Desert Museum have their pollination gardens that house hummingbirds in a walkthrough aviary. It's birds, but I've never seen in person a hummingbird aviary, so that's kind of cool.

18. Mr Gharial

Sloths are kept in plenty of walkthroughs. This thread was more for very rare or non-existent walkthrough enclosures

ifesbob likes this.
  19. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

For rare walk through exhibits, I can think about walk trough Owl aviaries. The NaturZoo Rheine has a nice one with snowy owls and great grey owls

20. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

And didn't London has a walk trough exhibit with orb weaver spiders