Join our zoo community

Theresa May drops plans for vote on fox-hunting ban

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by littleRedPanda, 7 Jan 2018.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Maguari likes this.
  2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Great news: UK politician in 'getting the message' shock.

Wasn't a surprise that this was in the Tory manifesto, as it had been previously anyway, but it was staggeringly naive of May to make such a prominent reference to it during the campaign. The Hunting Act is overwhelmingly supported by the public and it fed into the narrative portraying her as out of touch and compassionless.

It's pleasing that she has had to very publically abandon the idea - a victory to enjoy for those of us who, y'know, don't support the idea of having wild animals chased for hours then torn apart by a pack of hounds - though I expect it to be buried by the reshuffle tomorrow.

(As an aside - is it wrong that I'm actually hoping Gove doesn't move? He's not exactly a favourite of mine (in much the same way that amoebic dystentery isn't...) but he does seem to be broadly competant and engaged at Environment and I can't imagine any of the others doing a better job)

Swampy and Brum like this.
  3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I thought so too. If there's one thing guaranteed to get (most) people's backs up its the Hunting Issue. It seemed such an obvious subject to avoid altogether when she was seeking re-election.

4. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Yes, it is wrong.

Given what he has done to the UK, and given his world view, one should hope for nothing but very bad things to happen to young Mr Gove. I’m sure they may be something positive to say about amoebic dysentery; there is absolutely nothing that can redeem this horrible little man.

5. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Some of the stuff coming out at present is actually quite pleasing to me, personally.

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Oh, I have nothing but contempt for the man. But he's not screwing up that department, and I worry someone like Hunt would...

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Unfortunately, it is still a hollow victory as long as the vast majority of so-called drag hunts are used as a cover for continuing wild hunts, any evidence regarding this is actively ignored by the police and (at least in this area) the hunts seem to have an "in for a penny, in for a pound" sentiment towards illegal hunting and don't restrict themselves to foxes :mad::mad::mad:

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I used to watch them 'drag-hunting' in my area- after the initial year or two there seemed no effort to disguise the fact they are actively hunting foxes, despite the ban. I think they have just become more and more confident/blase over the years since it was introduced that they are above the law.