Join our zoo community

Things people do that irritate you when you go to the zoo? #2

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by birdsandbats, 29 Jan 2018.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

{Note from mods - this thread continued from here: Things people do that irritate you when you go to the zoo?}

It does.

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Jan 2019
  2. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And that's...bad? Granted, I don't have an iPad, but I've seen people do this on various occasions, including international conferences, visiting museums and historical sights etc. It looks a tad bit silly, but if they feel like it...

Last edited: 30 Jan 2018
    Birdsage likes this.
  3. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It is annoying when they take up all the space and you can hardly see anything especially since they were using what is probably the biggest model.

4. Batto

Frankly, I'm tall enough that this doesn't hinder my view. And as for taking up space: some of the camera objectives brought in by "pro" zoo photographers aren't that little either. ;)
    But I see your point; people and their electronic gadgets can be a pain.

Birdsage, ZooBinh and ThylacineAlive like this.
  5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Selfie sticks are the ones which really both me but only when the people toting them just swing them around and hold it down like they're "walking" their phone on a lease :p

~Thylo

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

People with phones that take better photos than my camera. They annoy me...

7. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What's wrong with iPads? I take photos with one. I just don't get in people's way.

Van Beal likes this.
  8. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I should have clarified more. This was the biggest iPad I have ever seen and the person using it was blocking everyones way.

Birdsage likes this.
  9. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Cameras with large lenses aren't that much of a problem because the camera is held up to the photographers eye, and the lens is pointing directly in front of them, so if you're behind, or slightly to the side of the photographer, the lens isn't really in the way. iPads and other tablets are big rectangular objects that are held up in the air at arms length in front of the "photographer", so if your behind someone it does block you're view. And usually they aren't satisfied with one photo, they'll hold the tablet there and take several.

:(

Hix

10. Batto

Unless the visitor area in question is crowded and the photographer (or even better: a whole flock of them) is desperate to get a picture. Throw excited kids into the mix and you'll have a problem. ;)

ZooBinh and ThylacineAlive like this.
  11. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm not convinced that 'flock' is the best term for a group of photographers. The English language is very rich in collective nouns: 'herd' is too organised, 'charm' is definitely wrong and 'murder' is too strong, while 'parliament' and 'murmuration' are too quiet. I suggest 'gaggle' :)

Van Beal, Cowrie, Maguari and 2 others like this.
  12. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

What about "a shutter of photographers"?

Cowrie, kitnkat58 and ThylacineAlive like this.
  13. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

In this more modern age without shutters, I was going to suggest "a jaypeg of photographers". Unless they're professional (or better than average) photographers, in which case you could use "a roar".

:p

Hix

Van Beal, Cowrie and ThylacineAlive like this.
  14. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I was going to use "swarm" in a response, that I didn't get round to posting.

Cowrie likes this.
  15. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

"Shutter" is a fun, metaphorical way of putting it. I'll stick with "crowd", though. ;)

16. Batto

I'm fine with the alternative suggestions. I tend to associate such large camera objectives with the birdwatchers that flock (sic) to the island I live on during bird migration. ^^

Mr. Zootycoon likes this.
  17. Canihelpyou?

Canihelpyou? Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Honestly, i get annoyed badly by people in zoos. Tapping glass, trowing rocks etc. etc. But i think one of the worst things is destroying. Like in a tropical house, were people just rip out plants or flowers to "take them home", or just doing it for fun! i absolutly hate it, and sometimes, i even say something about it.

18. Welsh Zootographer

Welsh Zootographer Well-Known Member

Surely the collective noun for photographers is a "clique", pronounced 'click'? :rolleyes:

birdsandbats and ThylacineAlive like this.
  19. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I once visited Chester Zoo in the summer holidays (sometimes being a teacher is a real pain). It was obviously very crowded, and at plenty of enclosures I would patiently wait my turn for a space to view the animals. At the Komodo dragons indoor enclosure, I had waited for a while and finally had a small space at the very edge of the window. Almost immediately a random mother walked up, and literally shoved her two children into me, pushing me out of the way so they could take my space. No matter how long I have waited, if someone says excuse me, I am likely to move out of the way, but I couldn't quite believe being actually physically shoved out of the way. And being terribly British, I just walked away.

20. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Now let me see what peeves me off about zoo visits.
    1) The typical kids banging on the windows despite the signs read 'Please don't bang on the windows'
    2) Leaving the door to the butterfly house wide open (Hanwell Zoo,summer).
    3) Having to take your time in getting a chance to view certain animals through windows because of crowds huddling around it (usually reptile tanks,mammals in their interior enclosures,or up against glass-ie big cats,especially meerkats).
    4) Calling Chimpanzees,Bonobo's,Gorillas and Orangutans,Monkeys..!
    5) Crowded areas in general. Had to cue up to walk through the tamarin,sloth exhibit at Colchester Zoo in 2017.
    6) If an animals little known or considered ugly,it's barely paid attention to by families/visitors,but on the plus side,it gives us dedicated,all animals are equal,zoo lovers,time & space to see them.