Join our zoo community

Things people do that irritate you when you go to the zoo? #2

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by birdsandbats, 29 Jan 2018.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Possibly. Individualization and breeding season will also be factors for parrots. I believe the Topeka pair had a nest (not that either were sitting on it).

~Thylo

2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I feel very much the same after knowing some bad-tempered cockatoos. Feels a bit of a risk if such species are free-flighted.

True for cockatoos as well, previous life and experiences with people make a big difference in how such birds behave.

ThylacineAlive and KevinB like this.
  3. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When I was at Henry Vilas I heard someone call Steve the Orange-Rumped Agouti an anteater. (I wish they would've been right... giant anteaters would be amazing)

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  4. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

• People ( students, actually) screaming in the reptile house.
    • Somebody throwing litter on the ground... right next to the dustbin.
    • People stoning the crocodiles.

5. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Stoning, as in, throwing rocks at them? That is godawful.

Speaking of crocodilians, today at Pairi Daiza I was appalled by the amount of coins that had been thrown into the alligator/turtle exhibit. Parts of the bassin floor were just covered in coins. I still don't understand why people do that...

6. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There is a myth that if you throw a coin into a pool/lake/the sea and make a wish, it will be fulfilled I think...
    A bit silly. In fact, for anyone who has been to London and walked along the Thames, there is a model ship in a pool in Hay's Galleria near London bridge, and there are so many coins in there you cannot actually see the bottom.

7. KevinB

In zoos it seems to me to be especially common in goldfish and koi ponds and crocodilian exhibits. At least in the zoos I know I've seen the phenomenon decline in pinnipeds pools luckily, perhaps due to information given, but I'm sure it unfortunately still happens sometimes.

Again speaking about my visit to Pairi Daiza today: another thing that really annoyed me was the behavior of quite a few people on the lemur island (ring-tailed, red ruffed and black-and-white ruffed lemurs): touching and petting the lemurs, instigating their children to do so and trying to get lemurs to sit to them to get interesting photos/selfies. There are signs clearly saying this should not be done and unfortunately there wasn't enough supervision (and a lot of people also). This is one of the reasons why I'm not a huge fan of walk-through primate exhibits, even if they might admittedly be nice for photos...

Last edited: 4 Oct 2019
  8. Great Argus

It does, I've also seen coins in aviary pools. Thankfully it does seem on decline in pinniped pools thanks to heavy signage, but I believe several pinnipeds have died ingesting coins and other foreign objects, particularly walrus.

And I agree on walk-through primate exhibits, for not only the reasons you mentioned, but also for the disease risk both ways.

evilmonkey239 and KevinB like this.
  9. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yep - this is an especially big problem in zoos like Vallee des Singes, where lemurs and macaques can catch diseases from people...

10. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It was a contributing factor in the National Aquarium in Baltimore no longer having the harbor seal exhibit outside the building. Even with all of the signs, people still tossed coins in.

11. KevinB

Unfortunately you could put the rules up in 20-foot letters and some people would still think they are smarter and/or the rules don't apply to them.

Antwerp has lost harbor seals to coin ingestion also,unfortunately, at least according to the anti-coin signage they used to have. However that signage seems to no longer be there at the present though, to my knowledge, maybe because it seems to have helped the practice to decline.

I didn't even think about the disease transmission risk between human and non-human primates to be honest, but if there is so much close contact something is bound to go wrong. I'm not yet convinced that primate walk-throughs should go away, but it is clear that these days usually some kind of supervision is needed, which will come at a (staff) cost to zoos. And personally I am able to enjoy watching an island or exhibit with primates from across a moat or through glass just as much. And most

Last edited: 5 Oct 2019
    TinoPup and Great Argus like this.
  12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

People barking at African wild dogs.
    Lady called an iguana an alligator.
    “Why don’t I see it?” it’s an empty enclosure.
    “ is it dead?” It’s clearly asleep.
    “That’s a strange animal name” “ Lycoan pictus”

(Sighs) only at Wildife HQ.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Isn’t it obvious? Clearly they are enclosure renovators :p

14. Great Argus

Not very funny considering many animals have died or become sick from eating coins...

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Very true, sorry if I have upset you.

16. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It also may help children develop a marked interest, or help people with that interest nurture it. Impoverished children will also be able to visit.

17. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

18. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Earlier this year, I was at Lincoln Park Zoo, at the exhibit containing the only Puerto Rican Parrots outside Puerto Rico. While I was there admiring these bird, a dad and his daughter walked past. The dad said: "Wow, look at those cool birds", to which the daughter rolled her eyes and replied: "They're just parrots. Every zoo has those".

19. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

this is indeed a bruh moment

SivatheriumGuy likes this.
  20. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

*CRINGES* You don't even know