Join our zoo community

Things that could make Paignton better

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gibbon05, 16 Jun 2018.

Tags:
  1. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've always thought that Lechwe field would make a great Gelada & Ibex exhibit, much like Edinburgh's hill. Alternatively, the Sitatunga seem to do well on the hill at Exmoor? Or, move the Hartmanns over to the Lechwe field and put some common zebras and Mountain antelope (with the Sudanese Ostrich) to link to the new Savannah. The Breeding programmes still need to be a factor in decision making.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sitatunga is actually a marsh/water loving antelope. Obviously they can be kept on a hill but its far from natural for them. I wish more zoos that keep them would make an exhibit that allows them water to wade and even swim in. Chester's display board shows this behaviour but their paddock has no water either... Cricket St Thomas was one such place where they could be seen wading in the small river running through their paddock.

3. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I actually just had an idea:

What if they were to move the Rheas (Greater or Darwin's, doesn't matter which species) onto the former Lechwe paddock and have them mixed with Vicunas or Guanacos? I know they wouldn't fit in with the Savannah theme but they do seem to prefer hilly habitats in zoos and wildlife parks around the world.