Join our zoo community

Things That Irritate You in Life

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Zoofan15, 29 Jun 2017.

1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That reminds me of something that has been irritating me increasingly: people claiming to "rescue" and "adopt" animals as a fancy, "woke" paraphrase / excuse for obtaining / buying and then keeping an animal. There's nothing "heroic", "noble" or "inspiring" about that. If you take in unwanted, injured or confiscated specimens, good for you, and hopefully, good for the animal in question. Just don't brag about it and use it as an excuse to rub that in anytime, anywhere. If you're only doing something good to boast with it (or to save / make money for getting animals cheaper / for free), then you're not a good person.

Many of the animals at WdG originate from donations, confiscations or hand overs. The only time I mention that is when confronted with blatantly animal right activists among the visitors (almost exclusively Karens) because that immediately takes the wind out of their sails. Otherwise, I'm not strutting around both on- and offline, preening myself on being such a saintly goody two shoes. I sometimes openly joke that I should call myself the "Gut Aiderbichl" of toxic animals to make more money out of gullible naive people...

Furthermore, I also hate cat / dog / rabbit
    ... owners calling themselves "Fur Mommy / Daddy" and their animals their "Fur babies". Or "Fellnasen" (Furred noses, which makes little sense in regard to the noses not being furred). And when the animal dies or has to be euthanized, it has crossed "the Rainbow Bridge" (My ironic remarks whether the animal has proven itself worthy in battle to cross the bifröst to enter Asgard are usually ignored. Probably due to ignorance regarding Nordic mythology. Or the MCU). And I hate that they want veterinarians and veterinary nurses to participate in that imbecility.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2020
  2. Breckenridge

Breckenridge Well-Known Member

People who blatantly ignore laws about keeping US native wildlife as pets.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

The "fur baby" / "fur parent" thing .... :eek: o_O :rolleyes: Excruciatingly irritating and cringey.

4. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is that a company/corporation that is running sanctuaries?

5. Batto

@PossumRoach Yes. And their speciality is to attract the naive public, the local in-crowd and a few international glitterati (as well as old rich widows without any heirs) with champagne & caviar charity events and heart-rending soap stories to donate large sums and estates to them. Frankly, I'm no fan.

6. Luca Bronzi

Luca Bronzi Well-Known Member

A lot of thing, in particular people who go all-out against the zoos and people who defend indiscriminately zoos.

Rayane likes this.
  7. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Reminds me of a thread...

red river hog likes this.
  8. Luca Bronzi

Luca Bronzi Well-Known Member

Well, I noticed how these two thing annoyed me also after that thread :rolleyes:

Rayane likes this.
  9. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Tight spaces, Large crowds, and people.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  10. CheeseChameleon1945

I know how that feels like. :p

JT and evilmonkey239 like this.
  11. Batto

I don't. I do dislike some individual humans for apparent reasons (like abusing animals and fellow humans), but general misanthropy is neither useful, nor healthy. And it is worst form highly pathological.

12. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

I think that this was a joke because all there was a long list above it of a bunch of things people do/did:

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  13. Batto

Based on personal experience, I'd recommend to refrain from joking all too vividly here at Zoochat. Some people here have a rather underdeveloped sense of humor, despite not even being German.

Last edited: 12 Nov 2020
    Rayane and FBBird like this.
  14. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

Okay. Well I was just trying to show that it makes more sense if you put it context.

15. CrashMegaraptor

CrashMegaraptor Well-Known Member

When people complain about discipline in media, no matter how minor, and acting that it's either abusive (even if the character in question is just getting told off) or the creator of said media is advocating it IRL...or both.

16. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Preventable incidents occurring in zoos: I was reading in the news this morning about a two year old child who was attacked by a tapir at the Dublin Zoo. What idiot thought allowing a small child (or any person for that matter) in with a new mother tapir was a good idea? I’ve had an encounter with an elderly adult tapir and even then, was careful to give it space, least it bite the crap out of me.

HungarianBison and evilmonkey239 like this.
  17. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

"Meme comments" on YouTube comment sections. I hate those.

18. CheeseChameleon1945

I have a major one.
    Creating Useless or unnecessary inventions.
    What Iphone are we on now? Ah, who cares, there just going to make more of them. Why are we spending time making phones that have 3-5 cameras on them? That question is beyond me, but every day when I go outside I just think of multiple things that humans could do that they haven't done yet that would be really useful.
    ---Hoses that can change temperature

---Contact lenses that take pictures whenever you blink. (Kind of silly, but it would be interesting to see used for special agents/spies).

---Gloves that allow you to take pictures with your Iphone. I think this is invented before, but I don't own one, and my friend had some once and they worked worse than my normal gloves.
    Anyway, what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Dec 2020
  19. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Most gloves are compatible with phone use now. You can get a pair for $3 at target.

20. CheeseChameleon1945

I'll get some, god hopes they work.