Join our zoo community

Things That Irritate You in Life

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Zoofan15, 29 Jun 2017.

1. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't know that "sick to death" is the right way to phrase it... o_O

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It’s a figure of speech we use in the UK and New Zealand. It’s a hyperbole that means we’ve had enough of something. We’ve all had enough of Covid in New Zealand and the majority of people here are tired of hearing about it.

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  3. Zoofan15

I apologise for being glib, but the reason we elect government officials is so that we don’t have to worry about these things. They do the worrying for us. My advice to you is to only concern yourself with what’s within your control (getting vaccinated, mask wearing, contact tracing, social distancing etc); and let your government concern themselves with the things that are out of your control e.g. rate of spread, case numbers and social implications.

You’re an intelligent person with hundreds of other topics you could discuss, which I think would provide you with a positive distraction. You could also focus on uploading media from your zoo visits - aside from giving you something to take your mind off other issues; you’ll be benefiting the many ZooChatters who will enjoy seeing those photos.

KevinB likes this.
  4. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm sorry about my post, I just wanted to vent a little bit, but I didn't do so appropriately. I will be more careful with this.

It's just that elected and non-elected government officials here in Belgium just aren't doing what they should. They have no short-term, let alone a long-term plan or strategy, they don't listen to the experts enough, they aren't communicating correctly, they are taking the wrong and insufficient decisions and they are causing and poking up polarization and division. We are now even starting to see rioting in the streets here. So I think there is reason to be worried about where things are going to go.

But you are right that I should not be focusing on the wider policies and implications, but rather the few things I can control (and have done or am or will be doing), and on the things I can do to distract myself.

I have already taken measures to distance myself from and tune out from the news as much as possible, and I will be even stricter on those.

I will be trying to focus on posting media and on fantasy zoo work (which I will actually be continuing after all). But I will not make any promises as whether and to what extent content will be published.

Last edited: 23 Nov 2021
    TinoPup and Zoofan15 like this.
  5. Zoofan15

No apologies necessary. It was your opinion and you’re entitled to it. You’re certainly not alone in your concern for how things will pan out and I hope my suggestions will be only the start of a more positive mindset. I appreciate it’s not always as simple as switching off, but if you can as you suggest, distance yourself from the news and any external stressors, I believe that will be of great benefit to you.

KevinB likes this.
  6. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have a plethora of thoughts and opinions about this crisis and where to go from here, but I need to make sure I don't dwell on them too much, nor express them inappropriately.

Your suggestions were definitely welcome and they align well with some things I am already trying to do. I however still need a fair bit more self-discipline in following my self-imposed and much needed rules. All I can really do right now is be careful, control the things I can control, distance and distract myself from the things I should not be busy with and hope things will soon get better.

Coelacanth18 and Zoofan15 like this.
  7. TinoPup

It's a figure of speech here, too. I'm saying people with covid are literally sick to death, so using the phrase to say you're just tired of hearing about it probably isn't the best way to phrase it, considering.

8. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

While I agree overall with your COVID philosophy that it's best to only worry about what you can control - including all of the things you mentioned - and trying not to allow the anxiety of what you can't control affect your well-being, it's worth pointing out that a reality in which citizens can rely on their government to take proper care of them during a pandemic without having to second-guess or fact-check what they're doing is not a reality most of the world lives in... speaking as an American ;)

@KevinB, as someone who also has been concerned and pessimistic about my government's response, I just try to keep on top of the science as new information comes out and keep an eye on the caseload wherever I'm going or staying. That plus following a few personal guidelines and approaching everything with caution and forethought has helped me feel like I can manage the risk on my own and not feel overwhelmed by the situation around me or failure of others to do their part.

IndianRhino likes this.
  9. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You know which place "citizens can rely on their government to take proper care of them during a pandemic"? China! One positive case, two weeks of lockdown, everyone test, if one positive then two weeks lockdown till none. Sure it will cause backfire but it's China so no backfire. Problem solved.

PossumRoach likes this.
  10. Zoofan15

Although I have to remain politically neutral, I have to say New Zealand’s government have been near faultless with how they’ve handled the pandemic.

You do make a good point though and I acknowledge other countries haven’t been so fortunate. I can fully understood their citizen’s frustration with how things have been handled.

11. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am not a fan of kids on the Internet. I know at one point I was an annoying child, but I am older and... somewhat wiser at this point. Apologies to anyone who was annoyed by my antics back in the day of me being a squeaker.

felis silvestris and IndianRhino like this.
  12. TinoPup

I'm a bit annoyed that a lot of zoos (not all) doing membership discounts this weekend are only doing so on bigger memberships. I've been getting several e-mails a day from my membership zoo, along with other zoos I get e-mails from, about their big black friday/cyber monday specials. Mine has "up to 35% off!" but when you go to the website, the discounts don't even start until you get to the Family membership, 2 adults and 2 children. The individual membership, and 1 adult + 1 guest membership, have no discounts at all. Plenty of us don't have children!

HungarianBison and IndianRhino like this.
  13. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

@TinoPup Such is life. Being solo means paying for other peoples' discounts in many ways.

HungarianBison likes this.
  14. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wanna rent my children? Just make sure to return them as unmaimed as possible before bedtime.

15. Mr.Ivory

Mr.Ivory Well-Known Member

Feeling as though your work is not appreciated, self doubt, low self esteem and forgetting something I hate that about myself

16. Zoofan15

One of the annual membership options in New Zealand zoos is the Child Flexi pass, where a designated child can bring any adult with them to the zoo. Annoyingly, they don’t offer an Adult Flexi pass. This would suit so many people e.g. grandparents with several grandkids (or uncles/aunts with several nieces/nephews) could take each of the kids to the zoo on their respective birthdays.

17. TinoPup

So you have to name the children on the pass, too? Here it's usually just named adults, then anyone under 18 for the child(ren). Which brings up another point - they're usually "family" passes with two adults, no single parents.

18. Zoofan15

Yeah, the child is named and has a photo ID badge. It’s just a money making thing as the idea is the child will go with a range of different adults (who all pay adult prices); versus your way which is preferable from my perspective (and that of most customers), but means the cheapest person goes for free each time.

That is pretty dumb that there’s an only an option for two parents. It definitely doesn’t account for the fact that parents may be separated; the child might have an absent father etc.

TinoPup likes this.
  19. felis silvestris

felis silvestris Well-Known Member

well I'm probably the youngest here because I only just turned 13 so I'm a squeaker xD

20. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So the self-proclaimed squeaker didn't tell the truth when registering at ZooChat?;)