Join our zoo community

Things That Irritate You in Life

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Zoofan15, 29 Jun 2017.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Expressions like "forever home" as used in a Sky news report on a turtle rescued from the Galapagos and now living at Loch Lomond Sea life

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When people latch onto something about a person for eternity.

My friends were organising a pizza party once and said how we had to get Hawaiian pizza because (first name and last name withheld) loved Hawaiian pizza; and I was like, “He just said he liked it. ONCE.” Like if anybody had bothered to ask him, they’d probably find he liked several different flavours.

I’ve had the same happen to me - whether it’s a song I said I liked once (which I then got bored of within the week); or a career path I considered for an hour when I was seven.

3. littleRedPanda

@Zoofan15 I've always felt that it was a sign that someone wasn't particularly interested in that person, but simply associated with them through others.

4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think a lot of people do it with the opposite intention. They’re told that remembering something about a person shows you’re interested - and indeed it does; but remembering only one thing about them renders the concept superficial.

An example could be my friend remembering that one of my sons likes Taekwondo. He knows his name and frequently asks how he’s doing in Taekwondo. That’s all well and good, but it’d be more impressive if he knew the names of my other children as well and what sports they were into (rather than just latching on to one detail).

5. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don’t like the fact that the things that bother me in the long term are petty compared to the traumas many other people face. Yet I am distraught over things considered petty by some.

6. littleRedPanda

I think it is intended to present the illusion that someone is interested and obviously it works ;)

7. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

My god, here is another thing that really gets on my nerves and actually happened at work for the past two days. Despite my own tendencies with certain activities or projects, when people I work with get too nitpicky and waste everyone's time (including theirs), and are also very insistent about their nitpicking, not understanding the bigger picture or seeing around necessary corners. Earlier this morning, it caused me to verbally lash out at and lose my temper with that co-worker. That reaction, was a mistake on my part, but still, come on... I guess we live to learn...

8. littleRedPanda

New year's fireworks starting early evening.

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Jan 2022
    Bengal Tiger likes this.
  9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

In Australia it is common to have a 9PM "family friendly" fireworks show.

I should also note that it is illegal in most places in Australia for individuals to set of fireworks - you must be a licensed operator, so fireworks displays are generally community events organised by the local council.

10. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

People follow the law down there?! They're completely illegal in my US state - we now allow sparklers on NYE and July 4, but that's it - but there's plenty of idiots who get them elsewhere and set them off, usually way too many for local police to handle. Then they leave the trash everywhere.

IndianRhino and Bengal Tiger like this.
  11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Of course Australians follow the law. Why, their country was founded on ... oh, wait, never mind.

12. Simon Hampel

Don't forget that NYE is the middle of summer here - and there have been plenty of cases of fireworks setting off bushfires.

It's kind of ironic that despite our convict heritage - there is still a strong sense of doing the right thing - especially when it comes to surviving the harsh climate and environment we live in.

People being idiots with fire is not tolerated by anyone - especially given the dire consequences of doing so.

Birdsage, KevinB and TinoPup like this.
  13. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Fire still doesn't stop people here :( The huge fire that was going on in OR when I visited a few years ago - in September! - was caused by kids with fireworks. I have no idea why the west coast states don't ban them. Wildfires aren't much of an issue here, at least, but people still set them off right next to homes, apartment buildings, etc.

Have to give a hand to Australia for being serious about fire safety!

Birdsage likes this.
  14. Simon Hampel

Given how 2019 ended and 2020 started - with most of the eastern seaboard on fire leading to at least 34 people dying and over 186,000 square kilometres of land burned, with nearly 2,800 homes being lost.

To put that into perspective:
    • England: 130,000 km2
    • Scotland: 78,000 km2
    • Wales: 21,000 km2
    So imagine having all of England on fire, plus all of Wales and half of Scotland also on fire. That's how big our fires were.

10 largest US states that are smaller than what was burned in Australia:
    1. North Dakota
    2. Oklahoma
    3. Missouri
    4. Florida
    5. Wisconsin
    6. Georgia
    7. Illinois
    8. Iowa
    9. New York
    10. North Carolina

10 largest countries that are smaller than what was burned in Australia:
    1. Syria
    2. Cambodia
    3. Uruguay
    4. Somaliland
    5. Suriname
    6. Tunisia
    7. Bangladesh
    8. Nepal
    9. Tajikistan
    10. Greece

It was a natural disaster of monumental scale - and some of it was preventable (either deliberately or accidentally started).

Unfortunately, the scale of the disaster and our efforts to help recover and rebuild has somewhat taken a back-seat to the global disaster that is COVID.

15. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I lost the appeal of fireworks after one hit my face. I still had fun at the moment.

16. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

At least here in California, their legality varies by county. So while they may be illegal in your county, you often can hop over the county line and buy them. Which plenty of people do. However not too many people set them off in my area during summer on the 4th, generally that's not a problem. People are pretty wary of fire, especially after Carr. Now for new year's when things are typically wetter and cold, that's a bit different. I saw quite a few and heard more last night, despite them being illegal in my county.

Coelacanth18 and TinoPup like this.
  17. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I still fail to understand the fun or celebratory nature of dangerous materials like fireworks, let alone other kinds of even more destructive and illicit mayhem that have sadly become commonplace on New Year's Eve/Day in many places.

Where I live only certain types of fireworks are allowed to be set off during a brief time period on New Year, but some people were definitely not respecting that, setting off fireworks earlier in the day or even in the days before (although the end time seemed to be fairly well respected this year), and I believe also louder types of fireworks than allowed were used. Also, this year the amount of fireworks set off unfortunately was worse here than it had been in several years.

I went for a nature walk on January 2nd and unfortunately I saw some fireworks waste in the nature area, suggesting people set off fireworks near or within it, which is very concerning. Luckily things are wet enough around here right now a fire would be pretty unlikely, but I still hate the idea of all the birds and other animals being scared and stressed by the fireworks. Fireworks is definitely on my (short) list of traditions we should abolish and ban. It has in my opinion no redeeming qualities, especially not when used by average citizens or outright criminals and idiots, rather than professionals.

Also I just really hate littering in general - and it is pretty bad around where I live. We see lots of food and drink packages thrown away at the side of the road or in nature areas, as well as regular dumps of piles or bags of thrash in roadsides, roadside moats or nature areas. Definitely something I really hate.

This morning I discovered I once more made a somewhat serious mistake, and unfortunately I again overreacted with panic and wanting to punish myself before searching for solutions, which I have since found. It is absolutely something I need to continue work on, with more effort, in 2022.

Birdsage and TinoPup like this.
  18. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's often reported here in the US that more pets go missing on the Fourth of July than any other day of the year due to fireworks... I know many pets of family and friends who hate fireworks and have to be carefully secured prior to the local festivities. Additionally Turtle Bay Exploration Park is directly across from the local firework location and the animal care staff routinely moved several of the more skittish animals offsite for the evening for several years until the new more soundproof animal building was erected a couple years ago. If the wind was blowing toward the park that night we'd have to spend awhile next morning cleaning up the cardboard and paper debris that would be all over the park and occasionally in exhibits. A couple times there's been a firework sparked fire on the outskirts of the park, but the fire department is always on hand till well after the show is over to make sure nothing gets far if it starts.

19. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Paywalls behind websites.
    Why should I pay to see the news?

20. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I couldn't agree more! There are many products if you will and even services in our economy that cost a fortune that really shouldn't even cost a penny. Those articles and what not, case and point! I also hate toll roads and paying for parking. Also there are a lot of things that we have to pay for out of pocket, that should really be paid for through our tax dollars!