Join our zoo community

Things That Irritate You in Life

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Zoofan15, 29 Jun 2017.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Cold weather.

Stupid cheesy Christmas movies.

MonkeyBat and JigerofLemuria like this.
  2. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Another big irritation of mine is technology. Just when I get used to a certain software or operating system, it changes on me. I just want to say to these companies that develop these programs, stop complicating things and keep it simple! Another irritating thing is dealing with very slow processing or upload speeds and not being able to sufficiently link up on One Drive in a timely manner. Another thing that irritates the hell out of me is navigating and troubleshooting corrupted files (Computer files that suddenly become inoperable or unusable).

JigerofLemuria likes this.
  3. UngulateNerd92

Here is another thing that irritates me, when people and institutions are incompetent and disorganized while also being flaky, unreliable, and having poor communication, throwing your life for a loop, and making you feel abandoned or left in limbo.

4. Lota lota

Lota lota Well-Known Member

Slow walkers,and especially when they are in groups form an almost impenetrable wall.:mad:

JigerofLemuria and MonkeyBat like this.
  5. Lota lota

I prefer a cold snowy winter over boring rainy muddy weather.The snow makes spotting animals a lot easier.I've got my best owl encounters in snowy conditions,also,frozen lakes at night tend to be good places for mammals watching.I've seen pine marten four times,and three of those have been on a frozen lake and a lake near me almost has foxes on it every night.

6. UngulateNerd92

Here are other things. People that are overly frugal, cheap and stingy if you will, but also on the opposite end of the spectrum, people that spend their money extravagantly and frivolously.

7. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Feliz Navidad

Has there ever been a more repetitive Christmas song?

I don’t hate Christmas songs (or songs in Spanish), but this particular song does my head in.

Feliz navidad
    Feliz navidad
    Feliz navidad
    Prospero año y felicidad

Feliz navidad
    Feliz navidad
    Feliz navidad
    Prospero año y felicidad

I wanna wish you a merry Christmas
    From the bottom of my heart

We wanna wish you a merry Christmas
    From the bottom of our heart

Feliz navidad
    Feliz navidad
    Feliz navidad
    Prospero año y felicidad

Feliz navidad
    Feliz navidad
    Feliz navidad
    Prospero año y felicidad

Feliz navidad
    Feliz navidad
    Feliz navidad
    Prospero año y felicidad

Feliz navidad
    Feliz navidad
    Feliz navidad
    Prospero año y felicidad

Feliz navidad
    Feliz navidad
    Feliz navidad
    Prospero año y felicidad

8. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's definitely a lazy one, but Paul McCartney's "Simply having a wonderful Christmas time" is also rather annoying IMO. And I'm a Beatles fan!

Zoofan15 likes this.
  9. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Also on christmas songs, I've always found it extremely cringey when a classic carol, no matter the language, is remixed in a "hip" way by some one-hit-wonder or fad singer, or kiddified to the extreme. And don't even get me started on flamenco versions of Spanish Christmas carols... (no disrespect to Flamenco, it just isn't my thing)

Zoofan15 likes this.
  10. Zoofan15

I agree. I really hate it when a new singer/s comes along and tries to put “their spin” on it. It’s never as good as the original. Do They Know It’s Christmas? (1984) is a decent song, but the 2014 remake sucks.

Same goes for remixes - if it’s good, leave it alone; if it’s crap, remixing won’t help.

11. dillotest0

dillotest0 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Speaking of Christmas songs, I recall finding this thing a while ago - what probably is - if not an exceedingly strong competitor - for the title of the most generic holiday song since the dawn of fire itself.

"A Perfect Christmas", written by Vasco & Jerry Abbott in 2009. As far as I can tell anyways. Utilizing every single trope one can hope to find in Christmas music of this ilk - down to the instrumentation itself. The lyrics are, in my opinion anyway, rather, offensively, anti-climactic - most Christmas songs, from the likes of All I want for Christmas is You, to Last Christmas I gave you my Heart, to Grandma got run-over by a Reindeer, all have some form of underlying meaning to them that compliment the holiday theme. But, in this song, it's literally just the singer singing about the events going on around her. The children have their faces at the windows, snow is falling outside ... that's cool, I guess. The metaphors which do exist, such as the "echo will be in my heart" are about as thin as a blade of grass. And after listening, it makes me wonder exactly what motivated this song to be written - what it tried to provide that no other holiday song managed to provide. I perhaps will never know .....

12. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Old people. What really irritates me about them, is being the same age as they are:)

Neil chace and TinoPup like this.
  13. Lota lota

It's all about perspective;)

14. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Winning the football World Cup and having someone who clearly has no idea of what has happened, force a completely unrelated gown over your shirt.

15. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Okay this is kinda stupid, but...

You know those Animals A-Z videos made for kids?

"Okay, E is for Elephant, G is for Giraffe, all looking good..."

H is for....

"(in my mind) Hippo! Hippo! Hippo!"

Horse!

[​IMG]

And then they proceed to have L is for Lion, R is for Rhino, T is for Tiger, and Z is for Zebra...

All perfect except THIS GODDAMN THING.

ifesbob and JigerofLemuria like this.
  16. Zoofan15

I agree it’s good to teach kids that nature doesn’t end with the barnyard, but these are the animals they’re most familiar with.

D for dog, H for Horse and P for pig are preferable from an engagement perspective. They similarly chose lion over lemur, langur or leech; tiger over tardigrades; and zebra over Zebu.

There’s enough time for kids to learn more advanced topics once they reach school age. I actually learnt what tardigrades were when my then six year old son studied them in school.

TinoPup likes this.
  17. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's just a stupid bias in me that wants the list to have the perfect favorite zoo animals in me ahahah.

I usually search animals ABC in ZOO specifically to get rid of the barnyard animals, but even that sometimes doesn't work.

18. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

and so it begins ....

19. dillotest0

dillotest0 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think something of a problem is that a number of zoos don't have an animal for all 26 letters - and so in the few instances a video is made of animals ABC in the Zoo sometimes compromise is to be made.

I recall covering one such instance in a different thread - for most of 26 letters something of a sound option has been found [one may nitpick that the 'Alligator' are caimans and the 'Donkey' are wild asses - but that is nitpicking..]; though for W and X the choices used are 'Waterfall' and 'Train Xing', neither of which are animals. [though X is a bit excusable I suppose ...] Similarly for U, a 'Unicorn' [i.e. a bongo missing a horn] has been scrunged out - to the kid's comment in the video - 'Unicorn? I don't think so!'
    And there are also two animal-related errors in the video - guineafowl labelled as 'Quail' [making me a bit disappointed as the STL Zoo does have Bobwhite Quail, and seemingly did in 2007 also] and a takin labelled as a 'Yak'. [To be fair on this one though even the child narrator seems a bit tentative on the animal being shown - i.e. 'is that a yak? I guess it's close enough ...]
    That said, I also came across a channel of a female American teacher who seems to have an ongoing series where she shouts lettered animals to beatbox melody - a series that currently numbers ... 72[!] parts in total !
    Though I will say ... as for A - Z of wild animals I recall there was a video released on DVD and VHS that introduced 26 different animals with a mixture of commonly-known [i.e. elephant; lion; penguin etc.] and lesser-known [i.e. armadillo; gibbon; kiwi] animals - all of which have their own song. It also has some messages of ecology - including a song about hyaenas that doesn't ultimately villify the animals ! It was produced by Partridge Films in 1998, if that helps in looking for it. I believe it may be available to buy in DVD format - though it also exists on YouTube.

I hope that helps !

Last edited: 31 Dec 2022
  20. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Virginia McKenna getting a Damehood:(