Join our zoo community

Things That Irritate You in Life

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Zoofan15, 29 Jun 2017.

1. Breckenridge

Breckenridge Well-Known Member

When television shoes and movies make up animal species instead of just referencing a real life species, this is especially bad with birds and fish.

"Did you see that Eastern red-tailed marsh thrush?" instead of "Did you see that wood thrush?"

2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Similarly, when they use Red-tailed Hawk screams for Bald Eagles and Peregrines. Or any raptor really, they all usually get Red-tail's scream.

3. Breckenridge

I remember a tv series that had a Mute Swan attack someone while honking like a Canada Goose. Apparently the name Mute Swan meant nothing.
    Also any small mammal has either raccoon or squirrel sounds and any monkey sounds like a chimp.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2020
  4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There seem to be a lot of Earth bird species on other planets in sci-fi. Star Trek is the main offender here but not the only one.

evilmonkey239 and Hipporex like this.
  5. Breckenridge

Just find a common animal, slap some fake horns, fangs, and fur on it, and you have an exotic alien species.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Most famously....

[​IMG]

7. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Duck/Legends

8. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Fake/dramatised/severely edited documentaries:

This is probably the worst example I’ve seen in recent times (and most of the people in the comments were dumb enough to believe it happened).

Watch from 1.50 (or rather, don’t):

9. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

My local news channel. News? More like cheesy over dramatic music playing over conspiracy theories about killer asteroids, Chinese labs and minority groups. They even have a blood red ELECTRIC floating coronavirus with 'danger' written on it. Then there is a general problem with news channels that portray viruses as great coloured blobs with spears, spikes and bumps all over them, a single channel may show 4 different types of virus.

10. Zoofan15

“The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension.”

“Unexpected item in bagging area.”

Jungle Man and EsserWarrior like this.
  11. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

- When people that know nothing about animal husbandry and practices but try to argue about how animals are "being mistreated" by being in captivity.
    - When people excessively baby talk to people/animals
    - When people don't do basic research before buying an animal and then complain when it dies/has complications.

JT, evilmonkey239, Jungle Man and 2 others like this.
  12. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

When people think all zoos are bad.

13. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Yep, that is a perennial irritation. :mad:

JT, evilmonkey239 and red river hog like this.
  14. BerdNerd

BerdNerd Well-Known Member

My Pet Peeves:

(this list isn't in order)

- When a place with animals (I'm looking at you, aquariums) has an animal in one of its exhibits that isn't signed. So I have to go home and try to research that one animal, and if it's not a bird, I would say 60% of the time I can't find it on my own.

- When I get the opportunity to go to a zoo or aquarium, (which is not very often) and an exhibit/part of the zoo is closed (due to construction or COVID-19).

- The sound of Velcro

- People not wearing face masks in public places.

- People who litter.

- Jaywalkers who block or slow down traffic.

- Little kids who bang on the glass of fish tanks

- People calling apes "monkeys".

- Slow Internet

- Protesters (don't send hate to me plz)

- People who knock on my door early in the morning or late at night, just so they can try to convince me to join their club/church/buy something.

- People who think zoos are "horrible places" and "inhumaine"

- Farm animals who are mistreated on farms (like chickens being stuffed in cages in factories to produce eggs)

- People who abuse animals (a huge pet peeve)

-Teachers who give you detention because you forgot to do your homework that one day, even though you've been turning it in on time everyday for the past couple months.

- Poachers

- People who ask me if I'm good at math, just because I'm Asian, and look at me with disappointment when I tell them I'm not.

- People who show no respect or kindness to animals.

- Bananas

15. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What's the story behind this one?

16. BerdNerd

I just simply think they taste disgusting. I have a small memory when my parents made me try one when I was a toddler, and I thought it was so gross, that I threw up in the kitchen sink :p

red river hog likes this.
  17. BerdNerd

Yeah, I think that's annoying too. I love and respect animals and all, but I have an aunt who is an animal rights freak who takes things way too overboard. She refuses to ride horses, which I guess is ok. But once, she went to a dinner party with 30 other people, and made the other 29 change the meal to all vegetarian, because she refused to eat meat, which happened to be served at the party, so they had to change the meal to fit to her needs. Another bad thing about her is that I once visited her in New Jersey, and my family was planning to visit the zoo, but had to cancel it because she thought it was an "evil place".

HungarianBison and evilmonkey239 like this.
  18. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

That stinks. Resources and Tips for Zoo Debates This link might help convince some people... but maybe not your aunt :p.

19. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

For some people these kind of personal ontologies on "animal rights" are quasi-religious beliefs / worldviews and are wrapped up in all the dogma and bias of religiosity.

It is like challenging one of the adherents of the Abrahamic / Judeo-Christian religions on their worldview by presenting scientific evidence of evolution that contradicts their religious teachings , will a devout Christian , Muslim or Jew be able to accomodate this evidence into their worldview or be able to rise above their emotional response to being challenged on this point ? Probably not, so what is the point of doing so ?

It is possible to sometimes get them to challenge their own simplistic assumptions or see the other side and the nuance but it takes a lot of sustained energy and patience which in most cases is probably better spent elsewhere.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2020
  20. Zoofan15

I have no issue with vegetarians, except when they enforce in on others. When I was twelve, I went to a dinner party at friends of my parents and the host (who was vegetarian) showed us the serving table (which was stacked with dishes of vegetarian food). She said if we didn't think the food was sufficient, she could go and cook some pizza. All the adults were too polite to say anything, so it fell to me to break it to her that she needed to crank up the wood burner. One bloke even said to my dad when she left the room, "Thank God your lad had the balls to say something, or we'd all be eating that Sh--t!"