Join our zoo community

Things That Irritate You on the Forum

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Great Argus, 18 Nov 2021.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I said exactly what I meant, and said it again (albeit in rather more words) in the post you just agreed with!

If you read "joins the site *solely* for the Fantasy Zoo area, has no interest in participating in the wider community, deliberately acts immaturely and posts largely in text-speak" and interpret that to apply to EVERYONE in the Fantasy subforum, that rather speaks volumes about your own view of the actions of the sub-forum clientele methinks.

To be clear, it does not apply to everyone there, and no one has claimed this. There is a great deal of valuable discussion to be had where the subject of speculative exhibit/zoo design is concerned, and as Kevin demonstrated above also a great deal of valuable wellbeing and self-care :)

2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The problem is the speculation and immaturity has been increasingly spilling out into the rest of the forum. This leads to confusion and frustration.

Yes, but the immaturity leads to frustration that many of us are feeling towards younger members. I will also point out that the fantasy zoo subforum is not an important part of the site. The purpose of the site is to discuss zoos and wildlife, to keep up with news and post relevant media. It's sometimes nice to have a place to post fantasy-based zoo ideas, but its actual usefulness is arguably nil.

Probably not nearly so much as you think, I've noticed a distinct trend of younger members being attracted by that forum in particular. Now it is a public forum, but there are also rules and expectations that are not being followed.

It is not the implication. Not everyone who uses it is immature, but it has trended that direction lately. That was part of the reason Zoobinh and I decided to just leave Zoo Community and not attempt reviving it again. We realized it just wasn't meeting the interest of the subforum like it originally had. The quality of the threads is generally much lower than it used to be. There are exceptions, but I typically don't even bother with that subforum anymore.

3. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Simply put from my perspective as a young member-Tried the Fantasy zoo for a while, was fun a times, other times it wasn't and was generally more demanding than the General Zoo Discussion so I haven't really been on there in a while.

PossumRoach and Dhole dude like this.
  4. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As much as I really don't want to admit, the resentments of and arguments against the fantasy zoos subforum in this thread are undeniably strong and correct.

I am afraid there's an inevitable conclusion that I can no longer participate in the fantasy zoo forum while feeling that I'm doing something that is good and right for ZooChat.

Therefore I have decided the submission that I am currently working on will be my final fantasy zoo project ever. All ideas, notes and concept drawings for future project will be destroyed soon.

As much as I enjoy fantasy zoo work and as much as I don't want to do this, there is no other option at this point but to step away from these things, forever. It doesn't feel right for me, but it is the right thing to do for the ZooChat community as a whole, and therefore a sacrifice I morally have to make.

I will thus be going back to gallery postings and sporadic posts, and during the periods where I don't do those, just reading posts and watching images.

5. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

That seems highly unnecessary, I suggest continuing if you are having fun. There is a balance, I do fantasy zoo stuff, and am also active on other forums, same with you. There isn’t a problem at all as far as I’m concerned. Frankly, this conversation has derailed, and I think it would be best to pretend it never happened.

6. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Parts of the conversation in regards to immaturity and to a lesser extent the fantasy forum are still quite relevant, and should not be brushed off so easily.

7. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

I know, I just don’t think it is worth people getting upset over.

8. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Sometimes disagreements, heated discussions, and strong emotions happen on this site. It is a normal part of meaningful discourse and is not something to be avoided, since it often reveals issues and perspectives that may not have been known otherwise. If problems were never discussed, they would never be solved. The key to making it productive is remaining respectful and focused on the content itself so that it doesn't become petty or personal. If you aren't comfortable with those kinds of discussions, you don't have to participate in them - but they will happen.

PossumRoach, Batto, TinoPup and 5 others like this.
  9. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just to add on to this, as someone who partaked in the debate, I have come out of it with more respect for @TeaLovingDave and @Great Argus for respecting my view and constructively disagreeing with me, and I hope they have the same attitude coming out of this as well.
    I'm pretty sure this will just make the problem worse for the forum. The removal of quality, mature projects from yourself in that section helps to move away from the immaturity of it. If people like you leave, soon the only ones that will be left will be the ones who are immature, basically making it sectioned off from the rest of the forum due to it.

@KevinB, I don't mean to sound condescending here but I think you and I both know that these punishments you give to yourself aren't working, for this and other matters. I'm pretty sure nobody in this forum will view you less highly if you want to do your fantasy zoo projects, as you clearly have a passion for them. Don't punish yourself for a problem that is outside of your control.

TinoPup and KevinB like this.
  10. Randomname0183

Randomname0183 Well-Known Member

As one of the admittedly younger (and newer, at that) zoochaters, I understand in a way how other youths in the website could become irritating and tiresome. I myself do my best to try not be one of those people (I also try to participate in other threads but seldom have much to contribute). I had never heard about this side of the zoochat community, and hearing this sort of input is helpful and gives a view of both demographics of the website, young and old.

Batto and Bengal Tiger like this.
  11. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

I feel like I should comment on this.
    As someone who has spent a lot of time on the fantasy zoo threads and has created a lot of threads on that part of the site, I can tell you when I was first starting out on ZooChat I really did enjoy those things. The challenges and stuff, especially through the quarantine era, really helped relax and gave me something enjoyable to do, and the comments and criticism I got from more experienced members of that side helps me to learn a lot about zoo design and realism. That is my defense for being on that side of the forum.
    I do have to say though, I do take some blame on for ruining that part of the forum. I feel like some of my threads I have created were nothing but unrealistic and silly. I know I made a thread that had the challenge of creating an exhibit for a fantasy creature, which was unprofessional and awfully foolish for a site like this. There are most likely other challenges that I have created which were unnecessary. I apologize.

12. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

As I read through this thread I remain astonished that it has become such an issue. Forum members who are not interested in the Fantasy posts never see them. Posts elsewhere that read as immature can be ignored. Members whose posts irritate one can be ignored.
    I am in favor of zoo fans trying out roles and scenarios to discover where their ignorance and romantic notions of what a zoo is clash with reality. (I admit that when a post asserts that there is a straightforward and simple response to any issue with a zoo, or that some zoo ought to redevelop large areas of exhibits because they are dated I do feel a reaction of "You need a reality check!" But it is not only the younger Zoochatters who do this.)
    Perhaps the problem has seemed most acute to the Mods because they have to read every single post on the site and, as they are not enthusiasts of the Fantasy posts themselves, they are more bothered by them.
    I will always advocate for more freedom of expression and greater inclusion except when posts are hateful or intentionally creating discord without a constructive reason, If the real issue lies with the Mods that's fine but I'd prefer that it be stated. "We don't have time to moderate your nonsense." That, too, is a reasonable position IMO

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The problem is that these have been increasing in both frequency and level of immaturity over the last year or two, to the point that people have been finding it harder and harder to ignore them - and many long-standing members have either left the site or severely scaled back their presence as a result. Given a choice between encouraging newer members to act more maturely and holding onto the reservoir of experience and knowledge the forum membership represents, and allowing the forum to dwindle and become just another online venue for immature "shitposting" the arithmetic is simple :p

And recent moves are nothing at all to do with our having to read everything in the fantasy section - apart from anything else, with just three of us plus Simon it's impossible for us to read every post on the site, which is why it's important to cultivate a more mature and well-behaved atmosphere!

14. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Surely saying thanks is just being polite? I get that I can like the post but if it’s a direct answer to a question that I have specifically asked then I feel that saying thanks to show my gratitude to the other member is merited.

TNT and IndianRhino like this.
  15. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

Yes, that makes sense. I do that too but oftentimes I try to add more than just thanks and elaborate a little if that makes sense. Anyways, I would say thanks is an exception, but something like “ok” or “oh” is what gets a little annoying.

pangolin12 likes this.
  16. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Yes I agree with “oh and “ok” they can get quite irritating

IndianRhino likes this.
  17. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

This has long been my policy.

ZooChat was created with fairly broad themes and while I have always been quite strict with how I enforce the rules - the actual discussions that take place here has been driven almost exlusively by the membership. Looking back over how the site has changed over the years and the new forum topics that have been introduced will demonstrate the way the discussion evolves.

I continually suggest to people to put those members who irk you on ignore, and to pay no attention to the topics that are of no interest to you.

I've been requesting for years that the developers of the forum software include the ability to ignore entire topics - which would mean that anyone not interested in fantasy posts can completely ignore them and they wouldn't appear in New Posts searches.

I am also in favour of zoo fans trying out scenarios and exploring ideas which is why there was a Fantasy Zoos section to begin with, and is why we are continuing with a Speculative Zoo Design and Planning topic moving forward.

The issue I have is not with the fantasy discussion itself - it is with the fact that for many members it has become only about playing games, not about any kind of meaningful discussion.

I get that playing games can be educational - but that is clearly not the intent with many of the games currently being played.

It's also not the games themselves which are the problem - it is the very young and often immature members they attract, many of whom seem to be largely uninterested in contributing to the broader community. I've spent quite a bit of time looking at statistics and there are a significant number of newer members who spend almost all of their time posting on ZooChat in the Fantasy section.

There are some members who have never posted anywhere except the fantasy section - and we're talking hundreds of posts.

As mentioned - the fantasy posts themselves have never really been the issue.

The character-driven role playing games and stories did become an issue because they were straying into topics and themes that we deemed unsuitable for our diverse community. But the remainder of the fantasy discussions have not really been a problem in themselves.

This is a very large part of the issue and the reason we originally banned the stories and character driven role playing games. They generated such high volumes of posts that it become impossible to effectively moderate them to ensure they remained within the rules - indeed, by the time we realised just how bad things had become (from an inappropriate content perspective), there was no realistic way to save many of the threads and we had to remove most of them.

The same issue happens with the fantasy games - high volumes of posts from often very young members creates a lot of issues for the moderation team. If it were part of the core discussion, the volume of posts wouldn't be an issue - but these threads are not what we are here for, they generate a huge amount of work for the moderators, and then there are flow-on effects across the rest of the site from the behaviour of some of the members these theads have attracted.

Absolutely - which is one of the reasons why it has taken so long for us to decide on a course of action. The moderators and some of our members have been calling for action on this issue for years now. As mentioned, we have a moderator discussion thread that started back in 2018 which raised the issue and the discussion has been ongoing since then.

Many of the suggestions have involved simply removing the fantasy section completely - mostly from those people who have no interest in that area. I've resisted this because it has been an interesting part of the site for many years now and serves a purpose to explore ideas.

As a website operator, more content is always good - as are more members. This leads me to always be relutctant to take any action which limits our potential audience and the content that gets created.

However, when it becomes clear that other parts of the site are suffering - the core parts which are why I started the site in the first place - then action is indeed required.

I get that these fantasy threads have become a safe haven for some of our members - especially with all of the stress that current world events have placed on everyone. I regret that this change may have a negative impact on some people who have come to rely on these topics to escape from reality for a short time.

However, I do feel it is the only workable solution moving forward and is not a decision I've come to lightly.

18. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Just as a general note about this thread. I would like to assure all of our members that the recent changes announced yesterday are coincidental to this thread and indeed the work on these changes started well before the posts in this thread were made.

The changes we've implemented are not a reaction to any recent posts or issues and have been a point of discussion for many years now.

19. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Thank you both for your explanations. Obviously there was a lot going on I knew nothing about (which I suppose means that in some ways the system worked)

20. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Well said! I agree.