Join our zoo community

This book belongs in all of our libraries!!!

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 6 May 2008.

Tags:
  1. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

Radio Interview

If anyone wants to listen and hear Peter Greenberg do a good job of promoting zoos and pushing them as good vacation destinations, he does so in a 5-minute interview with me -- to be aired tomorrow (Saturday, June 6).
    Tune in at: News Radio 1440

Greenberg's show goes from 10am to 1pm Eastern, but I think my interview (and the zoo talk) is at about 11:25am Eastern.

Peter Greenberg is a nationally-known travel expert and the author of the best-selling books, The Travel Detective, and other books. He's the Travel Editor for NBC's Today Show and is frequently seen on NBC, MSNBC, The Travel Channel, PBS, and elsewhere. His radio show is heard nationally on over 150 stations. So it's great to have such a major voice on the side of zoos!

2. ANyhuis

We have some more radio interviews, in case you want to listen. Links to the stations are at the following:
    Events, Articles, etc - America's Best Zoos

Interviews: Friday, 6:40pm (Sacramento, California)
    Monday, 8:03pm (New Rochelle, New York)
    Saturday, 11am (Portland, Oregon)

3. ANyhuis

Again, just in case any of your are interested, I'm doing another radio interview today (Monday) on KNRY, Monterey, California. I'll be on the "Travel Talk" show, with host Celeste White, talking with her from 3:42pm (Pacific) to 3:55. I'm positive that Celeste will ask me a lot about her local Monterey Bay Aquarium, but also about other topics.

If you really want to, you can listen here:
    KNRY Radio-Streaming

4. ANyhuis

Another radio interview

If this doesn't interest you, please ignore it. But if there's any part of you that would enjoy hearing me talk, on the radio, about zoos, feel free to tune in tomorrow (Saturday, August 22) at 10:32am Eastern. My interview is on the "Travel Planners" show on KMOX, St. Louis, Missouri. Anyone worldwide can hear the interview at the following:
    GAB Network (Global American Broadcasting Network)

In addition to talking about our book and zoos in general, I imagine the St. Louis Zoo will be an important topic.

5. ANyhuis

OK, I'm feeling insecure about posting this again, but some of you have told me you enjoyed my past interviews.
    I have another radio interview tomorrow (Sunday afternoon, Sept.6) at 2:30pm Eastern. It's on KSL, Salt Lake City, Utah, so I'll undoubtedly be talking about the Hogle Zoo.

102.7 FM & 1160 AM

6. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for letting us now Allen! I look forward to it.

7. ANyhuis

Since some of you have been interested in the past, tomorrow I have 2 interviews in which I talk about zoos:

Links to listen/watch are at the following:

First, sometime between 2-4pm Eastern, I've taped a 6-minute radio interview with Erik Hastings. His "Travel Show with Erik Hastings" originates from WABC-AM in New York, but it's syndicated nationwide.

Then, at about 6:10pm Eastern, I'm doing a live interview on Erik's TV webcast show, "Travel Show Live". Because this is a TV interview, if you watch you'll see some photos of zoos that Jon (my coauthor) took. You'll also see what we look like.

Erik Hastings is one of the "big shots" in travel radio, and he really likes zoos!

8. ANyhuis

Once again, since some of you have been interested in the past, tomorrow I have another radio interview in which I talk about zoos, in particular the Indianapolis Zoo and its new Cheetahs exhibit. The interview (Sunday, June 20) is at 9:55am and again at 11:55am Eastern and can be tuned in directly at 93.1 FM if you are near to Indianapolis, Indiana. Or you can link to this interview at our website:

Or finally, you can go directly to the website of WIBC, Indianapolis' #1 station, at:
    Indy's News Center - 93.1 WIBC Indianapolis - Live. Local. First.

9. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I recently bought a used copy of the book and love it. My partner and I like to read about a new zoo each night. After hearing descriptions of certain zoos, I look forward to visiting them in the future. I was also pleasantly surprised to see Buffalo Zoo was mentioned! I know compared to many zoos many people wouldn't appreciate this zoo, but it being one of my home zoos, it's nice to hear some positive things about it!

10. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

I was also pleased to see the often times underapreciated KC Zoo in it.

11. ANyhuis

Blospz, did you know that my niece is working at your hometown Zoo? She's in the zookeeper's school out there, and she's doing her internship working at the Buffalo Zoo.

12. JaxElephant

JaxElephant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I hopefully I am able to get this magnificent book, read your review of your website Anyhuis. I know I will love this book. :)

13. ANyhuis

Thanks so much! Please feel free to ask for our book ("America's Best Zoos") at your local zoo's gift shop. If more zoo gift shops were carrying our book, we could have the sales necessary to ensure a next edition of the book.

14. blospz

ANyhuis, I haven't checked this thread recently. What animal department is she working in? I wouldn't be surprised me if she's walked past me a few times before as I'm there a lot.

15. ANyhuis

She's in the 4-year zookeeper degree at Canisius College, so she works a little bit all over the zoo. She's mentioned working in the Reptiles building, in the rain forest building, and with the bears. I don't want to post her name here, but her initials are "HA".

16. blospz

Oh I'm so jealous she works in the rainforest and with the bears. I wonder if she's ever worked directly with the tamandua, he's my favorite animal in the zoo. I hope she enjoys working here. It's very convenient for Canisius students since it's not too far from campus (when in session).

17. ANyhuis

Funny thing, I DO remember her mentioning the tamandua! Not sure what she did with it, though.

18. blospz

I'm so jealous now! Very cool. Maybe she helped clip his nails.

19. JaxElephant

JaxElephant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I just got the book on Friday and I abosutely love the book all ready. Obivously I first check the Jacksonville Zoo and you made the zoo look great. I was surpise you put the African Section in your top 10 African Animals and Exhibit to be honest. I really can't get wait for your guys next edition, and if you go to the Jacksonville Zoo again then I will say wait until Monsoon Asia Phase 2A opens(includes Tigers, Asian Pigs, Hornbills, and Asian Turtles).

20. Electus Parrot

Electus Parrot Well-Known Member

In the area I live in in Australia our library has that book and it was an amzing informative read. Definately puts into your head how good some the American zoos are.