Join our zoo community

This is for "Orbe"

Discussion in 'United States' started by tigerlover, 31 Jul 2007.

1. tigerlover

tigerlover Member

hey there,
    this post is to correspond to your post in the "intro" threads.

it was nice to hear you mention the tigers here in the US, and yes, very sad it is. but i was also kind of bummed to hear you say that you were more interested in the cats/zoos in your area (Australia, was it?)
    the tiger population depends on everyone all over the world, not just your area....
    yes, here, alot of the states still allow regular homeowners to have a permit for big cats, and when they get too big, they are abandoned to starve to death or killed, or very seldom get the opportunity to be rescued by a sanctuary.
    there are "road side" zoo's that breed tigers and big cats for their own profit, and it makes me down right sick, especially the imbreeding, the breeding between lions and tigers, and the destroying/killing of bengals and/or siberians that don't come out white...

do you know about the tiger killings in China for their fur trade and their bones for Chinese medicines? did you know this was legal there until WE ALL pitch in and raise a stink?

you should not only be concerned about the tigers where you live, because there are alot of places in the world that depend on their population.

if you would like to re-think that, one great place right here in Florida on the West Coast is called Big Cat Rescue in Tampa, not only do that have over 100 saved tigers and big cats, they just recently rescued 4 tigers from a shut down sanctuary that would have otherwise been euthanized (sp? sorry).... AND they have many different links on their site to voice an opinion and sign petitions to save the big cats.

just thought i'd let you know, since you voiced your love for tigers...

tigerlover
    here in the US:D

2. orbe

orbe Active Member

Hi Tigerlover,

Its not that I'm not interested in other regions or the world-wide effort.

In fact I visited Singapore Zoo last month and also saw tigers in Thailand. When I was in the USA 18 months ago, I was trying to find time to visit a sanctuary in Indianapolis, but unfortunately didn't get there.

I even signed up for a e-newletter for a German Zoo (to try and find out more about the programs there, where a couple of tigers have been exported to Australia) but unfortunately I can't read German!!! hehe

My interest in Australia came from starting to piece together the relationship between Sumatrans in Australia, as I have visited just about them all (and the hybrids) all in the past couple of years.

As I researched further, I soon realised the close relationship that exists and the difficulties in pairing up mates and of course the need to co-operate internationally and the political barriers that sometimes restrict that possibility.

I guess one day when I have the time it will probably lead me to other regions, but for now, there is enough to find out here.

3. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Hey I've done just that too and keep a close on on 'our' expats. Glad to see that someone else is interested in the blood lines.
    Jay

4. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Of course, what Australasian zoos (and probably the whole world) needs is some fresh Sumatran tiger blood FROM SUMATRA (or at least from Indonesia.)

I'm not suggesting grabbing more tigers from the wild, but surely there are breeding Sumatran tigers in Indo. zoos that are unrelated to our animals.

As Australia gives millions of dollars in aid to Indonesia each year, couldn't our government request the gift of a few tigers as an expression of friendship by the people of Indonesia?

(I hope I'm not going over old ground. As I've only been a member of this forum for a short while, it seems that every bright idea I come up with has already been suggested and "shot down" by the realists among us.)

5. tigerlover

tigerlover Member

awesome... good to know you guys on the other side of the world care too,
    tooshay!!!
    and no, that is not the correct spelling, but that's how must of us spell it anyway, it's easier, hehehehe

hey, if ya'll have zoo's over there with live web cams, i'd love to see the link(s), there's a couple here i have up on my computer daily....

if so, please share...

thanks a bunch!!!

6. orbe

orbe Active Member

what are the links to the webcams you have? What zoos?