Join our zoo community

Those We Have Known....

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by sooty mangabey, 29 Jan 2012.

1. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

there's been a few that'were not employed at a zoo but have posted that they were.

Chlidonias likes this.
  2. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was careful not to share anything from a zoo that wasn't already in the public domain.
    I'm still very careful what I post, as I sometimes 'hear stuff'.

pipaluk, TNT, ZooBinh and 1 other person like this.
  3. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

I stumbled across this site while looking for other information about zoos. I had started a website devoted to australian zoos but stopped adding to it not long after joining here.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Given that today is ZooChat's 17th anniversary - I thought I would do a quick check of which users from our top 50 posters haven't been seen recently.
    (Note: "account no longer valid" means that at some point an email sent to them has bounced back as undeliverable and so their account was deactivated automatically)

5. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@FunkyGibbon is a shock. I hope he’s alright.

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Still around but now posting (albeit rather less often) under the name @Themonkeyguy1 :p

Arizona Docent likes this.
  7. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It is interesting to see an updated list of users who have disappeared. I've been on ZooChat (at one time it was ZooBeat!) for 13 years and there are many others who have been admirable, long-term residents of this wonderful site.

It is a little worrying at times when folks seem to vanish into thin air, although I know (via Facebook) that several of those names are alive and well but there was simply a lack of interest in zoos over time. (Ridiculous! :p) I hope that nothing unfortunate has occurred with those individuals who were at one time regular posters and then they suddenly departed the site. It would be nice if a couple of them posted something, just so we could all know they are safe and sound. It wouldn't even have to be zoo related! ;)

8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As @snowleopard mentions, some people lose their interest in zoos. I am one of those. I have not lost all interest, but it has lessened quite a bit. I don't enjoy visiting zoos much these days but I still enjoy viewing news and discussions and keeping up with ZooChat. Two members who I remember well who seem to have disappeared are BlackDuiker (Los Angeles Zoo member) and Washaw (San Diego Zoo member).

9. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I'm in the same boat. After enjoying zoos for 40 years I'm more interested in seeing things in the wild. I still like zoos, and when I travel I take the opportunity to visit any new zoo (whether good or bad), but I'm not drawn to them the same way as I was when I was younger.

:p

Hix

10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I don't feel like I've lost my interest in zoos, but I do feel that I have grown more cynical to them as I age and I really struggle to feel interested in most zoos out there.

At one point they were a place to work and gain valuable skills and when I was a visitor to see and encounter fascinating species and tick them off the life list ( they still are both of these to me but to a much smaller extent now).

However, now I basically just mostly see them through a very utilitarian lens as a means to an end / vehicle through which important things such as ex-situ conservation and education can be achieved.

11. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can confirm Funky’s perfectly well.

12. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Parrotsandrew made an appearance on 20th August 2020 after not being 'seen' since October 2017.

13. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A happy belated anniversary to ZC! Surprised I'm a top 50 but I guess it shows just how much more frequently I used this site when I was younger.

14. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

mstickmanp is alive and well and working as a professional in the zoo world.
    Blackduiker is alive and well and enjoying life.
    nanoboy is alive and well and has a blog about birding: Birding Lovers
    jbnbsn99 is alive and well and writing and performing music, his first love.

15. Arizona Docent

Another good photographer I remember is @zootiger who has not posted a photo in a year and a half. However stats show he was on the site within the last week, so I guess he just looks now but doesn't post?

16. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@zootiger's last post was in April 2020.

17. Arizona Docent

Good to know. His last photo was March 2019 (if I remember from when I checked a few hours ago).

18. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I seem to go in cycles on the site. I have the same interest in zoos as I always have although am trying to travel as much as possible to visit places where I can see iconic species in the wild. I stay on the site more if there are some topics that interest me. The thread that hasn't been the same is the Fantasy Zoo forum. That one is not as enjoyable to me as it used to be.

19. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

How so? Just wondering.

20. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I liked when people just designed zoos. Instead it's always a contest of some sort. Fine for those that like it, just not my cup of tea.