Join our zoo community

Thread Of The Year: 2017 Submissions

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by pachyderm pro, 28 Nov 2017.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Once upon a time...

CGSwans: 'Twas nice to have been in contention for thread of the year for at least a little while.
    pachyderm pro: Is this an actual competition?
    Arizona Docent: It is now!

No Kidding ;)

2017 is soon coming to a close, so what a better way to ring in 2018 than with a new annual (hopefully) competition hosted by yours truly. The title is fairly self explanatory so I'll just cover the basics on how this will work.

Between now and the midnight of December 15th, message me three threads that you think should be a candidate for thread of the year. (Moderator edit - you can also post your choices as a reply to this thread). After all of the votes are tallied, the top 5 most requested threads will be entered into a poll in which you can then vote for your one favorite and ONE ONLY. The poll will close on the 30th of December. After the vote, the winning thread will be revealed at Midnight December 31st to celebrate the new year (West Coast Time zone). All votes will be private and only I will be able to view them.

Additional Rules:
    1. You may not vote for your own thread(s) in the message voting, but you are allowed to in the poll vote.
    2. You must said exactly 3 message votes, no more, no less.

This will be interesting for sure! Ask any additional questions below and remember...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Nov 2017
    TheGerenuk and Arizona Docent like this.
  2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

"Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

:p

3. pachyderm pro

Nearly 24 hours and only one submission? Come on your all better than this! :p

4. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is this just for threads under general discussion, or can it be for others such as threads for specific countries, fantasy zoos, private collections, etc.?

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

It's because you made it "silent". Threads build on posts. If there are no posts in a thread then it moves down the chain and gets overlooked, hence you won't get many responses in your inbox. Also nobody has any clue how active an idea it even is because it is "silent", so there is less incentive for people to participate. If submissions are made in the thread, then it will get built upon as more people open it to see what is being posted.

Also, I feel you're kind of shooting the concept in the foot by making it "silent". Surely the point is to make people aware of all the best threads of the year, not just the top few most-suggested which you would put in the poll?

Last edited: 28 Nov 2017
    FunkyGibbon and natel12 like this.
  6. pachyderm pro

Any thread that was created between Jan. 1st 2017 to now from any category is allowed.

natel12 likes this.
  7. pachyderm pro

Oh I'm not being serious, though I can see were you are coming from. I spent some time thinking about what the best way to go around this is, and I felt that if I picked the threads there would be a bias. I wanted to get people involved in picking the threads that they would vote on. This is what I thought up but I see the holes in this concept, mainly how this thread could get lost in the bunch compared to others. I could maybe make a post once or twice a week just saying how many submissions have been sent, but I'm not sure that would be the best idea either. I'll see what I can do.

8. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, this seems interesting. I'll vote for "The Never Ending Story" by Zoofan15, "SJ13 and MagpieGoose Build a Zoo" by ShonenJake13, and "Dream Exotic Pet Species" by ThomasNotTom.

-:cool::cool:TheWalrus:cool::cool:

Last edited: 29 Nov 2017
    Zoofan15 likes this.
  9. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm going to post in-thread with my selections:-

CGSwans Flies North For The Winter
    The second half of Chlidonias Goes To Asia
    And finally snowleopard's Epic Road Trip

Sooty Mangabey nearly made it with his Madrid and California trip threads but the above three won out because of length. Sorry Sooty. :(

TheGerenuk likes this.
  10. pachyderm pro

That's more like it :p. Both of you have had your nominee's entered, thank you for participating.

And this seems like an appropriate time to add, if you don't mind having your nom's public feel free to post them here, or just message me if you'd prefer.

11. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would propose the following:

How to found a zoo by @Batto

CGSwans flies north for the winter by @CGSwans

Like a Rhinestone Cowboy: FunkyGibbon in Europe by @FunkyGibbon

TheGerenuk, natel12 and Batto like this.
  12. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My submissions would be:
    Ungulate taxonomy revisited: the evidence for the splits of G&G by @lintworm
    Chlidonias goes to Asia: Part II by @Chlidonias

TheGerenuk likes this.
  13. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

So many great threads, so difficult to choose just three, so apologies to all those with great threads that haven't made this list:

Ungulate taxonomy revisited: the evidence for the splits of G&G by @lintworm
    CGSwans flies north for the winter by @CGSwans

I would have liked to include @Chlidonias most recent trip to Asia thread, however it was started last year so I don't know if that can be counted.

TheGerenuk likes this.
  14. pachyderm pro

@Brum When your referring to Chlidonias Asia thread were you asking for the second half of it to be entered? Of the most recent one? Sorry that thread was starting in October of last year, so I can’t count it as a canadate.

15. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree with my fellow moderator @Chlidonias - it is far preferable (and you will get more responses) if people can just post their picks on this thread instead of sending you a private conversation. Honestly I doubt every user even knows how to do that. I don't normally do this, but I am going to use (abuse) my power as a moderator to edit your initial post to add that entries can be submitted directly on this thread.

16. pachyderm pro

No problem, I suppose your right. Using the messaging concept I got one submission in 24 hours. With posting them on the thread, I’ve gotten five, so it’s pretty obvious what the superior system is.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  17. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Personally my favourite threads made this year are:
    How to Found a Zoo by @Batto
    2017 Big Year by @jbnbsn99
    Never Ending Story by @Zoofan15

Zoofan15 and TheGerenuk like this.
  18. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

19. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have to go with:
    Pittsburgh zoo news 2017
    How To found a zoo (my personal favorite)
    And finally 2017 big year

TheGerenuk likes this.
  20. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have tallied the results of the voting thus far, and here are the results (creators are listed in brackets):
    • 5 votes: How to Found a Zoo (Batto).
    • 4 votes: CGSwans Flies North for the Winter (CGSwans)
    • 3 votes: The Never Ending Story (Zoofan15)
    • 2 votes: Ungulate Taxonomy Revisited: The Reasons for the Splits of G&G (lintworm), 2017 Big Year (jbnbsn99), Like a Rhinestone Cowboy: FunkyGibbon in Europe (FunkyGibbon), California Dreamin'- July Road Trip (snowleopard).
    • 1 vote: ShonenJake13 and MagpieGoose Build a Zoo (ShonenJake13), Dream Exotic Pet Species (ThomasNotTom), Hix Does Brunei (Hix), San Diego Zoo- San Diego Zoo News 2017 (Coelacanth18), Pittsburgh Zoo News 2017 (pachyderm pro), Milwaukee County Zoo news 2017 (pachyderm pro), Marwell News 2017 (MagpieGoose).
    Voting will be tallied again in a week, so stay tuned!

-:cool::cool:TheWalrus:cool::cool: