Join our zoo community

Thread of the Year 2021: Nominations

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by pachyderm pro, 30 Nov 2021.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Time for our 5th annual thread of the year completion. Most should know how this works by now, but we have more new members then ever so here is a little refresher on the rules.

1.) Post the names the three threads that you think should be a candidate for thread of the year on this thread. Any kind of thread is eligible - whether it be news, discussion, travel, lists, history, speculative design, etc. Anything goes as long as it was created this year.
    2.) Please put both the title and name of the user that created the thread.
    3.) You cannot submit your own thread to be nominated. However, if your thread is within the top contenders you are permitted to vote for it if you wish.
    4.) You must nominate exactly three different threads, any more or less and your nominations will not be counted.
    5.) When the nominations have concluded, the top five threads that received the most nominations will be entered into a poll. Here we have a slight rule change, in the event of a tie both threads will be included. For example, if two threads tie for the fifth most submissions, both threads will be included in the poll. So there could hypothetically be six or seven threads in the poll if the circumstances are there.

Whatever thread has the most votes on midnight December 31st is the winner of the 2021 ZooChat thread of the year. Nominations end on midnight December 15th. From there the top five most popular threads will go head to head in a poll to decide the final winner. Feel free to ask for any further clarifications if needed. Get to voting!

To commemorate the fifth annual competition, here are some interesting stats regarding the past four competitions. This may help predict the outcome of this years vote.
    • 3 of the 4 winners so far have been travel threads.
    • One fantasy thread has been nominated every year.
    • @lintworm (wherever he may be) is the only member to win twice, including the only non travel thread that has won the competition.
    • All of the previous winners have had at least 40% of the vote.
    • @snowleopard won by the largest margin - a total of 47.1% of the vote.
    • @Zoofan15 is the only member to appear in the top five every year so far. Interestingly, all have been fantasy threads.

2. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

I'd mention
    'Masterplan of my absolute zoo' by @Haliaeetus,
    'A Guide to the Rarities of Europe' by @amur leopard and
    'Prague Zoo news 2021' by @Jana.

3. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Let's be honest, this is not a great year for good zc thread. The pandemic limited a lot of travel thread, and some of the member which provide great content have been a bit inactive lately. Still, there are some good thread to light us up in this situation.

I nominate:

'Today's backyard wildlife' by @Arizona Docent
    AD's photo thread showcase great wildlife photo around his area

'Exploring What’s on my Doorstep: WhistlingKite24 does South-east Queensland' by @WhistlingKite24
    A wildlife thread where we get to follow wk24 going through SE Queensland and looking for mostly birds

'A Guide to the Rarities of Europe' by @amur leopard
    AL trying to get a complete list for animals rarely kept based on ztl

4. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

Personally, I would say the Toronto Zoo family Tree by @TZFan thread was really nice, hopefully if it gets enough recognition Zoo chatters could banned together and do it for all the well known zoos.

My second picks might be the Mixed species possibilities as it really sparked some of the natural and unnatural behaviour in animals that could be held together.

My third pick is a tough one as I would nominate the Elephant threads with both Asian and African elephants. Absolutely loved learning loads from the Zoo chatters, as well it really keeps up to date and lots of great speculation happening on those elephant threads.

5. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

A Guide to the Rarities of Europe by @amur leopard. Very comprehensive and detailed. A wonderful resource for many zoochatters. Highly recommended for entire.

Masterplan of My Absolute Zoo by @Haliaeetus. Extremely detailed with wonderful walkthroughs, and sure to please anybody who decides to give it a read.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Dec 2021
    amur leopard and Haliaeetus like this.
  6. pachyderm pro

These threads were created in 2015, 2018 and 2020 respectively and therefore are not eligible to be nominated. Both of you will have to pick a different thread(s) in order for all of your votes to counted.

Arizona Docent and Bengal Tiger like this.
  7. pachyderm pro

Missed this one; also made in 2020. None of the threads you nominated were made this year. You'll have to find three completely new selections.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  8. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Never mind in that case, I can’t really think of anything.

9. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

A Guide to the Rarities of Europe by @amur leopard
    It has been mentioned a couple times already, but I already had it in mind before viewing on this thread. Spectacular work, and I can only hope one day a similar thread could be attempted by someone in North America, as impractical as that may be.
    ZooChat Big Year 2021 started by @Chlidonias
    It has been eye opening and very exciting trying to find and identify as many animal species as I could this year. While I may not have had the most impressive of numbers, it has been very interesting reading other's entries and discovering the surprising diversity in wildlife around me. It was technically created on Dec. 31 2020, but I would think it is still eligible for this nomination, as it wouldn't have made sense to nominate it for 2020.
    ZooChat Challenge North America 2021 started by @Coelacanth18
    Similarly I also enjoyed this thread, even though I have not done particularly well in the challenge.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2021
  10. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

Realised that last year all my nominations were fantasy zoos (which's kinda depressing), so why not none this year :p

'Exploring What’s on my Doorstep: WhistlingKite24 does South-east Queensland' by @WhistlingKite24
    Probably some of the best content on ZC rn.

'Zoochat big Year 2021' by @Chlidonias
    Whilst I feel like this is kinda cheating cause the og concept was started way back in 2013, this was the first year which I joined and it's been blast doing it, also as it's been the most replied out of any of the threads, so that's gotta mean something right?

'Top 20 favourite birds you've seen & top 15 birds you want to see' by @Benosaurus
    Just enjoy the concept of this thread and I feel stuff like this should be more common on the forum, for different groups, etc. Overall neat concept and I kinda wish it had more participation.

11. pachyderm pro

No problem, as long as you submit a replacement in the next two weeks your vote will count.

12. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

That's cause your timezone's just worst :p, and since Chlid's from NZ, he made the thread in 2021 so, it's elligible.

13. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just have to say, I did a double take on this post since you accidentally typed "banned" instead of "band"! :eek:
    Still deciding on my nominations, I'll get them submitted here sooner or later.

birdsandbats likes this.
  14. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Ah, I see. I hadn't accounted for that, I just assumed the thread was made a little early.

15. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd like to nominate the following threads.
    • "A guide to the rarities of Europe" by @amur leopard
    • "Exploring What's on my Doorstep: WhistlingKite24 does South-east Queensland" by @WhistlingKite24
    • "Masterplan of my "absolute" zoo" by @Haliaeetus

16. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

With no big travel threads and with no big debates, like the ZooChat World Cup I mostly enjoyed following the ZooChat Challenges. I know that lintworm is doing well, but I also miss his highly valuable input this year. My top three will be:

ZooChat. Challenge Europe 2021. Many thanks to @ShonenJake13 for creating this Heavy Herbivores challenge, so we could enjoy playing it, without being limited too much with the restrictions.

ZooChat. Global Challenge 2021. @ZooBinh also brought mammal competition to the table, but this time with more elusive, harder to get animals, and made the year, even more exciting.

Guide to the Rarities of Europe' by @amur leopard, who put a lot of efforts and enthusiasm in this thread and I'm sure it will be very valuable source in the future and one of the ZooChat classics.

Last edited: 1 Dec 2021
  17. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

Sorry about that, darn autocorrect.

18. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’d like to nominate:

Australasian Population List Index by @WhistlingKite24

Exploring What’s on my Doorstep: WhistlingKite24 does South-east Queensland' by @WhistlingKite24

A Guide to the Rarities of Europe' by @amur leopard

19. ChIkEn NuGrEt

ChIkEn NuGrEt Well-Known Member

I’d like to nominate:

- Australasian Population List Index by @WhistlingKite24

- Zoo Decisions 5 - Phase 1 (1921-1945) by @Zoofan15

- Masterplan of my "absolute" zoo by @Haliaeetus

As you can probably tell, I don't get around the website much, lol.

Last edited: 1 Dec 2021
  20. Lankey Kong

Lankey Kong Member

pachyderm pro, Zoofan15 and akasha like this.