Join our zoo community

Thylacine living in zoo ?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Yoman35, 1 Sep 2007.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member

It probably is my age combined with the fact that they are one of my favorite species and I just want to believe. Also, there appears to be a high number of people, around 3,800 people on mainland Australia to be exact, have reported seeing the Thylacine and this includes park rangers who know what animals are around and not just random tourists and such. Also, many people on both mainland Australia and Tasmania believe the animal still exists dispite never seeing it for themselves. Their has been little, but still some, video and photo evidence. I don't exactly believe most of it but there are those some...

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

Well, that's an honest answer ThylacineAlive.;)

I think you should completely discount all the Australian mainland 'sightings' though.:( It hasn't existed there within historical time. And as you know none of the hazy or blurred video/film clips attempting to prove it does live there have shown anything other than halfstarved or mangy Foxes or Dogs. Strangely these seem to come mostly from the mainland rather than from Tasmania, perhaps just reflecting the higher population there while some of them are shot in urban areas also..

Tasmania has produced its fair share of 'fake' photos though and everytime something like that crops up, it further undermines any credibility that the animal may still exist. But it is much harder to dismiss some of the most authentic-sounding sightings such as by experienced Forestry and Wildlife Department Workers (e.g. Hans Naarding in 1982) quite so easily.

My own feeling is that the probability of its continued existence can be evaluated as follows by % chance;

Australian Mainland. 0%
    Tasmania.10%
    New Guinea. ? (but higher than the above!)

I was impressed that you saw through the fake photo so quickly.;)

Last edited: 14 Nov 2012
  3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member

I know my Thylacines. That was definetly a Fossa, as I stated earlier.

You are probably right about most of the video evidence but you never know about one or two of them. My original avatar was going to be of picture evidence of the Thylacine still surviving but I have yet to find one that looks real in my eyes.

4. Pertinax

You won't find one, believe me. I've been looking without success for years!:)

5. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Sorry to bump an old friend, but does anyone know of an online list of all thylacine kept in captivity - specifically the 20 that were in London Zoo? Unless I'm being very stupid, the (excellent) Thylacine Museum website doesn't have such a list. Many thanks to anyone who can point me in such a direction.

6. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member

I believe the Washington zoo DC had a couple around 1906.

7. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member

My brother is in Australia at the moment and should be in Tasmania in 2 weeks time. I have asked him to bring back a pair of thylacines for London Zoo. Unfortunately, I don't think he's that interested and if he were lucky enough to see one, he'd write it off as a dog. He's spending a week in Sydney, but has no intention of seeing a platypus - that was one of the main reasons I went to Sydney.

When I was in Madagascar, I had a talk with a man who went behind the scenes at the Tsimbazaza Zoo. He said he saw a monkey that had been caught in the wild. It may have been a macaque, but Ian was far more interested in moths than in primates. It's a pity I didn't go to the zoo with him as I would have liked to see the primate.

8. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member Premium Member

Washington Zoo had five thylacines between 1902 and 1909.

9. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member Premium Member

"Sooty" see the link below:-

The Thylacine Museum - The Thylacine in Captivity: Zoos, Circuses and Menageries (page 14)

10. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

11. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

Thylacine Dreams

So I found this blog some of ya'll might be interested in. They post a lot of old photos of living animals, along with photos of taxidermy and skins.

12. zooboy28

zooboy28 Moderator Staff Member

A thylacine skin has been "discovered" in a small town museum in New Zealand, apparently there are many hanging around undocumented in private collections.

Mike Dickison on Twitter

13. Pertinax

That skin is unfaded so has not been exposed to light that much. Note black stripes on the(true colour) yellowish grey background and slightly longer coat indicating this specimen was probably killed in winter.

ThylacineAlive and zooboy28 like this.