Join our zoo community

Thylacine living in zoo ?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Yoman35, 1 Sep 2007.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh trust me I know that!!!!:D:D

When is this conversation going to go back to Thylacines, where it's suppose to be. No Flying Speghetti Monsters on this thread ok, jbnbsn99.

2. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Don't take the Flying Spaghetti Monster's name in vain, pagan.

:p

Hix

3. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

ThylacineAlive have you read Paddle's book The last Tasmanian Tiger? He sums up pretty well why it is very unlikely Thylacine are still out there. I suspect you would prefer Guiler's books better as he does the same why he believes there are some left.

4. ThylacineAlive

I have no neither Paddle's or Guiler's books. I should plan to in the furture.:eek:

5. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Yes, anybody seriously interested in thylacines should read:-

The Last Tasmanian Tiger (Robert Paddle)

Thylacine: The Tragedy of the Tasmanian Tiger (Eric Guiler)

Another excellent book on the subject is:-

Der Beutelwolf: Thylacinus cynocephalus (Heinz Friedrich Moeller)

This last book has the most comprehensive list of zoo thylacines that I am aware of; unfortunately it is only available in German; I wish somebody would produce an English translation.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I haven't read Paddle's book but I have got Guiler's main work 'Tragedy of the Tasmanian Tiger'. I have read it many times and found that despite that he was(he is dead now) a leading authority on the subject, Eric Guiler's book has a lot of contradictions and suppositions- it is not a very 'tidy' argument for his belief it still exists.

I believe Paddle was of the opinion Thylacines became extinct on the date the last one died in Hobart Zoo- but there is fairly clear evidence suggesting they lingered on a decade or more after that- if not into the present time.

7. Pertinax

Have you looked at the excellent 'Thylacine Museum' website? There is a chapter on 'Thylacines in Zoos, Circuses and Private Collections' and like the whole site, it is very comprehensive. It lists all the animals and their sources, that went to European and American Zoos, as well as within Tasmania & Australia. There are also many interesting photos and maps, including a few more of the animal which I had never seen before.

8. ThylacineAlive

The Thylacine Museum - A Natural History of the Tasmanian Tiger
    Have not explored the whole site yet but I'm loving the dedication and work that went into it. They have even contributed in discovering more about the Thylacine (ex. proving that Ben really was a boy)

9. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Your questions were more or less all answered earlier in the thread. Spend some time sifting through the pages.

10. ThylacineAlive

Too lazy:D I know the some were. I read a little of it. I have a complete list of Thylacine videos (Hobart Zoo, London Zoo, and Bronx Zoo) some where when I find it I'll post it.

11. ThylacineAlive

12. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Yes, I have looked at this website several times and agree it is excellent.

After reading your post I looked at the Thylacine Museum website again; the information on zoo thylacines has been considerably expanded since I last referred to it and there is a lot of fascinating data there. Very many thanks for bringing this to my attention as I hadn't realised it had been updated.

(I still think the list of thylacines in Moeller's book provides the most useful summary of zoo thylacines though.)

Last edited: 4 Nov 2012
  13. Pertinax

This site is updated with new information when it becomes available e.g. the 2010 analysis of the Fleay film to determine the 'last' Thylacine's true gender. I have learnt a great deal of new information, much of it unavailable until quite recently, from it. Having seen the sites of both the 'Beaumaris' and 'Domain' Zoo sites in Hobart, and also City Park in Launceston, I found the map of the Domain Zoo showing the locations of where the Thylacines were kept, particularly interesting, as were the similar ones for the European and US Zoos too.

The Thylacine Museum is going a long way in helping to sort out much of the innacurate information among Thylacine folklore and confusion even relating to the known evidence in photographs and films. For example I hadn't realised previously that the classic shot of a 'pair' of Thylacines, larger and smaller, standing side by side in the Hobart Zoo, and previously used by several 'authorities' including Eric Guiler, to demonstrate supposed differences between male and female, is now known to be, in fact, two males, one adult and one juvenile. Determined by dates, stripes etc. Fully adult males could certainly be big animals. And in a booklet I have also written by Guiler, he states that a photo which is obviously a 'still' from the Fleay film shows a 'female' with 'wider, longer head' when in fact we now know this was a male animal.

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I wonder if ThylacineAlive has bothered to read all of the thread yet? Anyway, just for him because he's new, here's a photo provided by an ex-member several years ago purported to be taken in an unnamed Indonesian zoo in the 1970s. I don't think it has become widely known outside these circles so he may not have seen it yet.

Attached Files:

15. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Fantastic pic. Great lighting and focus. Too good to be true?

16. DDcorvus

17. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Perhaps. But it is possible that indonesian zoos captured animals in the wild randomly, displayed them for a short while, without the scientific world knowing about it. It might be a small, unknown zoo. And it's offcourse a possibility that this was one of the last 'tassie tigers', captured in PNG, and that we just have to move the extinction date forward to the seventies instead of the thirty's.

18. ThylacineAlive

No, no I have not bothered to read all of this thread yet:D. That is the most amazing and beautiful picture I've ever seen, it must be fake. I would love nothing more then for a captive breeding population to be discovered in Indonesia but this story has everything surounding a hoax- a too-good-to-be-true photo, a date long after the extinction but not anywhere near today, an unknown author, and a relative yet almost completely unknown location. Frankly, I think that, if this were real, the Indonesian government would have allowed Australia to know about it. And what happened to the animal anyway? No clue, right. As much as I wish this where real, I can't see it happening... Unless...!! Unless this were taken at a very small, out of the way zoo that the government and outsiders had very little to do with and was mostly unknown to peopl outside of the area. Still, a lot of breeding would of had to be done for this animal to be real and I don't know if one small zoo like that could handle the job.

19. DDcorvus

Anyway the animal is real and the zoo where it is taken is not so obscure.

20. ThylacineAlive

Also, the face looks too fossa-ey to me and the picture, especially the eyes, tell me the picture is a fake. I can't really make too much of a decision on it, though, because I'd need more photos to be sure. I shot of the side of the head would certainly be enough to prove weither it is real or just a hoax. I don't know how well you knew this ex-member, but, for all we know, he could've made it himself, I can't find this picture on the internet (though that doesn't mean it's not there as this is on the internet). I doubt a small, poor Indonesia zoo could afford a nice exhibit such as the one displayed in the photo. Where's the exhibit walls anyway?