Join our zoo community

Thylacine living in zoo ?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Yoman35, 1 Sep 2007.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

explain:confused:

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

nothing was said about a captive breeding population. Indonesian zoos get a large majority of their inhabitants from the wild, and the implication is certainly that this individual was captured in New Guinea (the western half of New Guinea -- Irian Jaya -- is Indonesian territory, and lots of New Guinea wildlife passes through trading centres in Jakarta etc). The date was quite specifically stated as being in the 1970s, not today. Why should the Indonesian government have told the Australian government anything?

I am a bit confused by the "this photo is too good and therefore cannot be real" argument. Are cryptids only provable by crappy out-of-focus photos?

3. Chlidonias

and why haven't you read the whole thread yet?! I thought thylacines were one of your primary interests? :confused:

4. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

It took me 15 minutes to read the whole thing :)

5. Chlidonias

so he could spend 15 minutes reading a thread which is probably filled with interesting stuff he didn't know....or spend 15 minutes making 245 posts in other threads. Tough choice for him :D

6. Chlidonias

sorry I had to pick up on this as well. "A nice exhibit such as [this] one"? You can see maybe six foot in width and maybe twenty foot in depth, and all that is visible is something like dried leaves on the ground. How does that tell you anything about the enclosure, how it is constructed, or how much it cost? And why should the zoo be small? Some of the Indonesian zoos are bigger than many American zoos.

I must say I'm surprised at your scepticism given the comments you've made elsewhere about cryptozoology ;)

7. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The animal of the picture is real and alive when the picture was taken. And the zoo where it is taken is a well known park. You believe that Thylacine are alive and kicking, but you question a picture like this.

8. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I thought you guys were saying that the animal's ancestors were captured in Australia and brought into the Indonesian zoo world so I was saying that, if the government knew they had a supposed Extinct subspecies, should be telling the Australian government that they had it. Still, I can't see a big zoo having this animal and yet hardly anyone knows about it. Impossible. I'm not saying Indonesia has small zoos, I'm just saying that, well, what I just put in the last two sentences. This picture just seems too good to be true. What animal park was this taken in, anyway? Mabye it's the fact that someone actually got evidence of Thylacines living until, at least, the 1970's and in a zoo for that matter, but I'm finding this hard to believe. This photo could be an easy fake. I believe Thylacines are still alive, but, I believe that they're living in the rural parts of Southern Australia, Tasmania, and mabye Papua New Guinea (and perhaps the Indonesian part, too), not in the collection of a zoo (perhaps in a private collection and the person wants to keep it secret). I know this may not be the reaction you expected from me, but it's the one I'm giving you. Just because I believe the Thylacine still survives doesn't mean I have to believe every little scrap of evidence thrown at me, especially one like this which, like I've said, looks way, way, way too good to be true. In fact, I don't believe almost any of the supposed Thylacine photo evidence out there. If I did that'd be my Avatar. Most of those photos look like Red Fox with mange to me and I've never heard of white or black Thylacines. The video evidence, though, a lot of it seems legit to me, mostly the older, original ones. If you showed me a video instead of a picture, all you'd see were the words "I win" and :D:D:D:D:D:D.

That's my opinion. Not all believers believe in everything they see. Sometimes the "crappy out-of-focus" pictures are the ones that are the most believeable. The facts just don't line up for me on this one, guys. Sorry.

And I'm up to 404 posts now, Chlidonias.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2012
  9. Chlidonias

well I'm impressed ThylacineAlive. Well done. I expected more out-right belief from you, but you worked through it pretty well. It is (of course) not a photo of a living thylacine at all.

10. Chlidonias

11. DDcorvus

Very impressive indeed, although it would have been fun if he would have bought it :).

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What video evidence are you referring to here? Do you mean the b/w film clips shot before 1936, or something more recent?

13. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Yes! In fact, most cryptid spotters never even have a camera! ;)

14. Chlidonias

still, worth bringing patrick's photo back from the dead!

I wonder if this photo of mine will convince him?

Attached Files:

15. Pertinax

16. DDcorvus

OMG: Thylacines are still out there we just have been looking on the wrong island!!!

17. Pertinax

Crikey, so there really are Thylacines out there!!!

18. Chlidonias

you and your technology!! In the old days people carried a charcoal stick and a bit of parchment. If they saw something cryptic they drew a half-assed picture of it as their proof.

19. Chlidonias

I actually took that photo in Tasmania too!

20. DDcorvus

So you are sure there are no Thylacines on South Island? And that would be an intresting case for DOC: Thylacines as an invasive species .....