Join our zoo community

Tiergarten Rundbrief

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Toddy, 19 May 2008.

1. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I'm guessing only the europeans here will know what I'm talking about ;)

For those of you who don't know about it, it's a German magazine for zoo-enthusiasts. It has intresting articles about various zoos, future plans and exhibits and often a feature exhibit, such as Ganesha Mandir in Leipzig Zoo or even the new Elephant House in Copenhagen Zoo. SOmetimes they also have articles about species of animals or conservation (they had a very long and interesting article about duikers in international zoos).

The magazine is in German, and is published 3 times a year. I have had a supscription since august 2007, and have bought almost all the earlier editions in zoos in Germany.

I only need nr. 2/2004 and 3/2004. If anybody here knows how to aquire these, any info would be very helpfull.

I am just curious to know how many of the good people here at ZooBeat read this magazine?

2. Trebaruna

Trebaruna Well-Known Member

I don´t have a subscription but i have bought most magazines seperately at zoos. Sometimes the articles don´t appeal to me very much, but most magazines are very interesting.

3. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

is there an english language magazine that is for zoo enthusiast?

4. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

The Rundbrief is an excellent publication, even if it is very 'old-school' in its design and presentation... certainly it is not ever a thing of beauty. It has some excellent pieces in it, with some great photos. The new edition has just arrived, with (amongst others) lengthy articles on the new African things at Zoom (or whatever the Gelsenkirchen place - ex Ruhr Zoo - is calling itself) and the Opel Zoo.

As for English language things: International Zoo News is published eight times a year, and has a combination of feature articles, book reviews, and smaller news items. There's also a 'recent articles' section which gives a useful overview of what's appearing elsewhere. It's long established (since the 1950s) and is an essential subscription for anyone with an interest in zoos. The editor can be emailed at [email protected].

There's also Zoo Grapevine, which is put out two or three times a year by the Independent Zoo Enthusiasts Society. This is brilliant - again, if you don't get it, you should! Really enthusiastic, knowledgeable articles written by people who have a real passion for their subject. It's mainly composed of zoo reviews (zoos in Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia, for example, in the latest issue), and some up-to-date zoo news (mainly but not wholly British).

And what about zoo magazines produced by zoos themselves? Which ones do people rate? Are any of them any good? Or all they just vapid glossy things which are badly written and tell you nothing?

5. Animal

Animal Well-Known Member 15+ year member

:D I know the one who made the last 4 titel-pics *looks in a mirror*

It´s a very interesting magazine and there are many peoples who work hard for it for free. I´m proud to do there my little held among the others :)

6. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

7. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

I recieve the magazines of Burgers' Zoo (Ziezoo), Amersfoort Zoo (Maki), and Emmen Zoo (Magazzo). Amersfoort recently changed their magazine into a more or less glossy one. But it is very good, with lots of information, good articles and beautiful photos. For me it's the best magazine at this moment. Magazzo has to many typical zoo-news.

Sometimes I buy the Artis Magazine. This is also very good. I have this magazine complete from the first issue in 1954 until the early 90's.

And I recieve the magazine of the Friends of Blijdorp.

If I rate them from good (10) to bad (1) I will say:
    Maki, 9
    Artis, 8
    Ziezoo, 7
    Blijdorp (Friends), 7
    Magazzo, 6

I also recieve EAZA-News. This is a more specialized magazine but highly informative.

The best magazine is Elefanten in Zoos und Circus of the European Elephant Group. But that is because it's about elephants ;)

(another good magazine I recieve about elephants is The Elephant from the Friends of the Elephant)

8. Eagle

Eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yeah this is the best magazine ever!
    There are so interesting articles in it and its the only magazine about Zoos in Germany.
    The other magazines are all of one zoo only :(
    I don't think the design is oldschool.They could make more pics in it but then there wouldn't be so much text in it and so the magazine would be not so goog and interesting.

Here is the Link:tiergarten.com - The online-shop of Schüling Buchkurier to the Homepage(Theres a englisch version too):

9. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

There is another very good german Zoo-Magazine. It's called" Der Zoofreund" and is published by the "Friends of the ZOo Hannover". It is published four times a year and contains many good articles about the Zoo Hannover and its animals, but also there are articles about other zoos. I've written a few articles for this magazines, about okapis in german zoos, Keeping and breeding Red River hogs, The History of Giant elands in Captivty, the History of the "Roundhouse"at Frankfurt Zoo", and a few articles about duikers in zoos and about Ganesha Mandir, the new elephant house at Leipzig Zoo.
    Its a very good magazine, but it has only black and white photographs. In the June issue can be found an article about the new caribous at the zoo(the only ones in europe ), The reintroduction of Addax antelope into Tunesia, Zoo-news and"9o years-Zoological Society of San Diego zoo" with some good pictures.