Join our zoo community

Berlin Tierpark Tierpark Berlin news 2011

Discussion in 'Germany' started by kiang, 18 Mar 2011.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member

A few notes of note for the new year.

0.1 North China leopard born on 07/01/11

2.0 East African aardwolf (Proteles cristatus septentrionalis) arrived from RSCC.

2.2 Asian brown tortoise arrived from Löbbecke Museum & Aquazoo Dusseldorf.

0.0.5 Scheltopusiks from Chomutov

0.0.4 American white pelican from San Diego.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2011
  2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. Premium Member

...and bang goes the UK's European Aardwolf monopoly! :D

Nice to see some more American pellies coming in, as well.

EDIT: This does mean Tierpark Berlin have a full house of hyaenids now though, which is mighty impressive.

3. Malayan Tapir

Malayan Tapir Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that Tierpark Berlin is the only place you can actually see all 4 types of hyeana?

(Aardwolf, Brown, Striped and Spotted?)

4. Maguari

Ha, my edit crossed with your post, MT. :)

5. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member

My first thought was, what could RSCC get in return?

6. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Considering its Tierpark Berlin, its more the question of what can't they get! :D It's like for a kid to pick one thing from a toystore! :)

7. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

An affectionate statement: I love that place! I almost curse myself for not having been since 2004 but I sincerely do hope to return this year!

8. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member

The complete set! All four hyaenids!! Outstanding!! I visited both zoos separately in the same European trip last summer..funny to think that the same aardwolfs I saw at the RSCC are now probably 10 feet from where I was snapping my first brown hyena photos in Berlin..

9. Tarsius

Tarsius Well-Known Member

Yeah, some zoofreaks in another forum have squirt off after they have read the message, Berlins Species Collector has added another rare species to his"Collection".

At this another perfect example that zoofreaks are only interested to see rare species, nevertheless, how they are kept, and many animals at this Animalpark, are kept very bad.

So the aardwolfs, which have to live in this awul Big Cat Building.

Only People without any knowledge about the needs of animals,can love this place.

10. Maguari

And lo, he descended from on high to set right the ignorant rabble on the ground. (see, you're not the only one who can be sarcastic ;) )

Is it so wrong to think that having all four hyaenas in one place is good? Is it so wrong, to, y'know, like seeing animals?

You don't actually seem to like any particular zoo, so we've come to expect this kind of response, but is it necessary to bring down every thread with the doom and gloom approach?

11. Tarsius

@Maguari. No, it isn't wrong to have all three species of hyeanas and aardwolfs at the same place, if they are kept in a good way, but this ins't the case at Berlin Animal Park. Its not the right place to discus that again, but Berlin animal Park hasn't only one really good exhibit, not only one ! By the way, Berlin zoo has now left the EEP for Asian elephants.....

And of course it's wrong to collect animals like stamps, My Godness, this times are OVER. The man at Berlin isn't from this times, he lives in the past. He's building again two museums with living animals !

I know, I'm clear about that, zoofreaks loves Berlin, because they can see there so much diffrent animals, nobody of these Freaks would critise what the Man at Berlin is doing, nobody of them cares about bad welfare of so many animals at both places, so elephants, rhinos, hoofstock, big cates, to name just a few examples. And this people name themselfs a "Zoo friend", or an "Animal Friend " ? I won't. I find these Zoofreaks only disgusting.

12. Maguari

OK, that's fine and an opinion I can accept. Not sure I agree entirely as regards Berlin, but there's nothing outrageous here.

But this seems contradictory. If it's OK to have (say) all the hyaenids if they're well looked-after, why can't this apply to a larger collection?

Leaving the Berlin specifics out of it for a moment:

I can understand your aversion to the 'postage stamp' mentality, but does it really matter if the animals are well looked-after?

13. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

From what I have learned, @Maguari, is: the more diverse and large your collection is, the more difficult it becomes to look well after each and every part of it. Of course, there are noteable exceptions of the rule, but also in the best zoo, staff, time, space and most of all, money is limited, which has inevitably an effect on the quality of the husbandry, once sheer quantity overwhelms.

Seeing all species of hyena in one zoo is a great thing for zoo geeks (not so much for the common visitor, though-but that's another story). Nowadays, however, this collection aspect should also be without fail connected to a) the best husbandry conditions possible and b) the serious intention to establish each species as a self-sutainable and robust zoo population in the long run. Tarsius' objection might derive from the assumption that Tierpark Berlin might not the optimal place for that...

Last edited: 21 Mar 2011
  14. Tarsius

@ Sun Wukong Correct, I agree with you, how always...I can't say, it is really good two species have to change the same exhibit-in chnage. Half day the Ratel, half day the cats, or am,ybe the change it by day.By teh way, the keep ratel in this small cages has nothing to do with a good welfare of that species.

A few others epcies have also to share the same exhibit in change, this is typical for a old day collecting zoo....Instead to give one of the two elephant species best living conditions, thje park ha sto keep BOTH species in to smalla nd to bad enclosur4es. Instead of give the elephants more room in their giant house, he gives the visitors tforu times more space than the elphants, and whate else, he put a ridicolous small tank for mantatees inside...Yes, the man collects speies, and teh animals has to pay the price for it....The same with the Alfred Brehm house, one of the worst Big cat Houses I've ever seen...The inside and outdoor cages are a desaster, thats not the way, to keep big cats in the 21.century, thats the way, they were kept in the 19,century. But its very imporatnt, to keep three subspicies of tigers, three of leopards and more. I wonder, there is no second lion subspecies, whcih can share the lion enclosure, of course in change with the asian lions....The same with teh hyeanas, which ahd to share the exhibits, until the MAN build a new enclosure for the spotted hyeanas.

The strange , hospital like Monkey house was planend for 4 species, now it houses 5, maybe 6.....

Teh enclosures for MOUNTAIN animals lokk likes a mountain meadow for cattle, where are the rocks ? Moose are kept there like savannah animals. Came Mosoe from the Savannah ? The Keeping of rhinos is a desaster, altough they have stopped the keeping of white rhinos, but only becuase the MAN had to do this....I could continue this list a long time...

Unfortuantely, many Zoofreaks or Zoofans or whatever youw ant to call them, don'tc are about this FACTS....And there is no diffrence between german, british, austrian, or Us-Zoofreaks, they all the same...Like I said in another thread, there is a big diffrence between People,which are interested in Zoso,and the fanatic Zoofreaks.

You like both Berlin Zoos ? But why you don't ask yourself, how much the animals there have to pay for the World Biggest Animal Collection ? The best zoos are this parks, with less species, but more space and better welfare for them....But I agree with you in the case, that the animal inventoriey of much zoos are very similar now, I critise this also, it would be much better, there were a bigger diffrence between the species inventories....

Its not necessry for every zoo in germany to keep and breed elephants, but they do it, to get more money in....Allt he antelopes are gone now for elephants and gorillas....

It would be a good option for the Berlin animal Park, to concnetarte on Hoofstock, keeping them in much better enclosures and keep only a few other animals, and i'm sure, after the AN ha sretired, a much younger guy will do that...Who of the common vistors is interested to see all three subspeice sof takin ? Nobody ! Nobody compares the three subspeices of zebars, and whats worse, the MAN has so much space at the Animal Park, but he is not keeping bachlor groups of equids, antelopes, elephants, or deer, whcih is very important for the population. He is defenitely the wrong man in a wrong position...

15. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

Does this mean that the Tierpark now has 7 out of the 8 species of pelican? I seem to remember they had quite a few different species when we last visited.

16. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member

more news

0.0.2 red crowned crane hatched and being parent reared
    1.0 golden takin born called "Shaolin", a first breeding in a German zoo.
    1.0 black lemur born

The 1958 spectacled bear enclosure has been redeveloped

Zootiereliste is listing the Tierpark as having a group of Marco Polo sheep (Ovis ammon polii), imported from the Moscow zoo's breeding station.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2011
  17. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member

18. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Pleased to see that they seem to be giving them a proper exhibit and that the one in the Alfred Brehm House was just temporary.

19. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

And quite active too! I visited just over two weeks ago and an aardwolf posed quite nicely for some photos. I'll add some photos to the gallery when I get back.

20. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member

0.1 Indian rhino born 31/7 to "Betty"
    0.1 Poitou donkey born
    1.0 Rothschild's giraffe born 18/7