Join our zoo community

Berlin Tierpark Tierpark Berlin News 2017

Discussion in 'Germany' started by vogelcommando, 26 Apr 2017.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

After the German first-breeding last year - with the young dying after an accident, now again a Collared lemur has been born at Tierpark Berlin. Hopefully this young will do better :) !

2. vogelcommando

Some intresting births at Tierpark Berlin :
    - 2 Chaco pecari-piglets
    - 1 East-chinese tuffted deer

3. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If my German is correct, Zoofreude mentions a gerenuk birth this year.
    Can't seem to find a lot of information about this.
    Anyone heared more?

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, that info is correct. Calf born April 2017!

5. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Is this way I missed them in April?

6. Joker1706

Joker1706 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Unfortunately, the 2nd Collared Lemur offspring also died...

7. vogelcommando

Gerenuk-calf was born already in March and is a female :).

zooboy28, Coelacanth18 and kiang like this.
  8. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Koklass pheasant, Abdim's & yellow billed stork hatched.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photos FB

9. drill

drill Well-Known Member

According to ZTL, this zoo now has Bawean Deer.

10. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know if the Tierpark truly keeps Dongola (small-spotted) genets? If so where are they kept at the zoo? They are listed on ztl as having arrived from Wingst Zoo in 2016 but I can only find pictures and mentions of non-subspecific European genets (which also arrived from Wingst Zoo to add more confusion!)

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

As I understand the situation, they hold a single individual of proven Arabian origin and another individual whose status is unknown, hence a total of 1,1 Genetta genetta.

Mehdi likes this.
  12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes - from Wroclaw

13. Mehdi

14. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Apologies - I did mean Poznan :oops:

Mehdi likes this.
  15. Kifaru Bwana

Precisely.

The Bawean deer at Tierpark are 1.1+ calf.

16. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

4 Somali wild ass foals in the last week :)

Tim May and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  17. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I've put two pictures in the gallery of the signs outside the AB House redevelopment. Some of the external cages have been removed but two thirds are still in place.

The bad news: the new concept art shows the undismantled cages remaining as part of the redevelopment. There will be bigger enclosures at the wide end of the house but in general this, if correct, is a far less ambitious project than the concept art we saw last year suggested.

Some people were angry that such a historic building was getting heavy moderation. Others were delighted at the thought of seeing the back of those dreadful cages. By going for a half and half approach the Tierpark will annoy both parties. It's as if they are snatching defeat from the jaws of defeat.

Usually zoos combat criticism of outdated exhibits, with varying levels of legitimacy, by saying they will be renovated or replaced in due course, but that it is simply impossible to do everything at once. This project will be the second time in five years that the ABH has had extensive work done to it. If those cages do remain in place it will be a decision the Tierpark has to own completely. How I feel about that personally will depend on what they put in them, but they will always look terrible in my eyes.

Last edited: 25 Jul 2017
  18. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was at the Tierpark a few weeks ago, and have to say that over all it was an amazing place where I saw species for the first time in decades or first time ever.

But certain things disturbed me a little. One of which was the contrasts even within the AB house. I thought the indoor Amur tiger exhibit was amazing, the rest of the inside ok, but was then presented with Javan Leopards and a Sumatran tiger in outdoor cages that would just about suit a Binturong or Leopard cat! Why they don't just have a couple of large enclosures extending outwards too along one side & 3 or 4 smaller cages to the other side for the binturongs, Serval etc defeats me! I didn't see the signs you've posted photos of which indicate the sun bears will be moving there too. Their current enclosure is awful, but not sure the new one will be much better! In a zoo of this size it's inexcusable for large carnivores to be kept in mid 20th century cages whilst for some reason birds of prey have the biggest enclosures you will find anywhere! The director clearly has a liking for these birds, highlighted by the fact that a just about adequate snow leopard cage is right next to an enormous vulture aviary probably 10 times the size! Almost every eagle aviary I saw was 5 times the size of the cages the Leopard or Sumatran tiger were in! Most of the aviaries looked relatively new too!

I still left Tierpark thinking it was great but those cat cages & the sun bears took the gloss off a bit!

I could also extend this criticism to Zoo Berlin, which had several very large aviaries, but possibly the worst gibbon cage I've seen in decades!

Last edited: 25 Jul 2017
  19. Kifaru Bwana

Okay, pause: the Alfred Brehm Haus has listed building status (which explains why the new - second - renovation is stalling and they just cannot do whatever has been thrown up in newest designs). This goes for several other iconic buildings in Tierpark too and more or less Council / Municipality have the say all over whatever goes in Tierpark, and this includes the meagre financial resources for a zoo of its size and stature.

The situation in Berlin Zoo is even more diffuse with also a number of listed and iconic buildings. Fortunately here, due to the fact that there is a good number of Berliners financial interests in the zoo itself they are part and parcel of decision making process on new developments and the Council does not have power of place (which more or less makes it much easier to initiate and complete projects on time and with a dearth of financial resources too).

20. Mehdi

@pipaluk , @FunkyGibbon Were the Central-American margays still kept in the Alfred-Brehm House (I doubt it) or elsewhere in the Tierpark?