Join our zoo community

Berlin Tierpark Tierpark Berlin News 2019

Discussion in 'Germany' started by markmeier, 25 Jan 2019.

1. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The situation seems to have changed again....

I'm now going to Prague as well as the Tierpark, so....YAY!

Neva likes this.
  2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In the meantime 2 more Golden takins have been born at Tierpark Berlin :).

3. markmeier

markmeier Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This sums it up rather well. As has been pointed out, the building is also listed which added a lot of stress/ work/ delay and (as with the new Berlin airport) there also have been adaptations to fire safety regulations which also had to be incorporated. The good news is, by now planning finally is over and construction is well on its way. Some of the outside enclosures could even be finished by Summer 2019. This is the more or less current situation and what we all can look forward to:

Javanese Leopard Outdoor Enclosure - May 2019 (The Clouded Leopards will receive an identical one):
    [​IMG]
    Copyright: Tierpark Berlin

Sumatran Tiger Indoor Enclosure - December 2018:

[​IMG]

Sumatran Tiger Indoor Enclosure - Update from February 2019:

Sumatran Tiger Completed Indoor Enclosure - Draft:
    [​IMG]

Sunbear Indoor Enclosure - February 2019

Sunbears Outdoor Enclosure - May 2019:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Copyright: W. Dreier - Schuelingforum (with kind permission)

Sunbears Completed Indoor and Outdoor Enclosure - Draft:
    [​IMG]

Copyright: W. Dreier - Schuelingforum (with kind permission)

Tropical Hall - Construction Works in April and May 2019:

In the meantime, it is possible to see some of the cats, including Sumatran Tigers, if they come outside.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2019
    Vision, Brum, sooty mangabey and 7 others like this.
  4. markmeier

And you are not the only one. Apparantly, ever since Hertha's first steps through her outdoor enclosure in Tierpark Berlin back in March the number of visitors has about doubled in the following months - even though 2018 already was a very good year (the best one in recent history) with almost 1.5 Mio visitors. So if the dynamic doesn't drop too much, Tierpark Berlin could have more than 2 Mio visitors this year!

The impact is even stronger on social media. By now the Facebook page of Tierpark Berlin has outperformed the respective page of Zoo Berlin by several thousand followers and ranks 2nd in Germany now - tracing only Leipzig. And the actual responses are stronger than ever before on this page (or on any other official German zoo page on Facebook as far as I know). The following video featuring highlights of Hertha's first months has received more than 1.3 mio views, 80,000 likes and more than 14,000 shares on Facebook:

But I think this is as high as attention will get. As Hertha grows bigger and bigger, things will eventually settle down. Nevertheless, 2019 will always remain a very special year for Tierpark Berlin:
    -The year that finally saw a polar bear cub grow up to be presented to a city still crazy about polar bears
    -The year the Brehm building finally made visible progress
    -Another year with great births (particularly 3 gold takins)

Last edited: 3 Jun 2019
  5. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Apart from Sumantran Tigers what else can be viewed?

6. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

And what about Asiatic golden cat - has Tierpark resigned from them? (Instead - clouded leopards?) I thought that this species was included (at new ABH House) at the beginning.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  7. markmeier

And

I should have included the overview again, as this basically answers both questions:

[​IMG]
    Copyright Tierpark Berlin

@longleat diego:
    As the outside boxes have been torn out, this partially will depend on the progress in constructing the new outside enclosures. A save bet are species not effected by construction:
    -Sumatran Tigers and Malayan Tigers in the 'Tiger court' (original plans for one large enclosure replacing the entire court area had to be dropped due to the listing of the building). Having said that, I'm not sure, if the separate enclosures will undergo minor remodelling.
    -The same goes for the Cheetahs, as their enclosure near the Brehm building will also be remodelled.
    -I'm not sure about the Palawan Leopard Cats.
    -The Snow Leopards should not be effected by any of this, though.
    -In the meantime, the new outside enclosures will be finished, so Javanese Leopards, Clouded Leopards and Binturongs will return on display by and by besides new arrivals like Asiatic Golden Cats, Sunbears and Goodfellow's tree kangaroos.

@Neva: As the picture shows, the future Brehm building will display both Clouded Leopards and Asiatic Golden Cats. The Golden Cats will receive smaller enclosures than Clouded Leopards and Javanese Leopards, though. In fact, they will receive remodelled boxes of the present/ former size.

By the way: There will also be additional outside boxes of the same kind behind the scenes (i.e. behind thick layers of bamboo plants). In the picture above you can see three of them on the 'left' wing and two on the 'right' wing of Brehm building.

And some good news, which shouldn't be forgotten: The tropical hall in the center of the building not only will present False Gharials, Megabats/ Flying Foxes and various Birds as well as Reptiles, Amphibians and Insects/ Invertebrates (the latter three groups will also have small exhibits around the halls). Apparently, there also will be an enclosure for Bear Cuscus. Quite likely the Sumatran Masked Palm Civets also will find a place somewhere in the building.

Nisha, DesertRhino150, Neva and 9 others like this.
  8. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is the plan still in place for Komodo dragons as well, or have they been dropped for some reason?

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No, I think that got dropped. I would expect some smaller Asian monitor lizard species instead. Plenty of interesting ones about ....

Brum likes this.
  10. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some Bornean earless monitors would be really nice...

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  11. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Thank you for these updates, @markmeier - it’s great to see that progress is being made.

I very much hope that some of the small elements of the house that have previously given it its character will remain - the bust of Mr Dathe, the Tarsier on the bannisters leading to the first floor (a small statue, not a real one), the stained-glass windows....

pipaluk, Tim May and markmeier like this.
  12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was more thinking along the lines of blue-spotted monitor (Varanus macraei) or emerald tree monitor (Varanus prasinus) and various assorted SE Asian lizard, frog and turtle and tortoise species.

13. markmeier

Yes, the Komodo Dragons got dropped. There will be a number of smaller enclosures for various South-East-Asian reptiles, ambhibians and invertebrates, though. Unfortunately, so far there is hardly any information about (sub)species apart from King Cobra and some kind of South-East-Asian Ants.

By the way: I just noticed that Clouded Leopards and Javanese Leopards are NOT going to receive identical enclosures. I was mistaken, because both have identical amounts of fences. But the respective shape of each enclosure still seems to be quite different.

Neva likes this.
  14. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I'd just like to thank @markmeier for the astonishingly high quality and consistency of his posts.

15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

We can only hope, although given the fact there has been a steady and noticeable policy of removing a lot of the statues and other artwork dotted around Tierpark (and Zoo) in recent years...... :rolleyes:

16. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

@markmeier Thank you very much! I feel really glad that Asiatic golden cat wouldn't be given up and remains in the plan.

ThylacineAlive and pipaluk like this.
  17. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

That's very sad; what statues have been removed recently?

My favourites Berlin statues are:-
    • the famous gorilla "Bobby" (Zoo)
    • the famous hippopotamus "Knautschke" (Zoo)
    • the musk-ox group (Tierpark)
    I hope these remain on show.....

18. TeaLovingDave

It is probably best for @markmeier to field this question, and to give a complete list, given he visits the collection more regularly than any of the rest of us :p but judging from recent comments on Zoofreunde, among the most recently-removed are a faun fountain at Zoo, previously near the deer exhibits, and a panther statue at Tierpark formerly located next to the ABH. One of the other notable losses is the mosaic map of Tierpark which was previously located next to the main entrance.

markmeier likes this.
  19. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for your response. I'm sorry to learn that the Tierpark's mosaic map has "disappeared".

There used to be a special guidebook describing the zoo's statues; I hope that most of the statues will remain.

20. TeaLovingDave

Indeed; I own a copy of the editions for both Zoo and Tierpark :)