Join our zoo community

Berlin Tierpark Tierpark Berlin News 2019

Discussion in 'Germany' started by markmeier, 25 Jan 2019.

1. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

This sounds very impressive, but I am left wondering about the wisdom of spending such an amount - if that figure is correct - renovating what is, essentially, a rather unattractive building (and furthermore one which may very well have been built a little “shakily” - although I appreciate I am possibly falling prey to prejudice about communist-era building practices).

I cannot find a figure for the cost of building Cologne Zoo’s Elephant House, and I fully appreciate that this was built nearly 20 years ago, in a different city, under different circumstances, but I cannot believe that the cost was this high, even accounting for inflation.

StoppableSan and markmeier like this.
  2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Intuitively this feels wrong, I would never have said this building was bigger than Koln's, amongst others (Emmen, Zurich?). The paddocks also look, um, not as big as the Tierpark might be able to offer.

3. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I enjoyed the Tierpark on Sunday and despite the closed section, one day was still not enough. Only visible animals in ABH zone are the Snow leopards, Amur tigers and the four Sumatran tiger cubs whit their mother.

The Cubs and the young Polar bear Herta are the stars here and real pleasure to observe.

There is of course a lot more offspring, especially among ungulates, for which
    man needs probably one day to deal with. Some unique species like Marco Polo sheep, Mountain Reedbuck or Bawean deer, could justify visit alone. Personally used a lot of time exploring the Cervid collection and started to realize, that the second visits are much more enjoyable, since you are not so rushed.

I still do not get it, what is planed with Giraffes in Berlin. The Zoo has only one male Reticulated and one male Rothschild, correct ? Is the Tierpark planing to host only Rothschild giraffes?

There is slight changes in the mountain zone since last year. There are Bharals and Markhors in the former Chamois enclosure and Chinese Dholes on the way to Manul exhibit. I am not sure, why the Snow Leopard is not here, but may be it will be in the new Himalaya zone.

There is no secret, that they are emptying Elephant building.
    The Tamandua also left and live in the Primate house now in mixed exhibit with Silvery Marmoset.

I have noticed another interesting mixed exhibit here. Red howler monkey, White-faced Saki, Azara aguti and lowland Paca. Could not see the Paca, but the other 3 species were very active during the day.

There are Serval and Common Genet in the exhibits, between the Polar Bear and ABH next to the Collared Mangabey, that used to house Palm Civet, I think. I realized, that year ago I have seen the last Malay Civet in Europe in ABH, which was sad conclusion.

A lot of information is shown around the park for future master plan and I am looking forward to come back next year and wouldn't be surprised, if the Tierpark will turn in to the first 3-day zoo in the World .

Berlin city will attract a lot Zoochaters next summer and this could be a great reason to meet together for a beer.
    Cheers.

4. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Have the chamois left?

5. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They were at least off-show. ZTL says: Besuch 10/2019 nicht gesehen und nicht ausgeschildert.

AthleticBinturong likes this.
  6. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Apparently the remaining chamois have been sent to Potzberg Wildpark, and Tierpark no longer holds the species.

7. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Shame as they’re a rather nice species

8. markmeier

markmeier Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Speaking of removing animals: According to a reliable report in a German zoo forum, the group of tule elks has been send to the Czech republic today.

9. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Plzen?

~Thylo

10. janfc1948

janfc1948 Member

When talking about all the plans for renovation of the elephant house, I ask myself, if somebody knows if the manatees will stay at Tierpark Berlin?

11. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They won't, the last two animals should move to Spain.

janfc1948 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  12. markmeier

There are plans to keep manatees again in the future (inside the South America complex). But it will take quite some years, if these plans can be realised at all.

13. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Damn, the collection gets smaller every year.:mad::mad::mad:

14. markmeier

So far this is correct. The collection kind of gets dwarfed, even in more than one way. It just needs a close look at the latest arrival:

;)

But I hope that we are going to hit the low point rather soon, whereafter some nice additions should follow. The Brehm building will feature a number of interesting new species (apart from the ants) as well as improved exhibits for existing ones. There also will be new species in other areas of the park. Until then our patience will be tested...

15. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I feel so Happy for the manatees-at last, they will released from their tiny tank, and of course for the Indian Rhinos.

StoppableSan likes this.
  16. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes, confirmed on Plzen's facebook.

17. markmeier

A German newspaper features an article on the Brehm building with some fresh pictures
    So sieht der neue Dschungel von Friedrichsfelde aus

The Tierpark administration had a lot of trouble with regulations in the process, as the building is listed. This led to both delay and less ambitious changes. The good news: Mr Knieriem hopes to reopen the whole building by Easter 2020, when the actual season starts.

StoppableSan, Jogy and twilighter like this.
  18. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Follow up on this from Plzen's website: From Berlin arrived 3,3 group so Plzen is now on 5,3 and is apparently the only zoo where they remain. Zootierliste lists them in Wildpark Leipzig and Game reserve in Gryfow Slaski in Poland.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Gelada born at the Tierpark :).

20. markmeier

According to information from a reliable German zoo forum user, the two manatees (2,0) were picked up from the pachydermy building today. So the Tierpark is down another species...