Join our zoo community

Berlin Tierpark Tierpark Berlin news 2022

Discussion in 'Germany' started by markmeier, 4 Jan 2022.

1. markmeier

markmeier Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They finally uploaded the video with the snow leopard on their own platforms:

I also like this picture:
    [​IMG]
    Picture: Tierpark Berlin

Other than that some new offspring:

And some fresh enrichment:

2. markmeier

3. markmeier

And another cat returned to their new old enclosure in the "Himalaya" area:

[​IMG]
    Picture: Tierpark Berlin

At the same time, the park sees more and more construction going on (besides Himalaya this mainly concerns Africa).

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just one animal? I thought they held a pair?

5. markmeier

They do. The male is still behind the scenes. Apparently, it was sick and they now first let him fully recover.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

7. markmeier

Maned wolves were born in the for the first time in about 20 years. In total, there are 2.1 cubs. On the Facebook page of the park there is also a video about it.

Apart from that, the park has been hit by a series of storms. More than 20 of the old trees as well as some of the fences at the building sites have fallen.

JoJo22, Kifaru Bwana, Fallax and 3 others like this.
  8. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is there a lot of damage?

9. markmeier

Apparently, it's mainly the (old) trees. Fortunately, the usually make good use of the wood.

AthleticBinturong likes this.
  10. markmeier

Not so many news in recent days. It seems like Berlin Zoos mainly focus on supporting Kyiv Zoo for the time being (all of the most recent releases give updates on the situation in Ukraine and ask for donations - so far they handed over some 30,000 Euro). Initially, this strong coverage surprised me. But then I had to remember what Berlin Zoo looked like after the war (only that unlike Germany, Ukraine did not start this). Also, thousands of Ukrainian refugees arrive at Berlin central station every day now (it's the main connection from Poland). Our director Andreas Knieriem also reflected on the situation, when he presented the Carnivore Building in Berlin Zoo (which wasn't much of a celebration either).

But I still took some interest in the very brief overview on 2021 which they did slip in:
    - Berlin Tierpark had 1,265,569 visitors (2020: 1,220,166), so they did slightly better than in 2020.
    - At the end of 2021, the park kept 6,380 animals in 645 species (2020: 7,874 animals in 634 species)
    --> So the number of animals has dropped (-1,500), whereas the number of species has risen (+11)
    Just out of curiosity, I also compared the number of animals and species which the park had, before the new director took over 8 years ago in 2014 - and then I looked back another 8 years:
    2005: 9,278 animals/ 1,034 species
    2013: 7,250/ 846 (-2,028/ -154)
    2021: 6,380/ 645 (-870/ -201)
    So in a way, the dynamic hasn't even changed THAT much since the new director was put in charge.

Also, German Schueling forum reports that Golden Takins and Sechuan Takins presumably have moved to the mountain area now aka "Himalaya Zone". The park also indicated that this zone will be open early in April just before the main season of the year begins.

11. AthleticBinturong

1500 animals in a year does seem like a lot. Where were the bulk of these?

12. markmeier

They did not specify these numbers, so I'd have to guess. But there have been very strong movements before and it's usually down to smaller animals (there were times, when they reported more than 10,000 animals because they counted newly arrived Neon Tetras for a large water tank).

13. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

14. markmeier

I'm a bit surprised. They just handed 1,1 Red Pandas over to Berlin Zoo and now they received 1,1 again. So I guess they will breed with more than just one pair. I just wonder, if they will keep all of them up in the Himalaya area or if they will still have some in other parts of the park.

15. PossumRoach

If I recall correctly, Jian and Tara are 0.2. Even if they are 1.1 breeding wouldn’t happen before one of them anytime sooner since they are siblings.

Kifaru Bwana and markmeier like this.
  16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How genetically valuable are these 2?

17. PossumRoach

To be fair I do not know. Faruk Yalçın was sent 0.2, 0.1, and 1.0 on three different occasions and only the first two animals have a clear origin. What doesn’t help is that 2 females were sent to Bursa and so far I couldn’t find which one stayed at Darıca. Not to mention the zoo is not clear about which zoos the male and the second female to arrive are from. The first two females were from Copenhagen.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. markmeier

Today a short, cold visit. To my surprise, it was quite crowded throughout the park.

Peeking through the fences around the Himalaya area (as I always do, when I get the chance), I even spotted the director's family with their dog. So apparently, they also had a look around and I felt a bit jealous. But even from my less privileged perspective, I could see that various rocks, plants and wooden elements such as suspension bridges have been inserted. They seem to be more focussed on the finishing touches now. So they may well achieve the deadline in early April.

At the other construction sites (for the elephant building, savannah and Asian exhibit), I saw a lot of heavy equipment but otherwise no significant changes.

In terms of animals, it was quite a productive round. It was the first time I could spot forest reindeer, one of the wildebeests as well as the Guyana Red-Backed Bearded Sakis. I also saw a Masked Palm Civet and one Sifaka. The houses were kind of crowded, however, so I did not stay there for long.

19. AthleticBinturong

Any hope of the other sites opening up this year? I’m thinking about planning a visit.

20. markmeier

I'm not so sure. It seems a bit like they finish Himalaya first (apparently, a lot of people work up there right now), before the other parts pick up. But the original plan was to start both Savannah and new Asia Exhibit early in 2022 (which they kind of did) and to present them sometime later this same year. My gut feeling says it could be too ambitious, even though you can tell they started working on everything. If you want to see as much as possible, Summer 2023 would be the safer bet (but don't count on elephants, even if the current schedule does say 2023 for them).