Join our zoo community

Berlin Tierpark Tierpark Berlin news

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Nisha, 4 Feb 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

What about the Checkered Elephant Shrew, is it on exhibit now ? It is almost since a year at the Tierpark behind the scenes.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

To my knowledge it is still offshow and no longer planned to go onshow - the empty display case which was erected in the ABH and assumed by many to have been intended for this species was removed shortly after the new director arrived.

3. Bib Fortuna

Thank you.Maybe it is the better option for the animal-I know how small these glass displays are-defentiely too small for this speices.maybe this could be the reason, why the don't take it on show.On the other side-why they take it ? Just for collecting reasons, I guess. But these times are over.

4. TeaLovingDave

It was a significantly larger display case than the ones found in the elephant house, assuming those are the ones you have in mind - maybe three or four times the size?

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2.2 Chacoan Peccary went to Wroclaw - the other pair (1.1 also) have gone to Jihlava

6. TeaLovingDave

This leaves Tierpark Berlin with - I believe - 4,5,5 animals.

7. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nice to see this species spreading out a bit, if they keep breeding at this rate then maybe they'll be gracing our shores sooner rather than later.

8. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I would think its only a matter of time!

9. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd like to think so but it's not like UK collections have been big on Peccaries in recent years.

10. markmeier

markmeier Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The old rabbit boxes are history (that is they are empty now). The new rabbit enclosure is almost finished and seems to be quite decent.

11. markmeier

Next year the Tierpark will turn 60 years old. And 2015 is going to be a rather special year for the future of the park as well. The 5 mio program will be implemented which will bring major changes for the most famous building in the park, the Alfred-Brehm-building. And as I just learned the supporters of the park are going to collect 475.000 Euro for a new sun bear building/ enclosure. As far as I know, the sun bears are going to live right next to the Brehm-building then.

Besides that there are discussions about selling parts of the park and build apartments there. The money likely would be used to remove dirty sand and old rubbish and for new infrastructure for the staff. These plans are being discussed rather controversially. There is also discussion on presumed plans of the new director to reduce the number of animals, particularly birds and reptiles.

And 0,1 manatee left the park some days ago. Also, the female giraffe that came from the zoo has died/ needed to be put down as a result of an accident.

12. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks markmeier for the update! It certainly sounds an interesting time for the tierpark! It will be interesting to see what will happen to the collection long term! Have there been any comments on which carnivores will remain?

Which land will be sold?

Any talk of any changes or improvements to the zoo or will the tierpark be the new directors main focus?

13. Taisha

Taisha Well-Known Member

Some clarifications:
    A part of the Tierpark, never inhabited by animals though, was used as waste dump for the past twenty years (or more?), even last autumn huge amounts of dangerously contaminated sand were still brought in from outside. Apparently the ex-director wanted to use some of it as filling for enclosures. The estimate is that the removal will cost around 2.4 million €. Legal actions against the firms concerned and the director have been started. As the Tierpark is broke, they are considering to sell this part and by doing so, to save the costs for transporting the vaste away.

I am sure there will be changes and improvements in the Zoo sooner or later, but the problems around the Tierpark are just too many right now.

14. markmeier

Some (much/ most?) of the waste definitely pre-existed Blaszkiewitz, though. The sand brought to the park in recent months is not really "dangerous" by the way, but it does contain a higher concentration of certain substances than was claimed by the company that delivered it. So it cannot be used the way intended and some (most/ all?) of it Needs to be removed again. The accounts still differ vastly as to how much sand needs to be removed, how much this will cost and who is to pay for it (one article even mentions that the Tierpark itself may not have to pay at all). So if land is to be sold, this should hopefully bring in considerably more money than is needed to remove the waste. But on the other hand, the Tierpark also wouldn't get all the money as the ground is property of the city (whereas contracts allow the TP to use it all for at least another 90-ish years). So there's still many "ifs" about that...

As to the zoo: Well there is going to be an official plan for further projects and developments as well. I don't know when it will be released though (the one for the Tierpark was to be released this month which is going to be postponed to February 2015). I believe the zoo also will see some reduction of species as well as restructuring/ extending of inside and outside enclosures (e.g. of carnivores and monkeys/ apes).

15. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Gerenuk born!!!

17. Bib Fortuna

Congrates to Berlin-Species saved for europe.But what, if it is a MALE ?

18. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Bib, you know as much as anyone that TP Berlin isn't going to save this species alone, they will have to keep working together with AZA zoos to eventually get this species established in Europe (and I think there would be enough zoos interested if this species would become available on a larger scale).

BTW this is the first European breeding for this specific subspecies.

19. TeaLovingDave

Hehe, and I think you know as much as anyone that Bib was being very sarcastic :p I do hope that they work with AZA zoos to bring in more individuals to make available to other European collections.... but I suspect that Kniereim is not going to be interested at all in doing so :(

20. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I do indeed know that, but there is more and more truth in his posts ;)

Further I would not be so negative about Knieriem. He hasn't had yet much time to do stuff and the great curators are still in charge.... First see and then judge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.