Join our zoo community

Berlin Tierpark Tierpark Berlin news

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Nisha, 4 Feb 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markmeier

markmeier Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is a male by the way...

2. Skyrian Horse

Skyrian Horse Member

Last Brown Hyena (Hyaena brunnea) left the Tierpark for Opel Zoo. The dismantling of a great collection continues... :-(

3. markmeier

Well, the female died and there is hardly any of this species left in Europe. So they try to breed them in Frankfurt where they still have a female one. The way it was posted in another Forum it sounded like the male one may come back afterwards. I hope they will succeed.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Rest assured that the TB senior curatorial staff is really in charge here, and have the contacts fundamental to both execute first imports and ensure that eventually a well established population of gerenuk may become established in Europe.

Let us not denounce a very commendable effort by a Central European zoo establishment make these efforts. And for the record: it is not the first time TB has been at the forefront of establishing species in Europe for which no populations existed. Something to acknowledge by all readers here and to be appreciated for what it is.

5. Skyrian Horse

Skyrian Horse Member

Hopefully :)

6. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

The worlds, european and german first breeding holds the Frankfurt Zoo and already happend in 1957.

I never heared about any plans to bring in more gerenuks to europe, and, like Thylo already said, the current Zoo director isn't interested in any imports of new ungulate species to europe. So I don't belive in a new population of gerenuks in europe, and the import of them was, from my point of view senseless and unnessary. Another european zoo has recently imported three new males of Lesser Kudu to get new blood into the european, inbred population-this was a really neccessary, senseful and very important thing.Anyway-good luck to Berlin with the gerenuks, and hopefully, the young grows up.I'm curious, if the mother will do the job by herself, because the the gerenuks at the park are handraised.( as far as I know-I think, many Us-Holders doing that now)

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'm TLD, not Thylo ;) you can tell the difference by the fact I'm the handsome English one who you have met, and he is the lanky American one you have not met!

8. Bib Fortuna

Oh,I'm so Sorry,my Fault, I'm getting older and older....;)

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I think the current animals are L. w. walleri and the previous breeding animals (at Frankfurt) were L. w. sclateri. Is that correct?

10. Bib Fortuna

Thats correct, but nevertheless, Frankfurt holds the World First Breeding of the Species.But the breeding wasn't succesful, it was completly inbred( Gerenuks are for Inbreeding extremly sensivitve animals) and the last gerenuk born in europe was born at Frankfurt in 1966.So almost 50 Years ago! Since 1975 the zoo kept only a male, which passed away in 1979.

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bat Eared Fox have replaced the Brown Hyena

12. Bib Fortuna

It seems, you're right. This is a part of a newspaper article about the calf, and because of a city partnership between L.A.and Berlin, I bet, the tierpark will get more gerenuks from there, if the only female should die. Welll, nevertheless, we have to wait a couple of years to judge the situation of gerenuks in europe....but without more animals and more zoos keeping them, I'm not very optimistic...:( :see what happend to the yellow backed duikers....same situation....

he primiparous mother fed her baby, according to zoo well. But yet both remain in the stable. Only when the temperatures are continuously increased to more than 16 degrees Celsius, the zoo visitors Tayo and the other gazelles could be observed on the grounds. "Our common, long-term goal is to establish the existence of this unique in build and behavior gazelle in Europe. Tayo is the first important step in this direction, "the zoo and zoo director said yet. So it wait huge duties on the small Tayo.

13. markmeier

According to some entries in German zoo forums, the EAZA plans to start breeding a number of gazella including Gerenuks! So there definitely should be more animals in Europe soon. Of course they will have to take the capacities from somewhere, though...

By the way: The last remaining fishing cat left the Tierpark to Nuremberg. Also, the Elephant Shrew left to Pilsen. And the last two wolves died recently. So there probably will be more changes soon. The vacant enclosures will come in handy, as the boxes in- and outside the Brehm building will be remodelled for some 5 mio € rather soon. Even the sun bears will finally receive a new enclosure then. Most bad/ unattractive enclosures will be history soon. The boxes in and outside the monkey building also have been and continue to be remodelled. Some of the large green fences have been covered with small stems and some of the lower ones (the ones to keep visitors away) have been removed or replaced as well.

Other than that, Knieriem just unveiled a new free-of-charge visitor's train which complements the old one (4€/ 2€). It looks very attractive and is equipped with heating and AC. But it only goes a comparatively small round, missing all major buildings as well as the mountain area. Still it definitely is an additional attraction/ service. The same goes for the new signposts and area maps that have been introduced. Or the extension of the pre-existing playing ground and the construction of a new playing one as well as the remodelling of the large old open air show arena which will all start soon.

Oh, and the sand can indeed be used for landscape construction (hill areas). Newest results show that the contamination is nowhere as dramatic as earlier reports speculated. Of course, this will still mean additional investments, but it may also still improve the beautiful array of different landscapes (old forest, mountain zoo, open paddocks, castle grounds) found in the park. I am hopeful for the future. It mainly depends on the funding now. And of course everybody waits for the new plan to be released soon (it apparantly comprises some 180 pages and is virtually finished, though it still goes through some Revision/ modification)...

14. Bib Fortuna

Why they have send the Elephant shrew to Pilsen ? I guess, they couldn't get a second one, and it wasn't visable to the visitors anyway? Damn-so I have to go Czech again just to see that little guy...

15. markmeier

You are right. The elephant shrew indeed never was displayed for the public. The glas box that supposingly was installed for them in the Brehm-Building (just barely before Blaszkiewitz left) has never received any "furniture". It rather was removed some weeks after Knieriem took position. So no regular visitor ever saw the little fellow, as far as I know. In fact, I often went to the glas box before it was removed and even after that I kept a slight glimpse of hope till the end that they may find a new accomodation elsewhere. Of course, we can only speculate about the reasons for this transfer. You might be right about the breeding, but it could also be because of the changed plans for the Brehm-Building and Knieriem's overall priorities.

16. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Markmeir,

Thanks again for such interesting news, I love these posts! Has there been any mention of any up-coming changes or developments? Any news of what cat species will stay?

17. markmeier

@Al: Well, I do know some first details about the Brehm-building (but I'm not sure if I wrote this before). The Sumatra tigers and the Javanese leopards are going to stay for as far as I know and the sun bears probably will live in a seperate building close to the Brehm-builing. Other than that Knieriem announced that the entire Brehm-building is to receive the theme "South-East-Asian Islands". It will contain fewer and far more spacious enclosures than before. So species from Africa, South America or temperate areas of Asia are bound to leave the building (or the Tierpark altogether). As the carnivore building of the zoo is to be restructured along similar lines, there definitely will be a substantial reduction of species. The indoor boxes will not be visible as far as I am aware. And rather than bird aviaries, there will be glass boxes for reptiles. Similarly, the Tropical hall is to receive Comodo dragons and crocodiles, which may come at the expense of tropical birds and flying foxes.

I also heard some first small details about the new plans for the other areas. The former eagle aviary at the main entrance of the park is to be remodelled for prairie dogs and new world porcupines. This whole section will contain animals from North America. Most of the area which is now inhabited by African animals, will continue to do so. There also will be an area for South American animals, including a large bird aviary (probably a walk-through-enclosure). So far, I don't know if there are going to be sections for Australian or European animals or the polar regions. The full plan probably is to be released by June.

18. Bib Fortuna

Is the Tierpark still keeping the honey badgers in change with caracals in the outdoor cage ? I ask, because I have a little bit of hope they stopped this nonsens after the arrvial of the female ratel, especially under the new leadership...

19. markmeier

I have never heard anything of this shared enclosure. I always saw the caracals at the very first outside enclosure, the honey badgers, civets and banded mongooses (each in a separate enclosure) behind that.

20. Bib Fortuna

They did, but it seems, they stopped it now. So the ratels share one these small cages ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.