Join our zoo community

Berlin Tierpark Tierpark Berlin news

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Nisha, 4 Feb 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7 Asian wild dogs born at Tierpark Berlin :).

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Most likely the Amur Tiger cubs returning from Eberswalde

4. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

As far as I know, two Grevy-Zebars were born this year. Does anybody know the exact birthdates and the sex of the foals ?

5. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Nearly 14 days later since the birth at Munich, Yesterday Indian Rhino"Betty"gave birth to her sixth calf, a male. Mother and calf doing well.

6. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Tierpark's family of Sumatran Elephants are leaving for Madrid on Tuesday morning:

Through our successful elephant breeding is no room in our zoo. We are pleased that our elephants now get a new home in Madrid, "said zoo and zoo director Dr. Andreas Knieriem. "The gray giants were up to three years of Bogor, a bona fide Lichtenberger, who was born in an Indonesian zoo and can now move together."

In cooperation with the European Endangered Species Programme (EEP), the zoo in Madrid was chosen as the new home, the Berliner elephant family originating in Indonesia is there refer a newly built leisure facility. Bull elephant Valentino and his two ladies are Europe's only breeding group of Sumatra elephants and are in Spain provide plenty of offspring. The signs are very good - both female elephants are already pregnant.

The construction work has already begun, for the loading of the four heavyweights on a truck, a very large crane is required. The elephants will then travel to Madrid in special crates in Maxi format. Veterinarian Dr. Günter Strauss explains "The move is expected to last 40 hours -. There are of course inserted sufficient breaks for the supply of elephants"

Sumatran elephants are with a shoulder height of up to 3 meters, the smallest of all the Asian elephant species. In her home in Indonesia estimated to be living only 2400-2800 Sumatran elephants, they are therefore threatened as strong.

In Tierpark Berlin life after the move still six African and six Asian elephants.

Herzlich Willkommen im Tierpark | Tierpark Berlin - Adiós Elefante! ? Elefantenfamilie zieht nach Madrid

7. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

8. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The male came from Berlin Zoo, but was born in Leipzig in 2010, the female 2014.

9. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

According to the tierpark's Facebook page 18million euro developments have been agreed. 5million for the new himalaya area, 10million
    for improved pachyderm house and 3million for improved office space. The renovations should be finished by 2017

10. markmeier

markmeier Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Al: It's amazing news, even though you got some of the details wrong: The Himalaya complex is hoped to open in 2017, whereas the building process for the pachydermy building is only scheduled to start at that time. And considering how long it already takes with the early projects (Brehm-building, playgrounds...), this schedule still seems highly optimistic to me. But nevertheless, I am excited that it will finally be possible to tackle some of the biggest points of criticism (cat exhibits, elephant indoor exhibits, sun bear exhibits). I am really curious as to what the exact plans will look like.

11. Al

Sorry google translate isn't that reliable! Is there much information on what species the himalaya area will include? Will this lead to the dispersal of other species in this area to other parts of the tierpark?

Regarding the pachyderm house I guess that to renovate such a large house most animals would need to be relocated? It will be interesting to see how that will do this!

12. markmeier

No worries, I know the problem too well ;)

Well, there only is the list from the ZEP, naming some main species (and some mixed species exhibits):
    -snow leopard
    -golden takin + goral
    -red panda
    -Marco-Polo sheep + markhor
    -Mishmi takin + tufted deer
    -Thorold's deer
    -bharal

I don't know how close they will actually stick to it and which other species may still be added. So far there also is no details on species that may be removed or relocated.

I am also very curious about the details and - still more so - the implementation of these plans. So far I always was told the building is not suited for major remodeling. I hope this Information was incorrect.

13. Al

I know they want to use the large piles of sand/soil but do wonder if the Himalaya area is the most interesting development to start with.

14. markmeier

I think this high priority is mostly due to the requirements for the soil to be moved asap (if it would be entirely removed from the park, this would also take some millions and make a lot of dirt and noise without any gain). Having said that, the mountain area may well benefit from some interesting carnivores such as snow leopards or red pandas. The early plans even include a third entrance with additional car parking for this area which may actually be a rather good idea.

Last but not least, the Himalaya is only one out of three big projects which are now being prepared all at the same time. The Brehm building and the pachydermy building represent the largest (and most often criticized) buildings in the entire park.

15. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Red howler monkey born at Tierpark Berlin :).

16. markmeier

Two out of four sun bears have been transfered to the Netherlands. Apparently, the remaining two are to be kept INSIDE the Brehm-building in the near future - rather than receiving a separate building adjacent to it. If this should happen, there probably will be a new outside enclosure attached to the Brehm-buidling.

17. Al

As much as I hated the sun bear enclosures, it will be interesting to see if they will continue to be as successful breeding them with the move. As a species it seems that only a small handful of zoos are able to breed them.

Any idea of where there enclosure will be off the building? Have many cat species left yet?

18. markmeier

The cougars have gone as well as some jaguars, leopards and tigers. The pallas cat has moved to the mountain area of the Tierpark and the snow leopards are planned to move there as well.

As to the sun bears: Of course there are no concrete plans or renderings so far. So there is much space for speculation. An early visualisation showed the sun bear enclosure as a separate area near the main entrance of the Brehm-building. But in recent publications and press releases the sun bears were mentioned in connection with the Brehm-building itself (now the word "INSIDE" was used rather than "next to"). So some believe that they may rather be kept in one of the two large indoor exhibits which now house tigers and lions. Both are to be largely expanded and the tigers are to receive a huge outdoor enclosure right between the two indoor halls. If the tigers don't Need both indoor halls, the bears could use the other one and receive a separete outdoor enclosure (apparently there already is an opening in the respective wall, as Dathe already planned an outside enclosure at this location decades ago). But they could also be kept in one of the wings which presently consist of 7 separate boxes each (they will be merged into one large complex each which may or may not allow to form separate sub-structures/ enclosures).

But I hope that things will become more clear soon. The construction work for Brehm-building and Himalaya is planned to start in 2016 (for the pachydermy building 2017). So there better be detailled plans soon...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.