Join our zoo community

Berlin Tierpark Tierpark Berlin, what should I not miss?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by ketoflukes, 8 Aug 2022.

1. ketoflukes

ketoflukes Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! Visiting Tierpark Berlin shortly and I wanted to know your opinions on which animals / exhibits and feedings I should absolutely not miss during my time in the park?

Thank you all :)

2. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The camelid meadows, the refurbished Alfred-Brehm-House, the new Himalaya section, the lemur walkthrough exhibit, the improved primate house and the various ungulate exhibits. As for species: great bustard, takins(plural!), argali, mangshan viper & Malayan king cobra, among others.

Max Blundell likes this.
  3. Therabu

Therabu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Even though there are not as rare as they used to, it is easy to miss Chacoan pecarries (and Chacoan owls). In this area there is also great bustards, and a large enclosure for hog deer and nilgaï, between the camel meadow and historical deer enclosures.
    Other area easy to miss, is the Bawean hog deer enclosure, between kangaroo and dama gazelle on the map.
    Taiga musk deer can be seen on the fringe of the park, in front of muskox.
    If you like birds, make not sure not to miss the Pheasantry as well.
    If you have one day and it is your first time, I would maybe advise to sacrifice bears and domestics area and see at the end of the day if you still have time (and energy) left to dedicate as it is not without interest (the gull aviary for example).

4. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would like to see the only Daurian pikas in Europe. The Tierpark is one of 2 ZTL zoos with Bawean deer, mountain reedbuck. and gerenuks and 1 of 4 with Balabac chevotrains.

5. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The gull aviary which is home to Harlequin ducks, Silver gulls, and Eider ducks if you have never seen them before. I agree you should maybe save it for the end of the day.

Make sure not to miss the Great bustards as Batto already advised. On your way to the Deer area, from the Castle, they will be on your left side in a large exhibit.

The Pikas are still off-show, the Reedbucks are just before the Giraffenhouse.
    I'm not sure if it's still open, but left from the entrance is/was the Crocodile house which was home to many interesting passerines.

6. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The crocodile house is closed unfortunately.

Rayane likes this.
  7. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What a shame, closed during Covid, then closed for real, it was full of nice birds

AthleticBinturong likes this.
  8. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah it’s a big shame, the snake house closing was a pity too although that was gone before my first visit.

9. Gibbonsagainstgravity

Gibbonsagainstgravity Well-Known Member Premium Member

I go to this zoo every year, and am always happy to visit. However, on my last visit, I for the first time discovered the path behind the rainforest house. Although easy to miss, it has three unique-in-captivity species: Honey badger, Masked palm civet, Eurasian ground squirrel.

Max Blundell likes this.