Join our zoo community

tiger abuse at Afamosa safari park

Discussion in 'Malaysia' started by Chlidonias, 23 May 2010.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Malaysia wildlife park under fire over Tiger video - Yahoo!Xtra News
    watch the video: there is no way this tiger is simply sleepy after a big meal as the manager claims!

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well, it is not quite as bad as the article quote makes it sound - the tiger is not really prodded and poked by the handler (I was envisioning a pointed stick or something). All he does is hold the tiger's head up on his knee. HOWEVER, the tiger is drugged - no question about it - and as such it is definitely a disgraceful practice.

3. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Animal welfare is often done a lot of harm by the use of inaccurate and misleading words - sometimes to the point of outright lies.

In this case the animal is not being prodded or poked as the text says.

It is, however, being dreadfully abused - drugged, whiskers pulled, nostrils tugged, kneed etc.

The use of the right words to describe the abuse would help to restore some of the credibility that the movement has lost.

4. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

There is absolutely no question here. This is abuse. The Tiger is drugged. Until the so called reputable zoos around the world cease their posing with large cats we will not be able to point a finger.
    My take on this : How Not To Treat A Tiger!

5. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A'Famosa is purely profit driven and has no educational or conservation value. Its sad that they had to resort to drugging the tiger, although I've read that they've stopped the photography sessions.

Unfortunately the wildlife agencies in Malaysia lack the resolve and authority to clamp down on such practices.

6. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Peter, how do I leave a comment on that site? I tried to comment using Open ID but was knocked back.

7. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

I would give it another couple of tries. There are no blocks on it. I have to filter out rubbish comments on most days so it should come through.

8. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is awful and disgusting. While watching the youtubevideo, I wished that the tiger is waking up from the drugs and taking revanche to the handler and the stupid visitors.