Join our zoo community

tiger attack in Chinese zoo

Discussion in 'China' started by torie, 20 Nov 2007.

1. torie

torie Well-Known Member

this comes from a horrible story of a poor zoo in nortwest China were the tigers ganged up on one of their own and eventually ate it. this shocking story did raise one question for me... the tiger had its Center Leg bitten off... which one is a tigers Center leg?

"The desperate tigers, which are supposed to be under the highest level of state protection in China, turned on the12-year-old,330-pound tiger and tore off its center leg on Saturday afternoon atthe privately-owned Shenyang Glacier Zoo in Shenyang,capital ofnortheast Chinas Liaoning Province."

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

i think its a delicate way of saying "the tiger's penis"......

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Orientals(does that include China?) seem very coy about this sort of thing. The sending of Rhino Andalas to Sumatra was described by their local papers with all sorts of euphamisms about 'finding love' and 'manliness' etc- anything to avoid saying they hope he will MATE...

I didn't know tigers went for each others genitals when they fight. Some species certainly do- chimpanzees and the stallions of equid species to name a couple...;)

4. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I watched the news report video on a China-version of Youtube. The tiger had its left hind leg/rump completely stripped to the bone. Left ear was also ripped off.

The zoo can't provide enough food for its animals. The caretakers mentioned that the zoo is not attracting enough visitors, hence doesn't have the money to feed its animals. Each tiger receives only ONE chicken every 2/3 days. Out of desperation, some its deer and horses have been slaughtered to feed the carnivores.

Here's the video link, its all in Chinese though. But it shows clear footage of the dead tiger.
    动物å›*虎食ä¸ÂÂ足 东åŒâ€â€ÃƒÂ¨Ã¢â€žÂ¢Ã…½Ã©Â¥Â¥Ã©Â¥Â¿Ã©Å¡Â¾Ã¨â‚¬ÂÂçëŸé£ŸåÂŒ类-视频-优酷视频-东åŒâ€â€ÃƒÂ¨Ã¢â€žÂ¢Ã…½

Last edited: 21 Nov 2007