Join our zoo community

Tiger breeding ban

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by vogelcommando, 4 Jul 2016.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I wish if possible, some 30 tigers (if Indochinese) from Thai zoos, to be sent in other zoos, for starting of captive breeding of Indochinese tiger.

3. overread

overread Well-Known Member

Part of me wonders if the supply of captive produce is ceased won't that then just have a knock on effect of boosting the price and thus attractiveness to poachers of the wild stock. I've often felt that where there's a market there will be a supply when it comes to peoples demands.

Trying to cut the supply is one solution; but generally speaking cut off one source and the market will seek out another; about all you can achieve is restricting the market through economics so that instead of being commonly affordable you get it becoming more and more niche; however in todays world there are sufficient affluent people to be a serious problem.

The only real way is to cut demand; however that seems to be a very hard nut to crack and I feel its why so many schemes focus then on the potential supply.

It's a risk as similarly cutting supply more and more and thus driving the price up; in theory; also drives the market smaller and thus potentially makes it easier to prosecute/tackle.

Reading the article this ban seems to be a short term step in achieving a national DNA database structure. Then allowing breeding to commence thereafter whilst the government can then keep better tabs on the individual tigers and their offspring. Although any site undertaking illegal activities might well just keep breeding tigers; but it gives another level of legislation to prosecute them under if/when they are caught (which might be the overall intention as any legally operating site wouldn't in theory; be trading into the tiger parts market).

4. vogelcommando

5. vogelcommando