Join our zoo community

Tiger escape

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by vogelcommando, 14 May 2016.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. overread

overread Well-Known Member

Shame there were not more details on how they escaped - I wonder how it happened?

3. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The news reported that a gate was left open. Although this has not been confirmed yet.

4. overread

That would surely mean two gates were left open? I can't imagine many places would be allowed to keep tigers without a duel gate/barrier system in place. Even if it were not in legislation keeping any wild animal with only a one door system is a risk and even more so for those that are powerful/large/dangerous.

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

it doesn't sound like the kind of place which would bother with dual gates. This article - Police catch two escaped tigers near Dutch village - says "Police said that the animals did not leave the land on which the centre is located, though it did not have secure fences so they felt it necessary to put out the alert."

The centre's website is here: Our animals

6. overread

Doesn't look like their website has been touched in 2 years or more though their facebook has some news (though nothing on the tigers unless it got buried). Must admit I would have thought if they have no perimeter fence (risky but somewhat understandable for a smaller operation with less resources as perimeters can be quite extensive) they would certainly have had duel gate systems on their pens. Just seems like common sense.

Cats shouldn't need the whole cage duel fenced just the entrance/exit areas (from what I can tell duel fencing in most zoos is purely there to keep people at a safe distance from long feline claws getting them when they rush up to the fence line).

Still glad that the cats were caught and it seems didn't roam too far from their home area

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

their only Facebook page appears to be the general one for FOUR PAWS International, which owns the centre but doesn't have anything even nearly recent posted on it about them.

8. overread

Ahh I only had a quick glance.
    Then again if the centre isn't really pushing for the visiting public I can understand how websites (basically publicity) might well get ignored. That and many many times the website it started by someone who then moves onto another job or gains new work on site and it gets ignored.