Join our zoo community

Indianapolis Zoo Tiger Forest opening

Discussion in 'United States' started by DAKFan, 24 May 2011.

1. DAKFan

DAKFan Active Member

The Indianapolis Zoo is opening their new Tiger Forest exhibit this upcoming Saturday. I was able to tour the new exhibit and it is very nice. The entire exhibit was refurbished with a new pool, rockwork, landscaping etc. Gone are the windows with the harp wire and double fencing and those are replaced with layer of mesh and invisi mesh(sp?). There are feeding chutes in several places around the exhibits. Keepers will do chats and feeding and the visitors will be able to see these.

The new glass viewing area is very nice. This will be a very popular spot. There is only one entrance for the room and I can see a possible issue with parents who have strollers. It could be a bottleneck area but time will tell on that. The glass room gives great views of both yards and the zoo hopes the tigers will be more visible from what they were in the past.

The smaller yard will feature educational chats and a training window.

Next on the agenda for the zoo is a supposed redo of the Lion exhibit, Islands featuring Komodo Dragons and then the Orangutan exhibit.

2. DAKFan

DAKFan Active Member

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You mention a larger and smaller yard. I was only at this zoo once, for half a day in 2001. I only recall one tiger yard. Was the second one always there and I just don't remember? Or did they add it next to the existing yard? Or did they cut the existing yard in two?

4. DAKFan

DAKFan Active Member

They have always had 2 yards there. At one point they had Snow Leopards in the smaller yard. Now it's completely tigers.