Join our zoo community

Dreamworld tiger handler going to Sumatra

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 8 Jun 2010.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

note also the line at the bottom about a dolphin calf being born at Seaworld
    Theme park handler to track tigers - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

2. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A 47 year old Dolphin had a calf, I find that incredable, how long do they live for.

3. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I have photos of it only 48 hours old.

:p

Hix

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is really nice that staff from the zoo get some real life experience off in situ conservation by joining field staff in Sumatera.

5. Turkana

Turkana Member

I think Tiger Island should be commended for their continued commitment to in-situ tiger conservation. Makes a change for a facility to walk the walk, not just talk the talk, with regards to supporting in-situ.

6. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Dreamworld has done loads for in-situ conservation and with regards to tigers more than most. I would just like to say that alot of the in-situ work done by zoos is done outside the public eye.

7. ptig

ptig Well-Known Member

There are a number of zoos that do commit themselves to in-situ efforts and they should make sure that the media and their public base know about it. It drives additional dollars available for in-situ projects.

There though are many institutions that "hang" their hats on just having Sumatran program animals with nothing going in-situ. Everyone is aware that the only real chance for tigers going forward is to spend the resources on projects in range countries.

8. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

I would have to agree 100% with you on that :)

9. Turkana

Turkana Member

Why "outside the public eye"? I can understand the breeding of sensitive species, but generally this statement makes no sense to me when conservation and education go hand in hand with one another.
    On the contrary, many of the "bigger" zoos make sure they get maximum media mileage and exposure for their small contribution to in-situ conservation! Or sit back and rely on the dedication and commitment of some of their keepers and use that as an example of the zoo's commitment to supporting in-situ.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2010