Join our zoo community

Dreamworld Tiger Island Review

Discussion in 'Australia' started by MARK, 17 Jul 2009.

1. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

On our visit to Tiger Island in Febuary Ben and myself spent about one hour watching an adult male Tiger on display along with four very cute cubs playing in the main exhibit area, all were very active in the time we spent watching them, there were also two keepers standing watch with them and freely awswering all the questions that the public had to throw at them.

It's been about ten years since my last visit which was when Tiger Island had their first litter of cubs, since then the exhibit area has changed very little and still looks in good shape.

We were taken to the off -exhibit area by Tiger Islands head cat Manager who talked freely about their Tigers and some of their future plans, I must say first I was impressed about seeing all of the Tigers that were in such wonderful condition including some of the older cats, it was good to see this. The behind the scenes areas were spotless and the Tiger holding pens were very well ventilated.

I was happy to see Tiger Islands Sumatran tiger pair at such close quarters as they are not on public display, they have their own grassed area to roam around in the off display area. We saw the pairs first litter of two and also their last litter of three. The first two cubs are due to be sent to other ARAZPA zoos in the near furture. It's been quite some time since I had seen seven Sumatran Tigers in one place and they appear to be thriving here.

I guess Tiger Island is best known for it's White Tigers and just sitting back watching the public talking about them and how striking they looked. I can see how they do "bring in" much of the general public to see them, once the public are in, they get the informative Tiger conservation talk, of which many of them seemed to be listening to. With all of the Tigers at the Island there were only two of the White colour with the others being the normal Orange colour.

A surprise we had not expected was getting our photo taken with the big male White Tiger "Mohan" which was completely unexpected and something I will never forget, it's amazing how much bigger the cats look when you are standing next to them.

I was told Tiger Island hope to be adding "Under water viewing" in the next few years and I hope to visit again when this is completed. I do hope the Sumatrans do one day have there own exhibit area for the public to be able to see these stunning animals.

All in all. I feel they are doing a really good job promoting and educating the public about conservation matters concerning wild tigers. Also the fact they do donate quite a few dollars to Tiger conservation in the wild.

In my humble opinion I give Tiger Island the thumbs up for the work they are doing and I thank them for allowing us the time to see us and talk to us.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2009
  2. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

It's a shame I was unable to go with you. Great review, looking forward to hearing reviews of the other places you visited.

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Very nice review "Rhino Man". Cheers!:)

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Where are the first 2 Sumatran tiger cubs going to?

5. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

From what I can remember one of the cubs would be going to a zoo in New Zealand and the other to one of the smaller zoos in Australia

6. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

National Zoo and Aquarium? They've been on the hunt for a second Sumatran to pair with their male for a while (they also have a Bengal).

7. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Yes I do think you are right about the National zoo, I am sure it was them

8. ptig

ptig Well-Known Member

Dreamworld's sumatrans

The two juvenile tigers that are moving are going to national Zoo and to Western Plains. These two will be moved by end of the year. One of them in probably the next month or two.

Dreamworld fully supports the program and always understood that the off-spring from Raja and Soraya would be moving on.

9. Electus Parrot

Electus Parrot Well-Known Member

I remember Mohan - he is a very big boy. Does anyone know how old he is because I remember seeing him in 2003, a highlight of my trip.

10. ptig

ptig Well-Known Member

Mohan

Mohan is 14 turning 15 in November. He is doing well.

11. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cub to New Zealand?

Is it confirmed that a cub will be coming to New Zealand? Do you know which zoo?

Thanks.

12. Nisha

Could be Orana Park in Christchurch or Hamilton Zoo?. Orana currently house 2:0. Hamilton have 1:1 (Brother and sister) Auckland won't have space until moving there 3 cubs on. Wellington are already having another female in the near future. At least 1 male is going to have to be moved from either zoo to make room for her. Seems a little strange :confused:

13. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A few years ago Hamilton said they were eventually going to move Jaka so they could get a male tiger from a different blood line to breed with Mencari.

14. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Tiger going to New Zealand is coming from TWPZ.

15. Nisha

In that case she's called Isha was born at Melbourne and is going to Wellington Zoo as a mate for the resident male Rokan.

16. jay

Isha and Rokan are closely related, being first cousins once removed.
    Nico-Shiva-Ramalon-Isha
    Nico-Jambi-Rokan

17. Nisha

Yes sorry you have said that to me before :eek:

18. jay

Oh have I, sorry to repeat myself