Join our zoo community

Tiger King

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by littleRedPanda, 21 Mar 2020.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They can be found for sale online pretty frequently.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

That thread does not support your earlier statement of "Many Tigers labeled as "Indochinese" in the private trade are actually Malayan, so it might not be generic." - what was said in that thread was that the Indochinese Tigers in American zoos are actually Malaysian Tigers.

ZooBinh likes this.
  3. birdsandbats

DeYoung is a roadside zoo, all of their animals would be obtained through the private trade.

4. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I can't speculate on what the poster there meant exactly, but it's also entirely possible for a tiger in private trade to be listed as Indochinese or Malayan and still just be a generic. I can't be 100% sure, of course, but the unlikelihood of subspecific tigers in legal, private US trade has been discussed on other parts of the forum before.

5. birdsandbats

I understand this but pure Malayan should at least be considered as a possibility.

6. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Okay then, it's a possibility - as is the zoo keeping Golden Jackal. Personally I'm skeptical of both notions.

Azamat Shackleford and ZooBinh like this.
  7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Your thought-process is missing several chains. Saying that a roadside zoo has what they label as Indochinese Tigers certainly does not equal "Many Tigers labeled as "Indochinese" in the private trade are actually Malayan" - and then dropping immediately to "but pure Malayan should at least be considered as a possibility" shows how entirely lacking your evidence is. You've gone from a definitive statement of fact, straight to pleading that it's "a possibility".

If the "Bengal Tigers" at roadside zoos are not actually Bengal Tigers, then why would you hold that their "Indochinese Tigers" must be the genuine article?

Even if the De Young tigers are genuinely Malaysian Tigers you have no idea where they got them from, and that therefore still doesn't support your statement of "Many Tigers labeled as "Indochinese" in the private trade are actually Malayan" because you're working from an unknown starting point.

Azamat Shackleford and ZooBinh like this.
  8. Azamat Shackleford

Azamat Shackleford Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I also highly doubt that DeYoung Family Zoo would have "Indochinese" as well, probably just labelling as a gimmick to draw in more crowds... it's unfortunately common for roadside zoos to mislabel animals on-purpose.

9. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just as many non-AZA zoos list their leopards as African leopards, even though there are no pure-blooded African leopard subspecies in this country that I know of. Of course even the largest and most reputable AZA facilities are prone to mistakes as well, as noted by this at San Diego Safari Park: [​IMG]

10. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me what defines a roadside zoo? I know what it means, but I don’t know what privately-owned zoos would fall under that category. I know joe exotics ”zoo” would be considered one but I want to know before think about going to one.

11. birdsandbats

I really don't think any roadside zoos are intentionally mislabeling animals, I suspect most just don't know what they actually have!

12. Arizona Docent

I suspect you are correct.

13. Arizona Docent

That is a legitimate question and it is sometimes hard to know unless you go in person (at which point you may regret going). There are definitely privately-run, non-accredited facilities that are good, a great example being my friends at Cat Haven who do more for conservation (relative to their size and budget) than probably any AZA facility. I have a feeling however they are the exception and not the rule. A good first step is to look on ZooChat and see if anyone (cough - @snowleopard - cough) has already visited and written a review.

14. Azamat Shackleford

I forgot to mention about AZA zoos as well doing this. Many zoos with generic giraffes do the same thing by coating them as "Reticulated" or "Rothschild/Baringo" giraffes, and AFAIK SeaWorld San Diego calls their hybrid short-beaked common X Atlantic bottlenose dolphin as simply a Short-beaked common dolphin as well.

15. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

When I visited Joe Exotic's zoo in 2015 there was a very blonde coyote in an unlabeled cage. I see coyotes all the time (literally in my backyard on more than a dozen occasions in the past two years) and the one in Oklahoma could easily have been mistaken for a "golden jackal' as it was the lightest coloured coyote I've ever seen. Here is a photo:

[​IMG]

16. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Generally, if an American zoo is not AZA accredited or ZAA accredited and privately run, then there is a great chance that it could be classified as a "roadside zoo". I've visited exactly 372 zoos in the United States (286 zoos/86 aquariums) and 520 zoos (413 zoos/107 aquariums) in total, and I've toured dozens of roadside menageries in the U.S. that are privately-run, not accredited by any governing organization, and in many cases downright shoddy in terms of overall quality. There are at least a dozen or more just in California, another dozen or more in Wisconsin, plus plenty of others all across the United States. Browse the ZooChat gallery for some eye-raising photos. :eek:

Arizona Docent likes this.
  17. birdsandbats

I'm pretty sure that dolphin IS actually a hybrid.

18. Azamat Shackleford

I said that.

TinoPup likes this.
  19. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

20. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

He didn't forfeit it, that's him spinning it :D He lost it due to animal care. A new USDA inspection was posted a few hours ago. During the June inspection, a 16 week old lion was so thin and lethargic, the inspector actually stopped the inspection and immediately took the animal to a vet. Lowe was ordered to get care for several others ASAP, which he had not done by the July inspection.
    He seems to think that by closing the zoo to the public, he'll be allowed to keep all of the animals.

Jungle Man likes this.