Join our zoo community

Tiger Species

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Zoofan15, 11 Apr 2017.

1. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm going to say something radical, which is that the species-subspecies system of classification was made long before genetic research was possible, and the current trend of research does not always make for results easily translatable into the existing systems of classification. Even if we can determine with certainty the distance of two animals, translating that difference into species-subspecies is not an exact science, and likely never will be. There's no biological benchmark, ala Jibster

My issue here is that the presentation of the relevant research in the two reports I read contained no commentary on the genetics of the matter, only optimism about how it might simplify tiger conservation. I am sure the scientific paper might have more information, but that doesn't sound like a vote of confidence, imo

Also, just to own up - I'm very used to discussing this stuff in the vernacular and sometimes say 'the species' when I mean a subspecies, and fully apologize. This is not the place for me to make that kind of conflation.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  2. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

Not radical at all, JVM - we're of the same mind on the topic. There is no real consensus on how the subspecies/species issue translates into conservation issues (note how the IUCN red book does not even list bird subspecies, but does evaluate at least some mammal subspecies).

And I forgive you for the whole species/subspecies confusion - many on the list are quick to issue corrections or use studies that have not been around long enough to be generally accepted (e.g., relating to the species status of the northern white rhinoceros, the number of species/subspecies of giraffe, the newest artiodactyl study that greatly increases the number of accepted "species") and in these cases, either term can often be correct depending on what study you put most faith in.

JVM and Arizona Docent like this.
  3. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In a long-discussed move, the government of Kazakhstan has announced the first "Caspian" tiger reintroduction program.

The WWF-backed project centres on a new nature reserve bordering Lake Balkhash. Extensive habitat restoration and re-establishing a prey base are necessary, coupled with training rangers and community engagement. Releases are not expected until at least 2025.

Tigers went extinct in southwestern Ili-Balkhash 70 years ago.

Kazakhstan to reintroduce wild tigers after 70-year absence

Last edited: 9 Sep 2017
  4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The program also calls first and foremost for reestablishing significant populations of kulan and Bactrian deer here, both endangered species in the country.

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Brum likes this.
  6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Arizona Docent likes this.
  7. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The situation has become more confusing.

The IUCN Cat Classification Force has revised its taxonomy to recognize only two P. t. tigris and P. t. sondaica as valid subspecies. The paper makes some interesting observations in general, but on tigers, it's sadly a little lacking, focused on analyzing the Sunda populations, which in my experience are actually under less dispute among those I've spoken with here and elsewhere. It does curiously suggest that the Malayan tiger is a nomen nudum, as it was never formally described as expected. (As has been discussed elsewhere, it also recommends further research on leopards, collapsing Amur into North Chinese, and follows the two species model for lions with an extra note or two on the Asiatic population.)

A Revised Taxonomy of the Felidae

The following article sheds a little more light on the already discussed study, but features commentary from both sides of the aisle on the issue from scientists in China, Russia and Germany. The quotations attributed to the team acknowledge but seem to downplay genetic markers between known groups, while skeptics suggest the team's use of morphological and ecological concerns is outright dismissive of the genetics.

Controversial study claims there are only two types of tiger (ScienceMag)

Late last year in October, however, the results of a genome-widy study were published in Current Biology that concluded that there are still six distinct living (sub)species of Tiger, each with a distinct evolutionary history more so than other living big cats, though acknowledging limited data on the South China subspecies. As a result, the project will continue to search out historical specimens of the South China tiger, as well as the three known extinct subspecies to make more detailed comparisons.

Genome-wide study confirms six tiger subspecies

So, there is still a great deal of unresolved scientific debate on the matter, primarily based around the importance and relevance of certain genetic markers, but the IUCN has formally adopted the position that there are two tiger subspecies.

8. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Once the scientists have finished arguing, most of the 'sub-species' will be extinct. Then I guess, their conclusions will be easier to make. In the meantime, zoos must do what they can...

bongorob, TeaLovingDave and JVM like this.
  9. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

The title of this thread (I didn't saw it untilnow) is just annoying, likely a zoo visitor that call squirrel to a lemur or some other of the delicacies that zoochatters put in the thread about "Things that irritate you when you visit a zoo" (or something like that). Can please some moderator edit the title and the first posts for correct the flagrant errors, if MilleniaLad is agree in it?

10. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I really see no problem. Maybe edit it to subspecies, but really, there is nothing annoying. The conversation has been about tiger subspecies discussion. And, his name is Zoofan15, I know the avatar says Millenial Lad, but still.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  11. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It’s somewhat ironic that your post which complains of my post containing errors, contains at least nine errors itself.

I’m actually more bothered about how I uncessarily capitilised ‘tiger’ several times, when listing the sub species; but nonetheless acknowledge my mistake in confusing the concept of species with subspecies and consent to moderators editing it in the manner suggested by @ZooBinh (if they have the time and/or the inclination).

ZooBinh likes this.