Join our zoo community

Tigers, Lions, & Leopards OH, MY! (Big Cats)

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ThylacineAlive, 24 Oct 2012.

1. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well, I do keep a list of my sightings. But your list did make me think of posting lists on here.

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Do you keep a log of the animals you see in zoos/aquariums? Obviously, you must have one for Beardsley or do you just know the place so well you don't need one?

3. BeardsleyZooFan

I'm working on a list for all the mammals I've seen, but so far I'm working on individual classes of animals. I don't do lists by zoo of what I've seen, although that's not a bad idea.

4. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

Smithsonian National Zoo:Caracal - Caracal caracal ,Cat, fishing - Prionailurus viverrinus,Cheetah - Acinonyx jubatus ,Clouded leopard - Neofelis nebulosa,Lion, African - Panthera leo leo,Tiger, Sumatran - Panthera tigris sumatrae

Philadelphia Zoo:African lion Panthera leo krugeri,Amur leopard Panthera pardus orientalis,Amur tiger Panthera tigris altaica,Black-footed cat Felis nigripes,Canada lynx Lynx canadensis canadensis,Cheetah Acinonyx jubatus jubatus,
    Jaguar Panthera onca,Puma Puma concolor,Snow leopard Uncia uncia

Akron Zoo:AFRICAN LION(Panthera leo), JAGUAR(Panthera onca),SNOW LEOPARD(uncia uncia),SUMATRAN TIGER(Panthera tigris sumatrae)

Cincinnati Zoo:AFRICAN LIONPanthera leo,BLACK-FOOTED CATFelis nigripes,BOBCATLynx rufus,CARACALCaracal caracal,CLOUDED LEOPARDNeofelis nebulosa,COUGARPuma concolor,FISHING CATPrionailurus viverrinus,MALAYAN TIGERPanthera tigris jacksoni,PALLAS’ CATOctocolobus manul,SAND CATFelis margarita,SIBERIAN LYNXLynx lynx wrangeli,SNOW LEOPARDUncia uncia,SOUTHERN BRAZILIAN OCELOTLeopardus pardalis mitis,WHITE TIGER
    Panthera tigris*Didn't see cheetah or ocelot

Toledo Zoo:Amur Tiger Panthera tigris altaica,Cheetah Acinonyx jubatus jubatus,Snow Leopard Panthera uncia

Detroit Zoo(Panthera leo) – Lion,Amur Tiger

Erie Zoo:AFRICAN LION(Panthera Leo),Amur Leopard(Pardus Orentalis),Amur Tiger(Tigris Altaica)Jaguar(Panthera Onca)Pallas' Cat(Octocolobus Manul)Sand Cat(Felis margarita)

Cleveland Zoo:Black-Footed cat(Felis Nigripes),Fishing Cat(Prionailurus viverrinus),Cheetah(Acinonyx Jubatus),Persian Leopard(Panthera Pardus Saxicolor)Snow Leopard(Panthera Uncia) Lion(Panthera Leo) Ocelot(Pongo Pygmaeus Pygmaeus),Tiger, Amur (Siberian)(Panthera tigris altaica)

Ogelbay Good Zoo:Ocelot

Elmwood Park Zoo:BOBCATLynx rufus,JAGUARpanthera onca,MOUNTAIN LIONPuma concolor

Cape May County Zoo:African LionPanthera leo,Amur TigerPanthera tigris,Bobcat,CheetahAcinonyx jubatus,OcelotLeopardus pardalis,Snow LeopardPanthera uncia uncia

Columbus Zoo:Fishing Cat (Prionailurus viverrinus),African Leopard (Panthera pardus),African Lion (Panthera leo),Amur Tiger (Panthera tigris altaica),Pallas's Cat (Otocolobus manul),Bobcat (Lynx rufus)Cougar (Puma concolor),serval & Eurasian Lynx behind the scenes

San Diego Zoo:North Chinese Leopard,Malayan Tiger(Panthera Tigris Jacksoni),Serval,Jaguar (Panthera Onca) Black Jaguar,Amur Leopard(Panthera Pardus),Mountain Lion,Fishing Cat,Snow Leoaprd,Eurasian Lynx,Ocelot,Caracal

5. BeardsleyZooFan

jusko88- Why is there a frowny face near Detroit?

6. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

its a typo hahahahaha

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

it's meant to say Detroit: and then (Panthera leo) but he left out the gap between the : and the ( which makes the frowny face.

i.e. with gap: Detroit: (Panthera leo)
    without gap: Detroit:(Panthera leo)

Or perhaps Detroit just made him feel sad.

8. ThylacineAlive

You've seen my website.:)
    Still waiting to go to the Central Park Zoo. Definetly got to get that on there. Also, I'd love a pic of a Polar Bear and the only penguin species I've seen are Magellanic and African. But this is a Big Cat thread so I will not get into this.

9. ThylacineAlive

Sorry no Panthera leo leos at the National Zoo. They are really Panthera lep krugeri. I made the same mistake but people like BeardsleyZooFan and jbnbsn99 had to kill my dream and correct me.:p

10. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My list

Bobcat - my back yard
    Generic Cougar - Local Sanctuary Untamed Mountain HOME OF TIGERS FOR TOMORROW
    Generic Lion - Birmingham Zoo
    Bengal Tiger - Birmingham Zoo
    Malayan Tiger - Birmingham Zoo
    Sumatran Tiger - Zoo Atlanta
    Generic Tiger - Tigers for Tomorrow
    Siberian Tiger - Tigers for Tomorrow
    Generic Leopard - Birmingham Zoo Tigers for Tomorrow
    Snow Leopard - Birmingham/Chattanooga Zoo
    Clouded Leopard - Nashville Zoo
    Ocelot - Tigers for Tomorrow
    Serval - Tigers for Tomorrow

11. BeardsleyZooFan

All tigers classified as Bengal Tigers are really Generic Tigers, in the US.

12. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

oh ok the one I was referring to was Moti who was a white tiger. I thought only Bengals went white.

13. BeardsleyZooFan

All white tigers are inbred as far as my information goes, and have probably been bred with different subspecies in the past.

14. Chlidonias

only the wild white tigers are Bengal. The captive ones have been cross-bred with Siberians a lot to make them bigger, paler, etc etc. There are no pure Bengals (of any colour) left outside the Indian subcontinent.

15. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

So, you're saying that, as a completely fictional example, if Black Rhinos were originally called "N***** Rhinos", that usage would be OK, as it is a species name, and you wouldn't change it even though the term "N*****" had since become offensive?

It appears that (from what I have read here) in the US, "Asiatic" has similar (although less extreme) negative connotations to "N*****", and so its use is inappropriate. In contrast, in Europe (and Australasia for that matter) the connotation does not exist as far as I am aware, so Asiatic is used. Just because Americans find it offensive, doesn't mean that everyone does, and if Europeans don't find it offensive, then why should they stop using it? For example, some find the word Eskimo offensive, but in NZ we don't, and have a marshmallow-type candy called "Eskimos" which apparently aggravate some people, but not most New Zealanders.

Interestingly, Asiatic appears to be specifically used for lions, but not for many other species, e.g. Asian small-clawed otters, Asian elephants, etc, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Feb 2013
  16. Chlidonias

don't forget Eskimo pies, which caused quite the kerfuffle a few years back when a tourist got upset by it!

America (rather bizarrely) is quite PC over animal names. The Old Squaw has been renamed (long-tailed duck), as has Squawfish (pikeminnow) and probably dozens of place-names. Both remain Old Squaw and Squawfish to me.

Regarding "Asiatic" and "Asian" I say Gir lion, Asiatic black bear, Asian elephant, Asian small-clawed otter. People from Asia in general are Asians. I've never really been aware that "Asiatic" could be used offensively!!

17. zooboy28

I wonder when Eskimo Curlews will be officially renamed?

It is bizarre America is so PC on this front, as they are not very PC on many others!

18. Chlidonias

they could just call it Extinct Curlew

19. zooboy28

Perhaps not, as most names seem to use a different word with a similar meaning, for example "N***** Mountain" became "Colored Mountain", while "Dead N***** Creek" became "Dead Negro Draw" (according to wikipedia). So Eskimo Curlew would should be renamed Inuit Curlew?

20. Chlidonias

yes, but that isn't as amusing to me. Also "extinct" has the same initial sound as "eskimo" (well, sort of). And I'm expecting someone to tell me it isn't extinct at all.

"Colored Mountain" sounds suspiciously like a fake name-change.